PlantFiles: Belladonna Delphinium
Delphinium x belladonna 'Bellamosum'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delphinium (del-FIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: x belladonna (bel-la-DON-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Bellamosum

Thumbnail #5 of Delphinium x belladonna by AnniesAnnuals

By AnniesAnnuals
Thumbnail #6 of Delphinium x belladonna by AnniesAnnuals

Positive whitesam9 On Feb 18, 2012, whitesam9 from Dayton, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite delphiniums. They have a long blooming period for a delphinium. Mine bloomed for two solid months through June and July last year, and then a smaller rebloom later. I staked mine and they grew to about 4 feet tall and developed several branches. I deadheaded each branch before it could go to seed, and that kept the flowers coming. I've tried Bellamosums in both full sun and light shade - they do much better in full sun. Hummingbirds seem to like these delphiniums. It's a very pretty sight to see a ruby-throated hummingbird on the blue flowers.

Positive KaylyRed On Aug 25, 2008, KaylyRed from Watertown, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Delphinium x belladonna 'Bellamosum' has been a super performer in my garden. It's not fussy at all, grows like crazy, and has returned faithfully in its second year here with me. (It is a bit late to wake up in the spring, so be patient.) The brilliant true blue blooms are definitely show-stoppers. Be warned that this delph usually needs staking. Stake it when the plant is about 12" high or it will start to splay out and become unsightly by the time it blooms. (I learned this the hard way my first year.)

My plants have thrived on a springtime side-dressing with aged manure. They seem to have average water requirements. (The delph also makes a good "signal plant." If it's starting to look dry and its leaves are beginning to wilt or curl, I know my garden needs a good soaking.)

After the first bloom (which has always been spectacular for me), I cut off the spent flower stalks and trim the plant back just a bit to freshen up the foliage. Two years in a row now it has rewarded me with a small rebloom in late summer.

Richmond, California