PlantFiles: Lily of the Nile
Agapanthus 'Headbourne Hybrids'

Family: Agapanthaceae
Genus: Agapanthus (ag-uh-PANTH-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Headbourne Hybrids

By catcollins
Thumbnail #2 of Agapanthus  by catcollins

Positive cinemike On Mar 9, 2012, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I echo the remarks about their hardiness. Three mature plants growing in, frankly, disgustingly heavy clay soil in Belfast Northern Ireland survived the coldest winter on record in 2010/1.
Most 'tough' plants that can withstand poor soil and bad weather, I find are usually fairly unattractive, but these are truly beautiful and seem to be able to tolerate neglect and very poor conditions.

Positive catcollins On Oct 31, 2010, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I tried these as a propogation experiment this year. 28 seeds were sown to a shallow tray on March 10, 2010, barely covered and placed in a window to keep them cool (the packet said 60 degrees). The first week of April, I had 10 sprouts with grass-like leaves. By April 8, I had a total of 21 sprouts, the largest about 1" tall. By April 24, I had a total of 24 sprouts. I transplanted the seedlings the week of May 8 to individual 2 1/4" peat pots. Hardened off mid May. I didn't plant them to a larger container until the end of June because they were still very small. They are now 12" tall, but I lost 2 to a foraging chipmunk. Will plant some 2 ft from where they have been growing, the rest on the south side of the house. Stay tuned for an update next Spring.

UPDATED April 2011: Success! All 5 wintered under shelter have broken winter dormancy, 4 with multiple shoots. 14 planted near where they were growing last year have returned, about half with multiple shoots. 2 of the ones planted on the south side of the house have returned. That means I lost 2 over the winter. I would say that makes these guys hardy in zone 6. Will update again when I get flowers.

UPDATED August 2012: I kept several of these in a large pot that has been sheltered over winter and was surprised by 3 flower heads this summer. Blooms opened the first week of July and lasted most of the month. Plants in the garden have not yet bloomed.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 6, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Strap-shaped leaves & sturdy 2-4' exclamation-mark stems. Lovely blue flower globes. Perennial to zone 8.

Auburn, Alabama