PlantFiles: St. Augustine Grass, St. Augustinegrass, Buffalo Grass
Stenotaphrum secundatum

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stenotaphrum (sten-oh-TAF-rum) (Info)
Species: secundatum (see-kun-DAY-tum) (Info)

Groundcovers
Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Partial to Full Shade

Inconspicuous/none

Blooms all year

Blue-Green

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #1 of Stenotaphrum secundatum by kennedyh

Thumbnail #2 of Stenotaphrum secundatum by Datasmate

Thumbnail #3 of Stenotaphrum secundatum by Datasmate

Thumbnail #4 of Stenotaphrum secundatum by Datasmate

Neutral hypocondro On Sep 3, 2013, hypocondro from houston
United States wrote:

Hi I actually have a question about how I could remove all the st. Augustine grass from my lawn in order to replace it with native grasses?
I dont want to use a herbacide because they are designed to kill weeds, whereas in my case the st. Augustine grass are the weeds. Ive just been ripping it out in patches and its been very hard on my hands and back. Also it grows back very quickly. I've thought of burning off the areas ive already pulled but I'm sure theres a law against it where I live and since it grows rhizomously I'm not sure fire would be effective. Any tips would be great, like a natural herbacide specific to saint augustine grass?

Negative Phellos On Aug 30, 2013, Phellos from Port Vincent, LA wrote:

This is one of the only plants, along with bahia grass, that I completely dislike. It constantly invades any and every space available with thick spongy mats, sometimes a foot high, with impenetrable grass. I struggle to remove it from gardens and it constantly tries to invade the area that I bared, covered with a layer of gravel, then soil to grow native prairie grasses. It also leeches nutrients from the soil. Areas in my backyard that used to have it before it was shaded out are all gray dusty rocky soils that stay dry and compacted all Summer and become a sloppy muck, sometimes a foot deep during the rainy months of Winter. The areas are completely bare and all attempts to cultivate them with topsoil, mulch, leaves, pea gravel, sand, etc. have failed. I would much rather something airy, like Bermuda. I have areas with Bermuda grass and my plants grow in it just fine. I wish I could replace the rest of my St. Augustine grass, and the even more prolific self sower, Bahia grass, with something else.

Positive escambiaguy On May 19, 2007, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Most popular lawn grass for the gulf coast. It is very lush and thick when mowed high, but tends to need dethatching fairly often. It also performs well in the shade. I have noticed brown patches, but I think the fault lies with grubs.

Neutral vossner On Oct 14, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

It is the most common lawn grass grown in Richmond. Prone to brown patch. Would rate it positive because it's lush and thick, but the yearly brown patch makes the yard look ugly and unkempt.

Neutral Marylyn_TX On Sep 24, 2005, Marylyn_TX from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

It's the most common lawn grass in Houston. Prone to brown patch.

Neutral zancada On Jul 11, 2005, zancada from Mission, TX wrote:

When wanted, this grass makes a beautiful, thick, hardy lawn covering. Drought and heat tolerant. When unwanted, it is difficult to kill.

Atmore, Alabama
Charleston, South Carolina
Blanket, Texas
Clute, Texas
Mcallen, Texas
Mission, Texas (2 reports)
Roma, Texas