Common Camellia, Japanese Camellia
Camellia japonica 'Tom Knudsen'

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tom Knudsen

Cheshire, Oregon

West Linn, Oregon

Souderton, Pennsylvania

Humble, Texas

Richmond, Texas (2 reports)

Falls Church, Virginia

On Jan 27, 2015, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Has been a skimpy bloomer for me plus I think it has scale, as has lots if yellow foliage. It may be planted in a place that gets more water than it requires. I won't take out in the hopes it recovers but if I lose
It, I won't replace.

On Jul 21, 2013, suentommy from Souderton, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted two of these camellias out back behind our family room windows. They were only a foot or so tall when I planted them but they have more than doubled in size this year. The foliage is really dark and contrasts nicely with the red flowers. The flowers take two forms - some are formal double and others are a loose semi - double all on the same plant. They both set lots of buds but only half of them bloomed for me. The rest fell off. there were still plenty of flowers. I can't wait until they get bigger.

On Apr 9, 2006, cnswift from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

My camellias seem to be at odds with the profile. I'm in zone 10b and I have them in full sun. They seem to like the conditions just fine and are wonderful bloomers. I use a little Osmocote to make their soil acid. This seemed to make a big difference with blooming.

On Nov 27, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

The deepest scarlet red I have seen in a camellia. Said to be quite difficult to propagate. It is a robust grower, but tends to be more upright and may take some time to 'fill out'. The leaves are very attractive--quite large, a deep, glossy green. I bought this shrub as a young plant from Trehane Nursery, UK, in January 1999. It is now around 6 feet tall.

It hasn't flowered every year well, but did suffer in early years from an infestation of scale insect, which if you are not familiar with can spread rapidly and cause the plant some distress, but is not fatal. I now have to keep a regular watch for scale insect. They attach themselves mostly to the lower midrib at back of the leaf, next to its stem. They are master camouflagers, and can be found on stems and around ... read more

On Mar 8, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

Flowers make a dazzling contrast with the glossy, dark green foliage. Another favorite in my garden!

Low-maintenance plant in my zone.