White Bird of Paradise 'Variegated'

Strelitzia alba

Family: Strelitziaceae
Genus: Strelitzia (stre-LITZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegated

Partial to Full Shade

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Delano, California

Arcadia, Florida

Fernandina Beach, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Tarpon Springs, Florida

Yulee, Florida

New Orleans, Louisiana

On Sep 25, 2008, kelleyg from Largo, FL wrote:

I live in FLorida. I have a Bird of Paradise I started in a pot from a one leaf plant I bought for $5 at a vegetable stand. It now has 5 leafs sprouted and is about 4 feet tall. Mine started to turn brown at the leaf edges and it stopped sprouting new leaves from the middle. I have just transplanted it out of the pot and in to the side yard outside my kitchen window. I cant wait until it gets bigger. I think they need plenty of room as they grow and if they run out of room they probaly don't do well. On same subject- any transplant info on this plant anyone can pass my way would be appreciated. Also, when do they start to bloom?? Thanks and good luck to you and your bird of paradise !

On Apr 12, 2008, jasmine4 from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have purchased i believe a White Bird of Paradise from Lowes that was about 3 feet tall with two branchings a little over one year ago. It was transferred to a larger pot and placed near house and under patio cover where it only gets an hour or two of morning sun. I live in Phoenix, Arizona.

Recently I have noticed that the tips and outside edges of the leaves are curling inwards and turning brown. It has grown about another foot and a half taller and I water well at least once a week or more if needed. I have also started to feed with a Schultz Bloom Plus.

What should I do? Should I repot in larger container, divide the two plants and put in ground with spacing, and is it getting enough light?

First time user of site and plant and appreciat... read more