White Candles
Whitfieldia elongata

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Whitfieldia (wit-FEELD-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: elongata (ee-long-GAH-tuh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Delray Beach, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Naples, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Fayetteville, North Carolina

On May 26, 2012, QueenThumb from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

About 7 years ago I came across three of these in 4" pots at Target, of all places. No identifiers or tags. Somehow I planted them in the perfect location, in morning sun/dappled shade, and they are still with me, blooming all year long. Just recently I finally found out the name of this plant, by Google-imaging "white shrimp plant". I throw Osmocote on everything and they look good. Could use some pruning back is all. Approx 4.5' tall by 2' wide. The one in deeper shade is all leaves, which are lovely in and of themselves.

On Jun 2, 2008, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought these plants in January, 2008 when they were in full bloom. It is now May'08 and they are still in full bloom. Three are in a screened pool area and there others in shadier areas. So they have behaved beautifully and seem to want to bloom the year round. Watered normally. I am in 10A.

On Feb 15, 2007, AnitaEdge from Fayetteville, NC wrote:

'White Candles' is one of my favorite indoor plants! I bought it as a young plant and placed it in a west-facing window in my home. I have been richly rewarded with the most pristine white blooms that I've ever seen every summer since. I cut it back last year to encourage a more pleasing shape, and have watched the plant take off! I anticipate many, many gorgeous white blooms in July/August of this year!

On Oct 11, 2006, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

At the beginning I was very excited about this new plant. As time progressed I've found that it blooms rather infrequently. It also gets leggy without much appeal in general. Iron deficiency seems to be common with this plant. Dappled sun is needed for best results.