PlantFiles: Snakeskin Fishtail Palm
Caryota ophiopellis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caryota (kair-ee-OH-tuh) (Info)
Species: ophiopellis (oh-fee-oh-PEL-iss) (Info)

Palms

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

By grif999

Thumbnail #4 of Caryota ophiopellis by palmbob

Thumbnail #5 of Caryota ophiopellis by palmbob

Positive CGTS On Sep 10, 2013, CGTS from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

I may have this palm but not 100% sure right now. I bought a property a year or so ago and inherited this magnificent palm in the bottom of a creek that runs through the place. I have researched around and the only reason I doubt it's species is that mine does not have such a distinctive striped pattern. Does any one know does the Ophiopellis always have such a contrasting stripe? My palm is very green about 5 mtrs tall with currently 5 majestic fronds each about 4 - 5 Mtrs long. It is in a dappled shade position in amongst Jagera pseudorhus, very tall Eucalyptus microcorys and Schefflera actinophylla so may not have enough light to create the same definition. If this is not the case, does anyone know of a similar Caryota. (Not Gigas and I don't think Caryota No either)

Neutral palmbob On Mar 24, 2007, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

THough I see some having success with this species in California, most have none. How to tell this from C zebrina as a young palm is still sort of a mystery to me... I even saw a few planted near each other in a nursery in Hawaii, and I still couldn't say I could tell the difference. C zebrina seems a much less finicky palm... but very hard to grow here in So Cal. Both are sort of finicky anywhere it turns out... even in Hawaii they can be tricky. And both very slow there, too.

Positive viper41 On Jun 11, 2005, viper41 from Yorba Linda, CA wrote:

I have had some success from this plant. Bought seedlings from Hawaii a year-and-a-half ago, 20 of them. Only 3 are surviving now indoors, one is very healthy. Very slow growers, probably taking 3-4 years or more in Socal to get a 1 gallon size plant from seed. Very rare collector's palm. Is similar to Caryota Zebrina, but has more fragile leaves that are less diamond-shaped than the Zebrina. From Vanuatu.