Charentais Melon
Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis 'Noir des Carmes'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo var. cantalupensis
Cultivar: Noir des Carmes
Additional cultivar information:(aka Noir de Carmes)

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Urbandale, Iowa

Larned, Kansas

Oberlin, Ohio

Cascade, Virginia

On Aug 7, 2009, dalmatian_fan87 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This variety is DELICIOUS! Takes a while to ripen. The smaller size is great for "Little Mouths" I also like to think of them as "Personal Cantaloupes" since they are small.

On Jan 17, 2009, ncowan2005 from Toronto

I had a tough time with this in Canada. Plant got mildew just as the (very few) fruit began to mature. (Happens a lot as the temperature spikes). Too bad because the plant is quite attractive and reasonably compact for a melon. My season is just not long enough and the weather consistent enough to get the good fruit I suspect.

On Aug 29, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

A very nice melon overall. It's quite small compared to many, about the size of a medium grapefruit. Good flavour, much like a cantaloupe. Quite perfumed and very sweet. It took a long time to ripen for me but it slips the vine just like a cantaloupe. I would grow it again but I only got a couple of melons on each plant so not terribly productive. If my space was really limited, I might try others instead.

On Mar 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a very rare French heirloom that was described as early as 1787. This melon is a true cantaloupe not the muskmelon that we, Americans, mistakenly call cantaloupe. These deeply ribbed, smooth-skinned melons are nearly black in color, but ripen to an orangeish-yellow. The orange flesh is sweet and fragrant. The 4 in. by 3 in. fruits are approximately 1 lb.