PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Delicious'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Delicious
Additional cultivar information: (aka Burpee Delicious)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Big_Red

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Big_Red

Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Big_Red

Positive pumpkinhead1678 On May 10, 2013, pumpkinhead1678 from Cameron

We grow this variety for size. Our largest to date has been 7.33#. It is the 3rd largest tomato ever grown worldwide. It's an easy plant to grow & will constantly grow tomatoes over 3#. The World Record tomato 7.75# was a delicious variety as well. If you would like to try to grow one for size, contact the Giant Vegetable Growers of Ontario (GVGO). Check out the website at http://www.gvgo.ca

Pumpkinhead1678

Positive decherdt On Jan 28, 2013, decherdt from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Tied with Gregori's Altai for my favorite tomato of Spring / Summer 2012. Big, pretty, old fashion flavored, about 5 fruit per vine for us. Will try it on vigorous rootstock in 2013.

Negative Cyberpotato On Dec 11, 2011, Cyberpotato from Hermann, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I was looking for a mild red beefsteak that was smoother than either Red Ponderosa or Beefmaster. This one does produce a smoother tomato with fewer blemishes. I give it a negative though. It lacks the fruity sweet taste of others in its class and is finicky about too much heat. Start early to get ahead of the summer heat. You will need to keep this one well fertilized and watered to produce large tomatoes. Not a very high producer, but they are big.

Grew three seasons.

Positive bamabean On Jul 16, 2010, bamabean from Birmingham, AL wrote:

Good size plants. Needs cage for support. Good size and flavor. Took the heat we had out here this summer. I will plant them again.

Negative lssfishhunter On Jan 8, 2010, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

These plants did not produce nearly as I expected. The size was not very good either. I will not plant this variety again because it truly is a waste of space.

Negative rbrown974 On Sep 30, 2009, rbrown974 from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

Delicious was originally called Burpee Delicious. The Burpee catalog, however, has not carried it in several years. Size-wise, for me, the fruit was on par with Brandywine (1-2 lbs. each). But the Delicious fruits were lopsided and misshapen. On Brandywine, the stem supporting the heavy fruit is itself heavy (the size of a manís thumb). On Delicious, the stem is only the size of a lead pencil, not really up to the job. The Delicious yield (pounds of fruit per plant) was not very good. Iím not surprised Burpee dropped it.

Positive Breamfishn On Aug 16, 2009, Breamfishn from Blairsville, GA wrote:

All the flavor and taste that I remember as a child when gathered from mother's garden in the 1950's. It was definately named correctly.

Positive jjpm74 On Aug 8, 2008, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

This variety came as a huge surprise to me. Produces fruits that are larger than softballs, weigh on average 3-4 pounds each and taste as good as the name suggests. A definite mainstay in my garden.

Positive LooneyLinda On Aug 26, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Great flavor, and early enough for me to get some good production.

Positive Lilypon On Sep 10, 2006, Lilypon from Moose Jaw, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Fantastic flavor and production......I've got a couple of monsters and some more averaged sized tomatoes growing on my L. Delcious plants. I gather if I had removed all but a few we would have had even larger fruit.

This tomato was the bestest I've ever had (I love Sun Gold and Black Cherry but it's wonderful to have such a tasty *tomato flavored* mater for a sandwich). ‹

I will make sure this one is always grown in my garden!

Positive tropicalaria On Sep 7, 2006, tropicalaria from Tri-Cities, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Produced medium sized, attractive round fruit for me, rather than the monsters I've heard about. Flavor was decent, not too strong. Makes a good slicer.

Neutral Gabrielle On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted these for a couple of years because they were a fairly early producing tomato, but they weren't my favorite. I prefer a sweeter tomato.

Positive Big_Red On Jul 25, 2005, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Great 'old fashioned' taste, very good producer of huge red tomatoes. I'll save room for these next year!

Positive Tplant On Apr 23, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Huge reddish-pink tomatos. One slice can easily overlap any sandwich. Plant must be heavily supported as the tomatos have been known to weigh as much as five pounds. Holds the World's Record !!!

Positive FCivish On Aug 15, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

Fruits generally large, with good flavor. Not very early. Good production.

Neutral lupinelover On Jan 18, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This variety currently holds the world's record for largest tomato: 7+ lbs. If you want to grow a record-setter, this is definitely one to try.

Birmingham, Alabama