PlantFiles: Variegated Beach Hibiscus, Sea Hibiscus, Cottontree, Mahoe
Talipariti tiliaceum 'Albo-variegatus'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Talipariti (tah-lip-uh-RYE-tee) (Info)
Species: tiliaceum (til-ee-AH-see-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Albo-variegatus
Additional cultivar information: (aka Variegata)

Synonym:Hibiscus tiliaceus

Variegated
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Provides winter interest

From hardwood cuttings
Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
By air layering

Thumbnail #6 of Talipariti tiliaceum by greykoala

By ardesia
Thumbnail #7 of Talipariti tiliaceum by ardesia

Positive shirleyk1 On Sep 23, 2013, shirleyk1 from New Orleans, LA wrote:

What a gorgeous plant! Mine started as a small 1 gal. gift, scrawny but with variegation. It looked pretty rough after it's first winter in the ground last year here in New Orleans, and had a ferocious attack of some leaf-eating bugs this summer that I could never find. I sprayed just once with Thuricide and that worked wonders. It grows in full sun now in the ground at the junction of two sidewalks, regular soil, some time release fertilizer, and a fair amount of root competition. No blooms yet. It is about 4' high and 5' wide, and looks great. I'm going to try some tip cuttings for propagation.

Positive BeachTanned On Apr 14, 2009, BeachTanned from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I planted a three gallon tree in my yard in full sun in Davie (Ft. Lauderdale) last fall (2008). I mixed about a half cup of time-release fertilizer in the soil mix around the root ball. I water it well but very infrequently, perhaps once a month during the dry season unless it rains. The tree seems fairly drought tolerant as it has experienced no wilt between waterings. Though winter temperatures reached the high 30's for short periods this winter, there was no leaf loss. The leaves are incredibly, spectacularly beautiful, as described above, to the point of almost looking artificial due to the myriad colors and shapes of colors. I will enjoy this tree just for the leaf display, but will undoubtedly enjoy the flowers once they begin to show. It is now spring (mid-April, 2009) and the tree has nearly doubled in size: height and width, as well as the girth of the trunk. I am considering removal of the lower limbs so the tree will be higher-branching. So far, no flowers, but I'm looking forward to them. Though I have not been able to locate and identify the critters, there was something eating many, many holes (interveinally, not on the edges) in the leaves. (I did find one lone Japanese Beetle.) I have sprayed with carbaryl (Sevin) twice in a month and the new leaves are now unmolested. I placed some leaves on the ground to find that there is no apparent interest from the numerous iguanas that live here. They LOVE to eat my hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) though. I would like to know why this tree is considered a hazard. Is it root invasive? Sucker growth from the roots? Prolific seed drop? (TannedDAM@aol.com)

Positive greykoala On Jul 16, 2007, greykoala from Bowling Green, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one of the most beautiful ornamental trees I have ever seen. I have had 2 in the ground for a year and during the winter they lost all their leaves once but they returned quickly and have grown remarkably well. They get hot afternoon sun here and withstand 100+ heat every day in the summer. The nursery here is where I purchased them and I just purchased 2 more and put them in the ground this July 2007. I am going to try and start some cuttings , I'll let you know how they do.

Positive Happy_1 On May 30, 2005, Happy_1 from Chicago, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have been growing this for about 2 years and it is beautiful and has doubled in size...it's now about 5' x 4'... The colors are remarkable but it has not flowered as yet. Very different..I have it in partial shade next to a fence. In a couple of more feet, it wil be in full sun...Maybe then a flower...yes?

6/2006- Yes, I have a flower and it is added. I feel like I have just given birth. It's beautiful and about 5' across.

Neutral NativePlantFan9 On Mar 4, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is a variegated variety of Hibiscus tiliaceus. It has attractive, beautiful, variegated foilage with splashes of green and white markings. The older leaves turn reddish with darker markings. Like the common species (normal variety of Hibiscus tiliaceus), it grows as a shrubby, thicket-forming plant to small or medium tree.

CAUTION - Hibiscus tiliaceus is listed as a Category Two Invasive by the FLEPPC (Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council).

Positive miamimax On Feb 27, 2005, miamimax from Miami, FL wrote:

Tropical. Drought tolerant once established. Salt tolerant. Easily propagated by tip cuttings or air-layering. One of the most beautiful variegated plants I've seen. Stable variegation. New leaves unfurl crimson then fade into mosaic patterns of white, cream, and shades of emerald green. Grows into a large tree if planted in the ground. Great as a containerized specimen. Flowers are hibiscus like, open in the morning yellow, by afternoon are orange, and by early evening are scarlet red!

Grenoble,
Big Pine Key, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Pompano Beach, Florida