Night-flowering Jasmine, Tree-of-Sorrow, Tree of Sadness

Nyctanthes arbor-tristis

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nyctanthes
Species: arbor-tristis

Brandon, Florida

Orange Park, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

Schererville, Indiana

On Oct 29, 2015, smileclick from Sydney
Australia wrote:

I purchased some of the coin sized seed from eBay. I soaked two of them in water for 24 hours (in a small heated propagator which heats to approx 32C/90F), then gently pressed them fat side down onto some moist coconut fibre (coir) that I put in a small cup, and sealed them in a zip lock bag. I placed the sealed cup back in the propagator and a week later, one has already sprouted (see photo). I've moved that one out to its own pot.
Note that both viable and unviable seeds float. So maybe naturally, rivers, streams, even floods may be used to carry the seed away from the parent shrub to a new location. That would explain why they float, and the root grows down from the fat (heavier side) of the flat seed (see photo).

It's now 10 days since my post above. I put the ... read more

On Dec 29, 2011, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

An impressive and easy to grow tropical bush, flowers at a quite small size.

On Feb 13, 2009, angel_tree_baby from Chickenville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tree is also known as the tree of sorrow. It has rough sandpaper like leaves and flowers for me the most in the fall winter and a little less in the early spring. The flowers open at night and drop in the morning when the sun hits them. There is a beautiful legend that tells why the flowers drop in the morning sun. They have a honey-jasmine scent similar to cestrum nocturnum but not quite as strong. I grow it in a pot with well drained soil. I water it when it is dry and fertilize once a month. Mine has not made seeds yet. I haven't had much success with rooting cuttings but am still trying lol.