Hybrid Tea, Florists Rose
Rosa 'Black Baccara'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Baccara
Additional cultivar information:(PP13152, aka Black Baccara, MEIdebenne)
Hybridized by Meilland

Bush

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Winnsboro, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On May 3, 2012, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

I purchased Black Bacarra as an own root, last season, it was very small, but it still bloomed all summer, it was one of the ones (out of 120 roses) that still had blooms on it in mid november. The blooms are stunningly black, ruffled on the edges giving the flower the appearance of being crumbled after blooming, the black coloring of the bud gives way to a deep red when it is fully opened with the black on the edges. I have mine planted next to the pure white Tineke and Estelle which is a russet and golden yellow reverse, they are stunning together. Although Bacarra is a florist rose, i have found it very tough, the other roses it is planted next to are all florist roses. They dont need any extra tlc here in zone 6, they came through the winter just fine with mulch protection. I spray... read more

On Dec 1, 2010, drainbedd from Bargersville, IN wrote:

I received my 2 plants by mail-order in June 2010. by the time I opened them up they were almost dead, one of them was, in my opinion but I put them into pots with some good soil and in no time the healthier of the 2 took off. Two weeks went by and I decided to use the other pot for something else but lo and behold, just as I was about to pull what looked to be a dried up twig I noticed something. I got my magnifying glass and looked. Sure enough there were leaf buds starting to grow! I kept them in pots too long though and now the ground may be too cold. I hope to keep them going inside with a light. Wish me luck. And by the way, I have 1 perfect bloom growing right now.

On May 30, 2008, BlackRoseHeart from Paradise, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought my Black Baccara from a nursery in April. It was already established, about 18" high, and had 4 small buds and 1 large bud. I planted it according to the instructions. We had a major windstorm, and the 4 small buds blew off. But the one large bud blossomed beautifully!! It wasn't as dark as I had hoped for, but maybe the next blooms will be darker. There is already 8-10" of new growth (red foliage), and it's only been about 6 weeks since it was replanted. Check out the pics of my 1 beautiful blossom. More later, when I have new blooms.

On Oct 10, 2005, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Personally, I find this rose often has blooms that are ugly! The can be too black around the edges and if they run into any conditions that are not ideal, the blooms show it.

On Mar 10, 2005, debqb1 from Cartersville, GA wrote:

MY SISTER'S ROSE CAME TODAY WITH LUXURIANT FOLIAGE OF RED AND GREEN COLOUR AND A BEAUTIFUL BUD JUST AS ADVERTISED-IT IS AS LUSH AS WAS PROMISED-AND I PICKED THIS SITE FROM HUNDREDS-I HAD TO CUT THE ROSE OUT OF THE BOX IT WAS SO CAREFULLY AND SECURELY WRAPPED-MY INCOME IS VERY LIMITED, LESS THAN 1400 DOLLARS A MONTH SO I SPEND IT CAREFULLY-I WAS SO DELIGHTED I CALLED THEM RIGHT AWAY TO SAY IT MADE MY WEEK. THIS WAS A SPECIAL GIFT FOR A SISTER WHO HAS FOR 5 YEARS CARED FOR A FATHER WITH PARKINSON'S AND ALTZHIEMERS FOR 5 YEARS BY HERSELF WITH HER HUSBANDS HELP ONLY. NOW SHE HAS ME AND WILL BE OUT TODAY IN THE COLD GETTING HER ROSE BED READY FOR HER NEW ROSE .TY SO MUCH GROWQUEST.COM FOR THE WONDERFUL GIFT!!!SHE WAS OUT OF TOWN AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME!!!! I WILL POST A PICTURE(DIGITAL CAMER... read more