Cypress Spurge
Euphorbia cyparissias 'Clarice Howard'

View gallery
Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: cyparissias (sy-par-ISS-ee-ass) (Info)
Cultivar: Clarice Howard

Groundcovers

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Blue-Green

Chartreuse/Yellow

Burgundy

Good Fall Color

This plant is resistant to deer

Highland, Washington

On Feb 25, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A noxious weed here in Massachusetts, spreading both by seed and underground by stolons. In the garden, this is a nasty thug, hard to control and impossible to eradicate. I suspect that it can escape from a sunken pot by seed or through the drainholes.

Here in Massachusetts, its trade, sale, transport, and planting are illegal, because of the damage it does to natural areas. Likewise in one other state. Colorado has declared it a noxious weed.

If you're trading divisions of perennials from your garden and you also grow this, please warn your trading partners.

On May 19, 2008, crazy4plants from Spokane, WA wrote:

I purchased a small four pack of this plant at Home Depot three years ago. I planted this along my nice new stream/water feature. The following spring I had a beautiful show of flowers and color, but much to my surprise this thing had multiplied everywhere, so I started my research. Much to my surprise, this plant spreads by runners and is VERY invasive and toxic to touch. I started spraying. I found the pulling can stimulate the roots and those roots were tangled up with many other very valued larger plants. Three years later, I am still spraying and pulling these plants out. Stay away from this plant unless you want problems. I had no idea that these kinds of problems were so readily available at nurseries. They are pretty but a a serious problem.

On Mar 21, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant has needlelike foliage and lime-green strong honey scented flower heads. The new leaves are bright purpley red and fade to grey green, then turning bright yellow in autumn. According to various information I 've read about 'Clarice Howard' it should spread slowly if grown on a dry spot. Oh...wow..it spreads all over in my yard. This was, I hope I 'm lucky, only a young plant that could 'nt spread allover in my garden. I 've planted it immediately in a pot to give it some borders to spread. If you want to have a quick and handsome groundcover....this will look beautifull. Good Autumn colour. Blooms May to August. 10-20 cms high. Easily grown in light sandy soil.