Large Chimanimani Aloe

Aloe munchii

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: munchii (MUNCH-ee-eye) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Late Fall/Early Winter

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Scottsdale, Arizona

Reseda, California

Spring Valley, California

Vista, California

On Aug 19, 2011, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a tree aloe native to Zimbabwe. It grows up to 15' tall and is usually solitary (rarely branching, usually near base) and was until recently a pretty rare plant in cultivation. Now I see these even for sale at local nurseries not specializing in succulents. Fast grower, growing from a 1' seedling to 3' flowering plant in my yard in just 3 years. Flowers are capitate, often branching simply and a deep orange. Leaves are pale blue-green and upright, reminding me of a giant, solitary Aloe acutissima. This is turning out to be a wonderful, common and easy landscape plant for southern California.

On Feb 10, 2010, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9b coastal Otago NZ

I have a seedling similar to the one in Palmbob's first pic. It came to me a little beaten up and crispy but in the few spring/summer months Ive had it, it's put out good roots, fattened up and doubled it's leafage, so not a wimpy starter as some of the less common tree aloes can be (A Angelica, Im looking at you).

The leaves are a curious colour, the sort of turquoise-style green that an Aloe Speciosa has, overlaid with a faint grey that makes it stand out amid other aloes, even when young. Seems to be appreciating the considerable water that I'm giving it, almost as much as the thirsty A Vaombe I'm also rearing. The leaves are growing in an upright manner, not recurved or particularly spiny but there is a bright red on the margins... read more

On Sep 21, 2009, Menk from Darling Downs
Australia wrote:

Photos by RWhiz show very true to type plants. This Aloe often gets lovely orange leaf coloration in winter. It grows well here in Queensland, Australia. I was lucky to obtain a cutting recently from a friend who lives in a frost free area. I live in a frosty area in winter. As this is my first time growing the plant (it is now late spring), I have no experience with its frost hardiness. I will try to comment further on this species next year, after I see how it performs.

On Aug 22, 2006, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

I have grown several of these for almost 1 year. The winter color is beautiful orange and yellow, summer is lighter grayish light green. These are not mature plants so have not flowered. They grow well all year.

On Apr 5, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tree aloe is native to Zimbabwe and Mozambique. It can grow to 5m. The succulent leaves are dull gray-green with a reddish tinge.

I have no personal experience with this plant, but grow other aloes successfully.