Bleeding Heart Vine, Glory Bower
Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Delectum'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: thomsoniae (tom-SON-ee-ay) (Info)
Cultivar: Delectum
Synonym:Clerodendron thomsoniae
Synonym:Clerodendron thomsonae

Altamonte Springs, Florida

Big Pine Key, Florida

Deland, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Gainesville, Florida

Green Cove Springs, Florida

Homestead, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Largo, Florida

Lutz, Florida

Mulberry, Florida

North Palm Beach, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Osprey, Florida

Bryan, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On May 16, 2011, Jeanio1111 from Carmel, NY wrote:

In my neck of the woods, mid-state New York, the Bleeding Heart is a welcome early spring bloomer. But it's bushy, not a vine. The only negative is that it dies back kind of early in the season so I planted it with a Rose of Sharon for more color in the same space.

On May 16, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

My experience with the plant in Bellaire, Texas, has been profoundly negative. I've tried repeatedly to grow it using different sun exposures, one-gallon-sized specimens, supposedly improved cultivars, etc. Not one plant ever performed; not a single one. Whereas the plant looked good at the nursery, it looks terrible after planting, eventually dying. Never again!

On Jan 11, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this vine planted to cover a trellis each year for three full seasons now. It freezes to the ground each winter but comes right back in spring. Doesn't get blossoms until around late September but the vine is very attractive. I do have to train it to stay on the trellis or it will climb the oak tree, it is very fast grower. I don't see how it can become invasive since it freezes completely down each winter. The flowers don't have a scent and I've not noticed the hummers or bees around it, however have a few green anoles that seem to have taken up residence in it.

On Aug 2, 2010, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Delectum' blooms in late summer and earl -late fall. It dies back in the winter when we have temperatures that are well below freezing for extended periods of time. This winter, we had lows in the lower teens (F). I thought it had died; however, I gave it plenty of time to come back up. It was late in sprouting from its roots. Now, it is growing like crazy. I have had it 2 years and it has not spread by runner to other locations so far.

On Jul 15, 2010, sugarweed from Okeechobee, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in Jacksonville, FL with our 85% sandy soil this plant is very invasive. The neighbor who dug it up and planted in my yard did me NO favors. This plant sprouts about every 2 feet. I will be painting on the Round-up this evening.

On Jan 23, 2008, 006966 from Bluffton, SC wrote:

I purchased my plant last summer. It is growing in a 10" clay pot. It blossomed beautifully all summer in partial sun. It has not bloomed since I brought it inside to avoid temperatures below 50. I need some pointers on the correct way to prune my plant. It has upright branches as well as very long vines which I have to cut back as they get several feet long.

On May 1, 2006, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

We planted this vine on our A-frame in a swampy, very wet location. It has withstood temps as low as 27 degrees and bloomed continuously. It is about 12 feet up on the A-frame, and blooms from the ground up. It has not stopped blooming for more than a year.