Pink Fruiting Banana

Musa velutina

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Species: velutina (vel-oo-TEE-nuh) (Info)

Foley, Alabama

Pukalani, Hawaii

Bishopville, Maryland

Clemmons, North Carolina

Holly Springs, North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Stilwell, Oklahoma

Missouri City, Texas

Nacogdoches, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

On Jun 17, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

I bought this interesting banana plant from a nursery 12 years ago and planted it in my ginger "garden" near a natural spring in my lower backyard. The banana did great & has spread. I now have about 4 - 5 clumps that come back year after year. They fruit in mid-late summer, producing small, pink bananas. The fruit is sweet, but quite full of seeds. Adds a wonderful tropical touch. Easy to grow but likes moist areas. Freeze back in the winter during hard-freezes but will come right back when the weather warms up. Will grow in part to filtered sunlight. My plants get mid-afternoon sun, the rest of the day they get filtered sunlight.

On Oct 2, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows easily from seed, takes a while to germinate. Forms a clump that comes back each year. Lots of water.

On Mar 27, 2009, austinl01 from Sherwood, AR wrote:

Musa velutina is very cold hardy to zone 7b with some mulch. The pink, fuzzy bananas are an awesome addition to the landscape. Grow it as you would musa basjoo.

On Sep 8, 2007, Elphaba from Rockport, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I started growing this banana from seed 18 months ago and it is now blooming. I had 12 seeds; 5 germinated; the dogs killed one, and the other four are big and gorgeous. I am pretty horrible at growing things from seed, so this plant is obviously easy to grow. This has also been a really wet summer (42" in last 3 1/2 mo.) so that undoubtedly helped.

On May 22, 2007, branded from Nacogdoches, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

These things grow very well in East Texas, however, they do require large amounts of water in the summer heat. I'm in region 8a, and the plants regrow each year from the root stock. I try to cut them before the first frost. They make attractive flowers, and I get small bananas each year, about 3-4" long. They aren't edible at that stage.

I live in the country, so I separated my gray water (showers, sinks, washer) and these guys absolutely thrive with the large amount of daily watering they receive. They turn dark green, adding to the sub tropical look that I love!

Thrive like crazy around water, but will not spread to dry areas at all.

Two thumbs up!!

On Mar 2, 2005, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

This is a beautiful plant. Do you have a mail order source for it? I live in central Texas and would love to have one.

On Feb 3, 2004, jemi wrote:

its very beuatiful, i had one at my home.

On Aug 30, 2003, jrozier from Charleston, SC wrote:

This is my favorite plant. It blooms nicely, the fruit is ornamental, and growing from seed is easy. It returns and blooms even after hard freezes.