PlantFiles: Beach Hibiscus, Sea Hibiscus, Cottontree, Mahoe, Hawaiian Tree Hibiscus
Talipariti tiliaceum 'Purpurascens'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Talipariti (tah-lip-uh-RYE-tee) (Info)
Species: tiliaceum (til-ee-AH-see-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Purpurascens

Bronze-Green
Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Leathery-Textured

Positive suzymobile On May 13, 2012, suzymobile from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

My friend and I have been admiring this tree for months now, every time we go for a walk in our neighborhood. It's at our turnaround point, and we always stop and exclaim over its flowers--to the point where the guy across the street came running out one day and said, "What ARE you ladies doing every day with your heads in this bush?"

Needless to say, after stupidly thinking it was a sea grape, and noticing that NO other sea grapes had flowers like these, I was thrilled to find out what it really was.

It's at the corner of East Tarpon Blvd and Gentry in Port Charlotte, Florida, and it's immense. I've got a cutting now, and my friend plans to get one, too. Wish us luck!

Positive DawnRain On Jun 8, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

There is a large shrub/tree growing next to a pit near Mulberry, Fl. Polk County. I have noticed it for years, but never found time to stop and see if I could collect seeds. Must not be invasive there. Only one around.

Neutral foodiesleuth On Jun 7, 2005, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have seen it growing into large trees in Hawaii. The wood is sometimes used by woodcrafters for carvings, bowls, trays, platters, etc. I like the way the bloom changes color from light yellow in the morning to dark orange-red in the late afternoon.

Neutral NativePlantFan9 On Jun 6, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This variety of Hibiscus tiliaceus has attractive, very dark, deep purplish, purple-green to green or nearly black foilage. Like the common species (normal variety of Hibiscus tiliaceus), it grows as a shrubby, thicket-forming plant to small or medium tree.

CAUTION - Hibiscus tiliaceus is listed as a Category Two Invasive by the FLEPPC (Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council).

Bradley, Florida