American Persimmon, Common Persimmon, Eastern Persimmon, Date Plum

Diospyros virginiana

Family: Ebenaceae (eb-en-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Diospyros (dy-oh-SPY-ros) (Info)
Species: virginiana (vir-jin-ee-AN-uh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Atmore, Alabama

Indianapolis, Indiana

Macy, Indiana

Valparaiso, Indiana

Olathe, Kansas

Shawnee Mission, Kansas (2 reports)

Benton, Kentucky

Rosedale, West Virginia

Cambridge, Wisconsin

Kenosha, Wisconsin

On Jan 9, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This tree is ornamental, adaptable about soil, and rarely troubled by pests or diseases.

If you want to plant a persimmon for fruit, many cultivars have been developed with superior fruiting to the wild forms. Most persimmons require cross-pollination.

Grafted cultivars begin producing fruit after only a few years, long before the seed-grown kinds. Some grafted cultivars are self-fruitful.

In Z6(5b), there are Asian-American hybrids that may be superior: 'Nikita's Gift' and 'Rosseyanka' are popular.

On Dec 12, 2013, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

There is a small wild grove of American Persimmon near a clean downhill run of water on an elementary school's grounds in Downingtown, PA. In October I pass by and pick up fallen fruit from the ground, mostly lawn, take them home and eat them, they are so good. I love its bold outline and heavy dark scaly bark in winter.

On Dec 4, 2013, Creatrixsblood from Emerson, IA wrote:

These grow wild in the pasture at my parent's house. They produce new saplings prolifically. They seem to enjoy being mowed. Where there used to be a small cluster of trees, there is now a rather sizable grove of small trees.

The cheerful white flowers smell wonderful, but don't make good cut flowers. I loved to play in the tiny groves they made as a child, and would often gather petals and throw them above my head and dance.

My mother enjoyed the fruits, but many of them did not produce any.

On Aug 5, 2012, eatmyplants from Comanche county, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This tree can be seen in my area in small groves but is not really widespread. Since I figured out what it was a few years ago, I've never seen it bloom or make any fruit. Right now, the younger trees are very distressed from the extreme heat and lack of rainfall but they seem to always pull through.

On Dec 29, 2009, mississippitrees from Perkinston, MS wrote:

D. Virginiana or American Persimmon is great tree to have around. It's fruit can be eaten though it does contain more seeds than fruit pulp. Most American Persimmon trees don't produce fruit until the age of 7-10 years, I've seen trees produce earlier and some not at all. This tree can be used as rootstock (understock) to graft other types of Asian Persimmons to. Look at my plant profile to see photos of this tree. If you have any questions or need seeds from this tree please feel free to contact me at
No commercial or sales contact please.

On Apr 17, 2009, beaglenana from Los Alamos, NM wrote:

I have questions that I hope someone can answer for me about the American persimmon. I live in Northern New Mexico at an elevation of 7250 ft. I have lived in my house for 25 years and there has always been a bush underneath my bathroom window that had white flowers in the spring, but that's all. This spring after the snow was gone, but before the plant leafed out or bloomed I noticed fruit on the plant - old dried fruit from last year apparently. A LOT of fruit. In 25 years this plant has never had fruit before. I was astonished. Apparently I did not notice said fruit amongst the leaves last spring or summer. None of the neighbors knew what it was and so I took some of it to our county extension agent and he said he believed it to be persimmon. Well I pooh poohed that becuase th... read more

On Jan 7, 2009, mamooth from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

The persimmon psyllid (a tiny bug) attacks this tree, causing new leaves to be crinkly and stunted. It's really only a problem for seedlings, which have a bigger percentage of new leaves, so seedlings can benefit from regular spraying. Spray before you see damage, because after you see the damage, it's too late. The bugs are in their little crinkly hideouts, and the spray won't touch them.

One of my 4 persimmon trees has a chlorosis problem, though it stays green if I feed it extra iron. I'm not sure why it has a problem, as the sources all say these trees do well in alkaline soil. My other 3 trees don't have the problem.

On Dec 7, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love Persimmons! I have 3 in my yard and I collect the fruit to use in baking. It is a little work getting the pulp from the seeds, but worth it to me.

On Apr 15, 2007, BSTGS3 from Magnolia, TX wrote:

I live in southeast Texas where the Common Persimmon is native. I try my best to only use native plants and trees on my property for a number of reasons. The persimmon fruit is eaten by a number of bird and mammal species. Also, I consider the attraction of webworms as a positive attribute since many more bird species such as warblers, vireos, cuckoos and many others use these as a food source as well. Futhermore, to the best of my knowledge, all bird species feed insects to their young of which webworms play a major role. Since the worms seem to do no permanent damage to the tree I find this a very acceptable symbiotic relationship. The benefits to wildlife far outweigh any negatives with the Common Persimmon.

On Apr 28, 2006, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Okay, why do I give D. virginiana a negative vote? I live in north Florida on 36 acres of former farmland, and a good patch of it is covered with persimmon suckers, with scattered trees elsewhere.. There are a few ragged-looking trees over twenty feet tall that might be parents to the suckers; only an isolated one well away from those bears fruit so far as I've seen, so maybe all the others are males: the tree is dioecious. The suckers return with a vengeance when mown down, and the bulk of the roots underneath them seems to be so great that spraying Roundup on every visible persimmon leaf in an area is far from a sure kill. (2,4-D is said to be effective too, and if it's cheaper I'll certainly give it a try as well.) In the spring the glossy leaves are attractive, but within weeks eve... read more

On May 1, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tree is native to Virginia as well & is a lovely - if large - addition to a home orchard or native planting. Wildlife - especially Red & Grey Fox around here - absolutely love the fruit, & we know it's starting to ripen when we find fox scat chockful of the large brown pits.

The small fruits are delicious eaten right off the tree, or in baked dishes, but as others have stated, they must be completely ripe. Here that doesn't usually occur until after frost. The puckering astringent taste of the unripe fruit is an experience not soon forgotten.

My only complaint about this tree is that it plays host to large infestations of Fall Webworm, which, while not harmful to the tree's health, are rather unsightly.

On Apr 30, 2005, john_mueller from Eugene, OR wrote:

On Dec 26, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Native to virtually the entire state of Florida and is a Florida fall/winter color tree. Interesting bark has a block pattern.

On Apr 15, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A great tree for shade in the summer. The fruits get messy in the Fall, so it is not suitable for planting in heavy traffic areas. Grows wild in West KY.

On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Persimmon is a deciduous, Missouri native tree with a rounded, oval crown growing 35-60' tall and typically occurring in rocky or dry open woods, limestone glades, prairies, thickets, abandoned fields, and along roadsides. Ovate to elliptic leaves (2-6" long) are glossy dark green above, and turn yellowish green (infrequently reddish purple) in autumn. Species is usually dioecious (separate male and female trees), but some trees have perfect flowers. White to greenish yellow flowers appear in late spring, with the male flowers appearing in clusters and the female flowers appearing solitary. Edible persimmon fruits (1-2" in diameter) mature in fall to an orange to reddish purple color, and may persist on the tree into winter. One of the easiest deciduous trees to recognize in winter because... read more

On Aug 13, 2001, midwestsnowbird wrote:

This is a native American tree. It has lustrous green leaves, attractive rough brown bark, and beautiful yellow to orange golf-ball size fruit that remains on the trees after the leaves fall. The drooping branches give this tree a graceful appearance. Trees grow 30-45 feet tall.

Pick fruit while firm, yet fully colored, allow to finnish ripening indoors. Enjoy the smooth-textured, sweet fruit (after it's fully ripened) in persimmon pudding!

Plant bare-root in the spring, in full sun. (It is difficult to transplant because of tap-root.) Space 15-20 foot apart. Tolerant of moderate to well drained soils.

Its cousin, the Japanese Persimmon is hardy in USDA zones 7-10 and doesn't grow quiet as tall.