PlantFiles: Montauk Daisy, Nippon Daisy
Nipponanthemum nipponicum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nipponanthemum (nip-pon-AN-the-mum) (Info)
Species: nipponicum (nip-PON-ih-kum) (Info)

Synonym:Chrysanthemum nipponicum

Thumbnail #6 of Nipponanthemum nipponicum by soulgardenlove

By capecodjules
Thumbnail #7 of Nipponanthemum nipponicum by capecodjules

Positive MaralynnG On Oct 12, 2014, MaralynnG from Glassboro, NJ wrote:

Love this plant! When all the other flowers are about gone, here comes this fresh daisy, giving us a little more beauty before the winter sets in. So easy to maintain.

Positive coriaceous On Oct 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Called "Montauk daisy", despite its Japanese origins, because it's naturalized on the beaches at Montauk on Long Island. I've read that a ship returning from Japan in the 1800's was wrecked at Montauk, and some of these tough plants washed ashore alive. (Perhaps the wreck is a horticultural legend, but the plants are naturalized there today.)

To keep this semi-shrub growing in a neat fresh even mound, I cut the stems back by around half in the fall, enough to keep the snow and ice from breaking the stems. Then in early spring when new growth is beginning, I cut the stems back harder. Neglected plants may splay open with age and develop heavy but weak sprawling woody stems with little growth near the base.

When cutting back in the spring, don't cut the woody stems below the lowest point where you see buds swelling.

The attractive foliage is glossy, dark green, and fleshy, almost succulent. When brushed, it releases a strong, pungent chrysanthemum fragrance.

One of the last plants to bloom before frost here, blooming in October and November. When in bloom, it covers itself in flowers.

Positive MyMemory On Oct 1, 2014, MyMemory from Dillsburg, PA wrote:

I just added a picture of my Montauk Daisies. I brought them back to Pennsylvania while visiting Long Island. They grow beautifully here and I love when they bloom every fall!

Neutral evelyn_inthegarden On Dec 18, 2013, evelyn_inthegarden from Sierra Foothills, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have never seen this plant offered in any of the nurseries in California, so I bought 3 online in a buying coop on cubits.org. I have moved these plants around and I did not know that they should be cut back for best results, as my plants were leggy. they wilted in the summer if they did not have enough water and the lower leaves turned brown. that is the reason that I moved them, so they would not get so much intense sun.

To read the reviews of this plant, it seemed to be so carefree, yet I somehow did not get the best out of it.

I also collected some seeds from this plant as they are very late to flowere here. The seeds are very tiny, much smaller than I imagined. I read that wintersowing has been successful with this plant, but this is the first year that I have collected the seeds, so I do not yet know that for myself.

I will come back and let you know...

Evelyn

Positive thinkinonit On Feb 2, 2012, thinkinonit from Norfolk, VA wrote:

I got one of these in the fall. They smell great. I put it in full sun by the front porch. Sitting on the porch you can smell the flowers every time there is a light breeze. They bloomed profusely right into our first hard frost. After they died back I cut the branches about 10" from the ground. Today I noticed the plant is starting to grow back on the stems I had left. I love this daisy.

Positive Bonniebopeep On May 5, 2011, Bonniebopeep from Washington, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I was so glad to see this lovely plant featured today on the first page of the site. I LOVE this plant! My mistake was that I bought only one....It is wonderful. It looks like a big, compact, hearty tall daisy that blooms in fall. I looked for it in garden centers this past weekend...it's too early to get it, so I have to wait.... ;-( I had success in 60510, I have moved to Central IL. I hope it does as well. Can't wait!

Positive Vattina On Oct 20, 2010, Vattina from Garrettsville, OH wrote:

What a beautiful plant and perfect daisy! I first acquired one this year. The succulent foliage is lovely and no bugs have bothered it -- although my chickens did **(%&*))&!.
The honey bees have gone ga-ga over it. Just over the last week it has exploded in bloom. love it

Positive Godsworld On Oct 22, 2009, Godsworld from West End, NC wrote:

We just bought a new home and have a montauk daisy in the garden. It took me all summer to find out what this plant is and it is wonderful! I thought it was awesome when it was just leaves because they are herbaceous and I'd never seen anything like them. My plant grew into a large uniform mound of these beautiful stems. I would have been satisfied with just that. But when it bloomed this fall...WOW!!!! I almost died! It is so beautiful...just perfect daisies that last and last.

But, HELP!! Now that the daisies are dying I don't know what to do with it. Do I cut it back? Now or later? To the ground?

This is too beautiful a plant to mess up, so would someone help me? (Thanks, in advance!)

Positive sallyg On Jun 16, 2009, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought three of these when I found them on clearance. They looked too healthy to be clearance, but probably didn't sell because they weren't in bloom and weren't well known. They're doing well for me. Here's a Dave's Garden article about this plant.

Positive Tex68 On May 16, 2009, Tex68 from Long Branch, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

It's such a handsome plant even when not flowering during the summer. And when it flowers in the fall till the first frost, oh boy! What a sight! Plant needed to be pruned/cut back to avoid woody legs very early spring. Otherwise they will grow tall if not cut back. Cuttings can be easily grown in the ground if you want more plants. The mature plant itself is well behave, it does not produce offspring and remains a single plant unless you plant/propagate the cuttings.

Positive dakotaroser On Sep 2, 2006, dakotaroser from Kingston, NH wrote:

bought two of these two years ago at a garden center
in Sept-Oct, they really stood out in their pots and I've moved
them twice since their current site and they have such interesting foliage hanging out and besides my sedums,
ornamental grasses (both fountain and flame grass), all
coming out for there end of the season farewell. A nice bush
with really cool white daisy flowers right till frost, well worth
finding.

Positive bed24 On Jul 2, 2006, bed24 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very hardy and great for xeriscaping. Comes back on previous year's growth and holds small bud-like leaves over the winter. Unique and a great flowering companion with Autumn Joy sedum.

Positive figaro52 On Sep 2, 2005, figaro52 from Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant for the perennial garden. It is very reliable and requires little care -- only occasional watering. I planted two of these last summer (they were gallon-size potted plants). They are now about 2 feet tall by 3 feet wide. The blossoms in the fall are very much like those of the shasta daisy. The foliage is beautiful -- almost succulent in appearance. This plant tends to be very hardy in my zone 5 garden. Another major plus is that the rabbits tend to leave it alone!

Positive PurplePansies On Apr 6, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

A wonderful plant in most gardens.... beautiful succulent foliage and daisy like flower bloom from late summer to early fall and right through the first hard frost.... blends beautifully in color etc. to late golden goldenrods and red heleniums.... Very nice.... highly recommended easy care.... bush like in appearence .. especially with age..... a mainstay in eastern coastal gardens....

Grizzly Flats, California
Pennsville, New Jersey
Piscataway, New Jersey
West Milford, New Jersey
Bridgehampton, New York
Brooklyn, New York (2 reports)
Caledonia, New York
Clifton Park, New York
Coram, New York
Croton On Hudson, New York
Groton, New York
Mahopac, New York (2 reports)
Northville, New York