Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Big Boy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Big Boy

Thomasville, North Carolina

Millersburg, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

Sioux Falls, South Dakota (2 reports)

Charlottesville, Virginia

Springfield, Virginia

negative

On Dec 26, 2011, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

I grew three Big Boy plants in 2011 and they were healthy and produced quality fruit. They died of frost and not blight or other tomato disease. I will plant them again in 2012.

On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The same neighbor that plants Big Girl also plants Big Boy every year. I think Better Boy is a step above both of these varieties. Better Boys outproduce and taste better than Big Boys. However, a lot of folks plant Big Boys in this area and they love them.

On Jul 4, 2008, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

All tomato plants are poisonous. Only the fruit is safe. Tomatoes belong to the nightshade family, same as potatoes and nightshades are poisonous.

On Jun 9, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

I hate to give a negative rating for this plant because it preforms so well for so many people - dont let my report affect your decision on whether or not to give it a try. It is more than likely the high temps of this area that give it so much trouble. A tomato that wont set fruit in 90+ degree temperatures is useless to me, It gets hot early in the season here and it stays that way till about September.

And thats my big complaint with 'big boy' - it just doesnt set fruit for me. The tomatoes it does produce arent bad tasting tomatoes but I just cant waste the space when there are better producers out there - plus we prefer to grow heirlooms in the section of our property set aside for indeterminates.

On May 12, 2006, pnklace from Nabb, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

It does wonderful in my area, but I am having problems with the statement that some parts of this plant is poisious because I have done a lot of research and checked the package and can't find any information except this site that makes the comment.

On Apr 25, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This cultivar was originally known as Burpee's Big Boy. Look under that common name for additional grower comments.

On Apr 25, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is my family's favorite tasting tomato. My dad's been growing this variety for decades. It's very vigorous and fast growing.

On Apr 22, 2005, rainycz from Newark, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have grown "Big Boy" for years, both here in DE (clay) and in coastal NJ (sand). A great plant; reliable and hardy.