Scarlet Creeper
Ipomoea hederifolia var. luteola 'Sunspots'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: hederifolia var. luteola
Cultivar: Sunspots
Synonym:Ipomoea coccinea var. hederifolia
Synonym:Ipomoea luteola

Not Applicable

Orange

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Gainesville, Georgia

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

Shepherd, Texas

positive

On Apr 5, 2009, gardenhippie from Stroudsburg, PA wrote:

I have always ( at least 10 or more years) planted this vine in pots on my all sun deck with nothing but success. The hummingbirds love it and I can collect the seeds at the end of the year or just save my pot where seeds have fallen and they come up on their own the following year dependable. The flowers are small but I enjoy the foilage as well, for me personally not everything has to be about the flowers but about the whole plant in general and this has been a winner for me. If you need the WOW factor for the plant only, this would not be for you, but it sure is interesting and a vine that grows nice in a pot to add dimension and interest to any deck pot garden and it is a part of the WOW factor to my overall appearance of my deck.

On Jul 9, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The flowers were a lot smaller than I expected, only being about 1.5 cm across, and not nearly as orange as has been described. They appear to be more reddish with a yellow star and throat. The vine does great when the spring weather is still cool, but once the bugs start coming out, they love to munch out on it. My vines have very quickly become straggly and spent. However, it produces copious amounts of seed that are easily germinated, in spite of the bugs.

On May 6, 2005, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

The Institute for Systematic Botany has 'positively identified' this as a strain of Ipomoea hederifolia although the seedpods do not remain fully erect, the sepals enclose the seedpod like I. coccinea and this causes me to seriously question the ID...

The seedpod characteristics most closely match Ipomoea coccinea.

Ipomoea 'luteola' is a synonym (as used mostly in the 'Old World' countries) for Ipomoea coccinea, Ipomoea quamoclit and Ipomoea obscua...additionally 'luteola' is a basionym for Ipomoea brownii = Operculina brownii and as such there is no current legitimate epithet within Ipomoea for 'luteola'.