Melon
Cucumis melo 'Kazakh'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Kazakh

Vegetables

91 to 100 days

Madison, Alabama

Logan, Utah

Powell, Wyoming

On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Large vigorous vines but not much fruit set. Has a watermelon-like flavor but is not quite as sweet.

On Feb 28, 2011, zdmj11 from Powell, WY wrote:

This melon is probably my favorite honeydew type, mainly because it's been a dependable producer for Northern Wyoming.

For my area starting seed indoors gives you better odds of making a decent crop.

I particularly like the sweet flavor and sometimes crisp texture of the flesh.

I think that the Kazakh melon is also know in some heirloom seed circles as Collective Farm Woman.

Good melon.

On Aug 23, 2009, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

This melon is orininally from Kazakhstan, but was selected and offered through the Oscar H. Will & Company company in Bismark, ND. I obtained seeds through the seed savers exchange.

For me, this has been prolific and very tasty. It's probably really an 'Asian' melon, though it is pretty close to the honeydew types. It has pale green flesh. It is not musky and for this reason I like it. It's very easy to judge ripeness - it starts turning yellow. Also, it lasts for quite some time if picked before it is over-ripe. It's very early also so is suitable for northern climates.

Never has a disease problem with this one, but I don't really have that problem with most melons (some with watermelons).

On Mar 4, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The 1-2 lb green fruit turn golden when ripe. This variety is early, resistant to drought and is a good climber, making it a great choice for many. An ancient type of melon from Central Asia, collected in Kazakhstan

This one has the dubious distinction of being the only melon that I could never get to produce. It was offered in the 60's with the same glowing description. At the time I grew cantaloupe, early honeydew, Ogens, Sweetie, and early Crenshaw with out problems. But this one was so disease prone it never got past the early bloom stage, before dying.