PlantFiles: Bleeding Heart Vine, Glory Bower
Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Delectum'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: thomsoniae (tom-SON-ee-ay) (Info)
Cultivar: Delectum

Thumbnail #5 of Clerodendrum thomsoniae by htop

Thumbnail #6 of Clerodendrum thomsoniae by htop

Thumbnail #7 of Clerodendrum thomsoniae by htop

Positive Jeanio1111 On May 16, 2011, Jeanio1111 from Carmel, NY wrote:

In my neck of the woods, mid-state New York, the Bleeding Heart is a welcome early spring bloomer. But it's bushy, not a vine. The only negative is that it dies back kind of early in the season so I planted it with a Rose of Sharon for more color in the same space.

Negative LeslieT On May 16, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

My experience with the plant in Bellaire, Texas, has been profoundly negative. I've tried repeatedly to grow it using different sun exposures, one-gallon-sized specimens, supposedly improved cultivars, etc. Not one plant ever performed; not a single one. Whereas the plant looked good at the nursery, it looks terrible after planting, eventually dying. Never again!

Positive sunkissed On Jan 11, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this vine planted to cover a trellis each year for three full seasons now. It freezes to the ground each winter but comes right back in spring. Doesn't get blossoms until around late September but the vine is very attractive. I do have to train it to stay on the trellis or it will climb the oak tree, it is very fast grower. I don't see how it can become invasive since it freezes completely down each winter. The flowers don't have a scent and I've not noticed the hummers or bees around it, however have a few green anoles that seem to have taken up residence in it.

Positive htop On Aug 2, 2010, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Delectum' blooms in late summer and earl -late fall. It dies back in the winter when we have temperatures that are well below freezing for extended periods of time. This winter, we had lows in the lower teens (F). I thought it had died; however, I gave it plenty of time to come back up. It was late in sprouting from its roots. Now, it is growing like crazy. I have had it 2 years and it has not spread by runner to other locations so far.

Negative sugarweed On Jul 15, 2010, sugarweed from Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Here in Jacksonville, FL with our 85% sandy soil this plant is very invasive. The neighbor who dug it up and planted in my yard did me NO favors. This plant sprouts about every 2 feet. I will be painting on the Round-up this evening.

Positive 006966 On Jan 23, 2008, 006966 from Bluffton, SC wrote:

I purchased my plant last summer. It is growing in a 10" clay pot. It blossomed beautifully all summer in partial sun. It has not bloomed since I brought it inside to avoid temperatures below 50. I need some pointers on the correct way to prune my plant. It has upright branches as well as very long vines which I have to cut back as they get several feet long.

Positive trois On May 1, 2006, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

We planted this vine on our A-frame in a swampy, very wet location. It has withstood temps as low as 27 degrees and bloomed continuously. It is about 12 feet up on the A-frame, and blooms from the ground up. It has not stopped blooming for more than a year.

Altamonte Springs, Florida
Big Pine Key, Florida
Deland, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Homestead, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Largo, Florida
Lutz, Florida
Mulberry, Florida
North Palm Beach, Florida
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Osprey, Florida