Fukien Tea

Ehretia buxifolia

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Ehretia (eh-RET-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: buxifolia (buks-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Carmona microphylla

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Boca Raton, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida

On Apr 2, 2013, greenman63 from Highland Beach, FL wrote:

Love this plant, it's very easy to grow. Fertilizer will help blooming and berry production. Berries can be harvested when they are a caramel-brown/rust color and allowed to dry. Seedlings need at least part sun to thrive, but not so much that they burn or dry out, and are sensitive to cold below 45F. I had about 12 good seedlings and lost all but one bit by bit due to cold (Florida). I look forward to better results in spring/summer, and have a couple dozen berries off of one bonsai specimen with more coming every couple of days. I have not attempted propagation with cuttings yet because my specimen is still fairly small.

On Mar 20, 2006, jesse333 from Lake Worth, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in South Florida (zone 10) Carmona will grow as a low hedge or can be trained in a std. During summer months grows very fast. In std. will form a semi weeping tree, creative pruning will also help to make plant weep. After years of waiting I finally found a variegated stem in one of my plantings, variegation is cream colored with some leaves totally white and others lightly colored but still a great addition to my variegated collection. Tends to revert so I am always taking off green shoots but worth the trouble since I have never seen this form for sale. Has anyone else had any experience with this variegated form?

On Aug 16, 2005, little_john from Joplin, MO wrote:

I've had two of these as Bonsai...they are very easy to prune, you either clip branchs, pinch buds or remove leaves you don't like. Very easy for topiary. Great tree.