PlantFiles: Texas Umbrella Tree
Melia azedarach 'Umbraculiformis'

Family: Meliaceae (me-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Melia (ME-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: azedarach (az-ee-duh-rak) (Info)
Cultivar: Umbraculiformis

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Pink

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

By claudescave
Thumbnail #1 of Melia azedarach by claudescave

Neutral LydiahAnne On Oct 19, 2013, LydiahAnne from Green Valley, AZ wrote:

I planted this tree last year about late summer. It was about 6ft tall. I lost all the leaves-they turned yellow and fell off--thought it had died. Spring rolled around this year, we turned on the drip and it started to get green leaves. No kidding! It got branches real fast, and the trunk thickened up. It got to 12 feet tall. We started the tree with the fertilizer we had on hand for all of our other plants and trees. 'Arizona's Best' general type. Than it started getting yellow leaves again in the summer time-I asked a garden shop what was wrong-he said-its a thick leaf tree and they probably aren't getting enough sunlight. I thought what? The tree is out in the front yard, nothing blocking the sunlight. So I cut back on the watering. Thinking I was over watering. Than I read, it may need acid and iron: so I added vinegar to the water pail and sprinkled iron and still used the fertilizer. But it still continued to get yellow leaves. Its fall now, and it has lots of green leaves, but thru the center of the tree, the leaves are yellow. Don't have any clue whats wrong with the tree. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Positive sun_baked_in_AZ On May 9, 2005, sun_baked_in_AZ from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

planted first one this spring; leafing out well and producing seeds already; even the cutter flies are not bothering this one.

Green Valley, Arizona