Large Flowered Climbing Rose 'Golden Showers'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Showers

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Richardson, Texas

Rockwall, Texas

Moxee, Washington

On Jun 10, 2014, sunshimmer from Shamokin, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted two of these about 4 years ago in spring in full sun on two separate trellis' 4'wx8'H alongside 2 Blaze climbing roses. The first year they got established and grew a little. The second year they sprouted up about 4ft and flowered lightly. They also got blackspot very bad with our wet spring weather we get every year. Third year they really shot up to about 8ft or more. Not sure exactly because I zig-zagged it across my trellis with the Blaze rose. It flowered about 50 flowers each plant for the whole season and got a very bad case of blackspot. This year we had a very severe winter and one of them died completely and the other only had one cane that barely survived. Now it has blackspot again. Spraying it for the blackspot again hoping to revive the little bit that is left. Th... read more

On Nov 21, 2010, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

The 2 1/2" blooms are a true yellow - look like "Spring". I bought it as a shrub rose and was told it would grow as a tall shrub or a climber and it is really tall - about 7' in it's second season. I will probably have to move it to a trellis somewhere in my yard.
It does get quite a bit of black spot in my humid area.
The blooms are a light to moderate fragrance.

On May 4, 2010, aegir from Bethesda, MD wrote:

I've got mine up against an east facing stockade fence, it gives me shady wet roots and full sun for the top of the plant most of the day. It is 3 years old now and trained across the top of my fence for at least 10 feet. Lots of blooms and easy care-3-5" of mulch, feed it twice a year and deadhead away and it just keeps blooming.I also planted clematis x jackmanii next to it and they do well together and when they are both in full flower it looks awesome.

On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1557 has expired

On Apr 6, 2007, Photographer from Moxee, WA (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have 2 of these rose bushes planted about 8 ft apart growing upward in & out of 2 ft wide lattice. Each lattice is held in place by 2....10 ft long 4 inch round poles buried 3 ft in the ground. At the top there's another 8 ft of lattice connecting the 2 lattice that are 7 ft tall. This is my home made rose arbor. I have seen this particular variety of climber rose in numerous gardens in our valley. I went to a local nursery last weekend. This was the only rose variety being sold by this particular store in bags. Given the 1956 patent year ... I'd have to say there are several thousand of this particular rose here in the Yakima Valley. In my opinion this is one of the very best climber roses one can have. Great color.... flowery ... just so nice.

On Apr 16, 2005, Agnis from Ridgefield, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Bloomed constantly from May till I cut it back in December. Was under a blue spruce when I bought the house (whoever planted the spruce planted the rose next to it 40 years ago), in complete shade. I've moved the rose to full sun, and we'll see how it does this year.

On Apr 2, 2005, janders from Rockwall, TX wrote:

Had to learn to spray continuously throughout the summer to keep blackspot in check. After a shaky start, it blooms beautifully and leaves are growing in glossy dark green. High maintenence, but lovely yellow blooms (of course, I've never met a rose I haven't liked). Be especially careful to plant in spot that has good drainage.

On Jan 29, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Shade Tolerant. Disease susceptibility: Disease resistant. Can be pruned to maintain a shorter habit.

On Aug 10, 2002, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Nice yellow and quite big flowers. Flowers are pretty light yellow when they open and turn almost white when they get old.

On Aug 12, 2001, JSS from Cordova, MD wrote: