Mandevilla, Dipladenia 'Sun Parasol Crimson'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mandevilla (man-de-VILL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sun Parasol Crimson
Additional cultivar information:(PP15539; Sun Parasol™ series; aka Sunmandecrim)
Hybridized by Misato-Murakami
Registered or introduced: 2003

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

From leaf cuttings

Mechanicsville, Virginia

Norfolk, Virginia

Portsmouth, Virginia

On Jun 13, 2012, SirusGarden from Austin, TX wrote:

Beautiful plant, I just got this plant and is growing like crazy. I had it in a full sun location, but with crazy hot summer sun from Texas it was requiring too much water, which I don't think it will be good in the long run anyway. I moved it to morning sun instead. It still gets about 8 hrs of sun a day, requires less water and has lots of blooms.

On Nov 6, 2011, snowleopard77 from Apex, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I had a nursery tell me that the more compact red variety could possibly be grown in an office if there was enough light. I am wondering if anyone has tried this before I purchase one. The office is very open and has allot of light from all directions from the windows.

On Jul 28, 2011, Connie_G from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I just bought (HDepot) and planted this variety of Mandevilla. It is turning yellow and looks bad overall. It looked great in the store pot! I planted in a clay pot with great soil. It's in our 105 degree sun...and gets very dry so I've been watering it 2x a day and the pot drains well. Should I move it to get just morning sun?

Connie (Webb) Giles

On Jul 25, 2011, virginiarose from Portsmouth, VA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Beautiful Crimson Red, great addition to garden or entry way.

On Apr 17, 2011, GaryInPA from Marcus Hook, PA wrote:

This plant grows exceptionally well in Southeastern PA.
Beautiful dark red flowers. Just beautiful!

On May 4, 2010, brebay from Denver, CO wrote:

I have 4 of these in hanging baskets they are absolutely beautiful. 2 receive full sun. 1 gets mainly morning sun the other gets evening hours of sun. All are equally stunning.

On Oct 11, 2009, georgiehopper from Pleasant Valley, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a fantastic plant which I grow from seed. I am pretty sure the plant is patented and asexual propagation is prohibited.

It has tolerated both sun and a good bit of shade and survives the winter happily indoors in a sunny window when kept on the dry side.

On Mar 28, 2009, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mandevilla, Dipladenia 'Sun Parasol Crimson' has been a great plant. Mine has been in a very large container since June of last year. I trained it to climb a 6 foot trellis. It is growing past the top of the trellis. I am amazed by its hardiness. We have had many sustained below freezing nights this past winter. I covered about 2.5 feet of the base of the plant and left the remainder on the rest of the trellis unprotected. It received no freeze damage even though it is not protected by structures, such as a house, nor overhanging trees. Although the base is by aprivacy fence, the tall container is atop a chair which places the trellis above the fence. It has been blooming since the middle of March even through a couple of days with highs in the 40s. It is in full sun and the bloo... read more

On Aug 26, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I'm not sure if mine is Sun Parasol regular or dwarf. It was not labeled dwarf, but looks it.Fast growing small vine in the few weeks i have had it. It does seem to bleach a little in full summer sun..It might take a little effort to find the right spot for color. Easy care so far-add plenty of water and fertilizer. These Mandevilla's like Red Riding Hood are more cold hardy then given credit for. I expect this too make it through the winter unlike the 'Alice du Pont' types.
EDIT UPDATE '08: Well,it did fine in a mild winter..better than Red Riding hood. Unlike RRH, Sun Parasol does vine easily in our mild summer climate. RRH seems to stay a small shrub. Not many small scale blooming vines around. This is one of the better and very tropical looking ones you will find

On Jun 28, 2007, lee_ro from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Yes, cardinal red is a good description of the color of this beautiful vine's flowers! Mine bloomed spectacularly up a trellis shared with a black eyed susan vine last year, and I brought it in over winter and it has made a comeback this year, although it hasn't done any flowering. This year it's sharing the trellis with a light pink mandevilla. I hope to see some cardinal red blossoms again this summer...

On Jun 23, 2007, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is from a cross of Mandevilla atroviolacea with Mandevilla amabilis x M. boliviensis Mandevilla Sun Parasol White.

On Apr 17, 2006, handbright from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have this plant in part sun (around 1 and 1/2 hours of morning sun, and late afternoon sun for around an hour) and it continues to bloom profusely. When it was in the full sun here in zone 10 b the flowers faded quickly and took on a bleached appearance. Now its beautiful, a velvety cardinal red flower with a glowing amber throat.

On May 20, 2005, woodenshoe62 from Ogdensburg, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

I live in Wisconsin, zone 4 and I planted my first Mandevilla last summer. It was absolutely beautiful, pink, vined up an arbor. Before the frost I dug it out and put it in a large pot. It was in the south window and it didn't grow like it did outside but it survived and now I can't wait to plant it out again. From the info I've searched the hotter the weather the better they like it and do not over water. I've ordered two more for me and some for my girls. Please give them a try, you will love them.