PlantFiles: Korean Lawngrass, Zoysia Grass
Zoysia japonica

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zoysia (ZOY-shuh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Blue-Green

By RonniePitman
Thumbnail #1 of Zoysia japonica by RonniePitman

By RonniePitman
Thumbnail #2 of Zoysia japonica by RonniePitman

Positive braun06 On Aug 13, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This species is actually hardy into zone 5 if not colder. I have a patch growing in my yard that expands perhaps 1.5' every year if not greater. I don't know how it got there as my immediate neighbors have bluegrass/fescue. The nearest population of this in my neighborhood is probably 200 ft away. The house I own was not taken care of by previous owners and a turf lawn only really exists in about 30-40% of the yard.

I have done sprays and treatments plus seed. I find getting a lawn to start is a lot of work and very expensive with weather making the process very difficult in the past couple years. With zoysia already growing in my yard it may be all for not to try something else anyway. I have rampant creeping charlie that covers everything in site but has trouble establishing itself among the zoysia.

It takes until late March/early April here for it to wake up and stays green through to October. I am fine with it being dormant in spring longer since it looks great in summer by comparison and thrives in heat. I know some may consider this a bad turfgrass in my climate but its a way to gain control against creeping charlie without the use of chemicals where its already growing.
Seeded areas of bluegrass haven't contended so well.

I won't be able to get rid of the zoysia either any easier than everything else I have growing. If it gets near my neighbors yard I will spade it out to make sure it doesn't spread, though my neighbors seem to appreciate the look of it just as much as I do.

Positive RonniePitman On Mar 20, 2006, RonniePitman wrote:

Spreads *slowly* by runners, followed by large, soft clumps. Mine is quite happy with morning sun only.

Oak View, California