Datura, Devil's Trumpet 'Evening Fragrance'

Datura inoxia

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: inoxia (in-OKS-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Evening Fragrance

Clarkston, Washington

Grand Mound, Washington

Liberty, West Virginia

On Jun 17, 2014, martka from Laguna Hills, CA wrote:

I do not have as far any opinion on my datura since I planted it just today morning. Brought it from wilderness, so I can have only a hope and good wishes. Very excited about it!

Love the beauty of the plant; the silvery leaves, strength and bluish color. Hope flowers will be as aromatic as they say. When I uprooted it, the plant didn't smell good though. Apparently it's normal - when touched or bruised it stinks. So I am not going to touch it anymore. Just admire from some distance;))

On Mar 22, 2013, RenayEllis from Priceville, AL wrote:

I have this growing in full sun in my backyard. It reseeds itself and emerges bigger and better each year. It's a beautiful, low maintenance plant.

On Apr 2, 2012, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant was OK but not great in my opinion. It was small and not impressive so I don't think I will plant it again. It grew well and produce lots of flowers but I like the double and triple brightly colored Dat's/

On Jun 6, 2011, Gloryglory52 from Graniteville, SC wrote:

I do like the Moon Flower very much. It is a big showy flower and needs little care. I would not call it a perennial here in zone 8 but it does reseed. That is the only problem it reseeds a little too much.

On Mar 21, 2011, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

I love this plant! It has lovely slightly bluish foliage. The flowers are enormous white trumpets with a pale blue edge. Their fragrance at night is intoxicating! In the morning some of that lovely scent lingers, before the sun hits them. This is an annual here in Indy, but occasionally one survives a mild winter,then grows to colossal proportions. Datura is highly toxic, which is great for me because the furry marauders from the nature preserve never touch it. It self sows well in a window well of mine. Unfortunately the lawn guy sprayed it and nearly wiped it out two years ago! I'm trying to get the colony going again.The babies transplant easily (although it inexplicably won't grow in some places with similar conditions.) It grows beautifully in big pots. I grow some on the front porch... read more

On Sep 11, 2010, Izhar from Karachi
Pakistan (Zone 11) wrote:

Got my seeds from Thompson and Morgan, they sprout quickly, strong and vigorous plants which can take drought for a much longer time... it took 53 days for the first plant to bloom and last was after 74 days of seed sowing... big creamy white blooms with divine fragrance attracting moths...

On Feb 15, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

The classification of these plant is not clear, some called it Perrenial, other 'half hardy annual' Whichever is the case, it does share some characteristic of its cousin the 'Angel Thrumphet" Big thrumphet-like flower, like that of Moon-flowers, also its flowers open on cloudy day, evening, (like Moon-flowers) though it seems to flourish on sunny locations. The double flowers (variety; purple) also self-sown), now that I'm hooked on the plants. I also noticed there are yellow and bicor. Lovely plants!
Zone 7-8