Clustered Bellflower

Campanula glomerata

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: glomerata (glahm-er-AH-tuh) (Info)

Medium Blue

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Anchorage, Alaska (2 reports)

Juneau, Alaska

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Spooner, Wisconsin

Waterloo, Wisconsin

On Apr 19, 2012, saskboy from Regina, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

the mauve flowered "superba" has magnificent flowers, but must be vigilantly controlled by pulling up its multitude of seedlings, and it tends to look straggly and moldy after blooming. I cut it right back to the ground after the last flowers fade. The white flowered "alba" is a little shorter and slightly more well-behaved. Superba looks fantastic flowering alongside the yellow trollius and late white tulips.

On Jul 11, 2011, Pippi21 from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have this plant but it doesn't seem to grow that much. I am considering moving it as it needs to be more torward the front of the bed, along with some Snow Lady Daisies, as they grow about the same height.

I don't know how to deadhead this plant but you'd think it would self seed if not deadheaded. Can somebody please tell me how to deadhead it? If I dig the two plants that I have up, will I be able to make more divisions from each plant? I have more seeds and plan to wintersow them. This plant is hard to find at garden centers locally.

On Jun 1, 2011, Picard from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

This plant is absolutely flourishing next to the house - eastern exposure with about 4-5 hours of direct sun. It requires no care or watering in my landscape. Unfortunately it thrives in spite of being mowed and pulled constantly after having been smothered for three summers. Copious amounts of boiling water this spring appear to have have little ill effect. Negative rating because plant is oblivious to my attempts at removing it from the garden.

Free hardy plants to interested parties in SE WI.
You have been warned.

On Jun 24, 2010, AK_Garden_Celt from Anchorage, AK wrote:

Beautiful flower but the plant is taking over. The roots even travelled under the sod to come up in ANOTHER flowerbed about 10 feet away from their point of origin. Need to get it out of the rock garden...to perhaps use it as a border for the yard.

On Jun 18, 2010, ultraviolet32 from Toronto

I absolutely ADORE this flower. Fantastic colour! From further away the clustered flowers look a little bit like alliums - huge, rich purple globes. I really hope what everyone's been saying here is true and it WILL spread. I can't get enough of this plant!!

On Feb 25, 2010, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I inherited a large patch of clustered bellflower when I moved into my house. The flowers are a deep, rich purple and look beautiful when in bloom. The rest of the time, the plants look weedy, particularly after the flowers fade. In this climate I would describe it as mildly invasive, but manageable.

On Aug 7, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very aggressive here. Very bright color not very good lookin foliage though .Depends on what you want personally whether it is a blessing or a curse.

On Apr 13, 2009, hekdek from Columbus, OH wrote:

very striking plant, blooms profusely for 2-3 week in early summer. Can be invasive so plant where it can be controlled

On Aug 22, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms late June to early July in my garden.

On Jun 10, 2008, scarletblooms from Carbondale, KS wrote:

I don't have a large gardening area, so I keep my clustered bellfower in check, not letting it spread. I get total enjoyment from it's beautiful flowers. I did transplant this past early spring and it didn't seem to hurt my plant at all. It is located on the south side of my house and gets plenty of sun in the morning and early afternoon with shade the rest of the day. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy this plant.

On Jul 7, 2007, mvps from Ovando, MT wrote:

In our climate, this plant is EXTREMELY aggressive. I have not found any way to contain it. It is bright purple and does make a fine cut flower, but it just over-runs the columbine and the lawn. Our climate is semi-arid and I think it thrives because it 'grabs' all the water.

On May 29, 2007, AmatureGardner from Vancouver, WA wrote:

This flower flourishes for me. It was very easy to grow, had flowers the first year on shorter plants. The third year it began to grow MUCH taller and spread rapidly (that was good for us then), now I just remove what I do not want and give to others.

The weather here in Vancouver, WA is rainy in the spring & fall, hot and dry in the summer with mild rainy winters. I have this plant on all sides of the house-in sun or shade -does great in not the best soil also.

On Jun 2, 2006, dlgold from Cockeysville, MD wrote:

Had some trouble trasplanting a starter from my Mom. The problem wasn't the plant though. The problem was that I kept pulling it up as a weed! I kept getting new starts because it was a lovely flower, but since it looks kind of ratty and tall before it blooms, I didn't recognise it. It took three years before I finally let the plant go to see what wanted to live so badly, and found out it was my transplants! They looked nice amid my white Iris, and I'm getting great comments on them (see pic).

On Apr 26, 2006, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I was hopeful that this might do well in our garden, as rockery campanulas are rampant here. Sadly this large plant was decimated by slugs/snails within a week of planting, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with good slug/snail populations. Shame. :(

On Mar 24, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow this in full sun and average soil. It never blooms very much for me and doesn't really increase in size either.
I think the one I have might be 'Superba', but, I'm not sure.
If anyone has tips on this plant, please, let me know!!! :)
Thanks :)

On Oct 30, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I look forward to my Superba cultivar blooming every year. I have mine planted in moist, well drained section of my garden and have had no problem with in becoming invasive - in fact, I added more this year.

On Jun 30, 2004, N8078G from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

My neighbors asked me to identify a plant that mysteriously appeared in their front garden. The calendula is beautiful! It must have been planted by a bird with good gardening taste. The nice part is that due to shade and several walnut trees in the backyard they have had little success growing flowers in their yard. If the plant is invasive that be be a good thing for Andy and Cheryl.

On Jun 28, 2004, cbamrick from Green Bay, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

The jury is still out with my Clustrered Bellflower. It is a gorgeous flower, stiff upright and will take all the rain that has been delivered this year in WI but I am afraid it may become very invasive. This is only the second year I have had this plant and already have many, many seedlings to share. If I can keep it under control, I will change my rating to a positive....If not, I will be looking for suggestions to keep it contained. It is lovely this year. Has good drainage and full sun.

On Jun 24, 2003, craigfaubel wrote:

pretty flower but very aggressive. I had to remove it to allow other plants a chance. Cleveland Ohio, well drained, sunny, good soil. Maybe too good.

On Jun 7, 2003, RubyStar from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have both the cultivar 'Superba' and the var. alba. The adage "1st yr sleep, 2nd yr creep, 3rd yr leap" genuinely applies to this plant. But in the 3rd yr it looks fantastic, and in subsequent yrs it is even more magnificent. I've got it in rich, organic soil in part sun & I water weekly if the rain doesn't take care of it. The alba is shorter, but 'Superba' gets fairly tall, up to 30". I don't have to stake. Very long bloom time. Cut the flower stalks down to the ground once all blooms finished, but leave basal mound.

I've heard reports of the massive spreading tendencies of the straight species, but have not had the same experience with 'Superba' -- the alba is too new for me to accurately judge yet.

On Feb 16, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Intense violet-purple flowers, massed in rounded clusters of up to 15 flowers, appearing as one giant bloom from a distance. Also available in white and blue shades.Excellent as a border plant.