Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cantaloupe 'Ginger's Pride'

Cucumis melo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Ginger's Pride

Vegetables

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

New Plymouth, Idaho

Millington, Tennessee

positive

On Dec 9, 2015, shule from New Plymouth, ID (Zone 4a) wrote:

I grew one Ginger's Pride cantaloupe plant in an area with black plastic over it, in 2015. It produced two fruits, one of which was extremely large and ripened to a pumpkin orange. It was very juicy and tasty. The flesh of the orange one was kind of creamy (it reminded me of ice cream). It was very soft. However, upon refrigeration, it firmed up considerably. The second melon didn't ripen orange, and it wasn't as sweet or flavorful. Bugs started eating the bottoms of both fruits when they were ripe, but the fruits were fine, and I just had to wash them off and/or cut off a little of the bottom.

At transplanting time, I gave them basalt rockdust, potassium sulfate and other things. I thought the first melon was taking a while to ripen. So, I gave it some monopotassium phospha... read more

On Mar 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The largest melon we carry. Huge, oblong fruit averages 14-22 lbs. each! The skin is green, turning yellowish when ripe. The flesh is very sweet, melting, and of excellant quality. The vines set heavy yields. This variety was sent to us by a retired minister from Indiana. It has been in his family for many years, originating in Kentucky. THis is a melon to give any grower pride.