PlantFiles: Blueblossom Ceanothus, California Lilac, Blue Brush
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Skylark'

Family: Rhamnaceae
Genus: Ceanothus (see-an-OH-thus) (Info)
Species: thyrsiflorus (thur-SEE-flor-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Skylark

Dark Blue

By Pianokey59
Thumbnail #1 of Ceanothus thyrsiflorus by Pianokey59

By Pianokey59
Thumbnail #2 of Ceanothus thyrsiflorus by Pianokey59

Positive Pianokey59 On May 20, 2014, Pianokey59 from Fort Mill, SC wrote:

I uploaded a picture of a Skylark that I took on May 19, 2014. I purchased it from ForestFarm Pacifica in Oregon in May 2012. Nearly all the plant literature I read said that it would fail miserably in Southeast gardens because of the summer heat, humidity and heavy clay soil. I live just south of Charlotte NC and have all of these. We had a very wet summer last year with an annual rain total approaching 50". We had the coldest winter in 37 years with low temperatures on two separate nights of 5 and 6. I have to give ForestFarm credit for raising extremely healthy stock but I don't think the "experts", whoever they are, give this plant enough credit for being tough and adaptable. We had a Zone 7 winter last year and while there was some, not a lot, leaf burn, the Skylark Ceanothus bounced back very quickly and now has twice as much inflorescence as last year. I'm pretty certain it will continue blooming until about the second week of June. This specimen is located at the top of a slope on the sunny side of the house (also the colder side in the winter since there is nothing blocking the west or northwest winds). I agree it needs good drainage and I used some soil amendments when planting it but it did everything else on its own and continues to thrive. And this is not an endorsement of ForestFarm because I don't think they have any better idea than I do how a plant will grow when it's in an unfavorable location.

Neutral MulchingMan On Mar 26, 2014, MulchingMan from Eugene, OR wrote:

This is a really nice plant that roots and grows vigorously. Foliage and flowers are nice as well. However, despite being somewhat tolerant of summer water, it has its limits. We had an unusually-wet September last year where we received 7" of rain during the last two weeks. My 'Skylark' responded by dropping most of its root system. It'll work in the Pacific Northwest in most years, but be prepared to take occasional losses during those freak weather events.

Positive suewylan On Sep 29, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Skylark'

Positive bastowp On Feb 26, 2008, bastowp from Brighton
United Kingdom wrote:

I grow 1000's of ceanothus a year through work, and I'd say this is the best ceanothus variety on the UK market. Its very vigourous but has lovely shiny dark green foliage all year round.

It requires a hard prune after flowering. Cut away the seeding heads after flowering.

The UK is Zone 8 and all the ceanothus varities we grow cope well throughout the UK.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Skylark' BLUE BLOSSOM EG (z7) (Hon,Fra,Bfly)
Profuse dark-blue flowers cover this shrub (to 3-6'tall x 5'wide) in e.summer &, added bonus (as if one was needed!): this tolerates summer water better than most Cea.--better prospect for eastern gardens?.S/M-D

Positive fluffygrue On Jun 29, 2006, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lovely little Ceanothus. Unlike some other cultivars, the flowers on this seem to go well with the foliage colour, as they're a paler blue than most. Seems to flower much longer than others.

Fort Mill, South Carolina (2 reports)