Pacific Chrysanthemum, Gold-and-Silver Chrysanthemum, Silver and Gold Chrysanthemum
Ajania pacifica

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ajania (a-JAN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: pacifica (pa-SIF-ik-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Chrysanthemum pacificum

Little Rock, Arkansas

Chula Vista, California

Elk Grove, California

Oakland, California

Vacaville, California (2 reports)

Palm Beach, Florida

Montauk, New York

Bridgeton, North Carolina

Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

Winston Salem, North Carolina (2 reports)

Haviland, Ohio

Rowlett, Texas

Herriman, Utah

Manassas, Virginia

On Feb 27, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I grow Chrysanthemum pacificum in my xeric succulent garden. As long as it has medium shade it seems to need little water. Mine gets water once a month in summer and none in winter. I have had no luck with it in locations with light shade that include some afternoon sun. I have also found it doesn't do well with dense shade. It starts easily from cuttings.

On Nov 19, 2010, eclayne from East Longmeadow, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Don't believe the plant spacing or height numbers! With good sun and decent soil she'll reach 30-36" in width. Beautiful foliage. Nice flower display for late November here in Z6. Super easy to propagate from cuttings. Cut back to ground in spring. Provides two different appearances depending on pruning. If cut back in July by 1/3rd-1/2 she'll be a dense clump. Left alone she'll grow to between 24" and 30" with a more open form. I like both.

On Jan 18, 2010, opmeer from Houston, TX wrote:

i have had this plant for 3 years in a north facing flower bed it blooms every year and survived the last hard freeze.|I love its,beautifull leaves and is very easy to take care of. Bought it at lowe's s it looked unusual, I didn't dream it would last this long

On Nov 20, 2009, terrora wrote:

Love this guy and the little ball flowers....the leaves are lovely on their own. Found it at our herbal farm. Since it gets hot here during our summers, it does well in a pot by our back fence with mid afternoon sun. I'm thinking of planting it in ground by our front side fence, it would spread there nicely and get a little more sun for more flowers without getting burned.
Playin' in the Dirt, (^_~)Terrora

On Sep 26, 2005, jambu from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

Here in Palm Beach, it looks and peforms best with morning sun and a solid shading in the afternoon. Occasional stem dieback during height of rainy season, but strong fresh growth of other stems diminishes visual impact of dying stems.

On May 12, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta - I would never have thought this was a Chrysanthemum. I bought it labeled as a euphorbia! I was recently corrected by a woman who has it growing in her shade garden. So much for full sun requirements. I have mine in a large pot in full sun.

It roots readily - like most mums - by sticking a piece of it in the dirt. Lovely plant.

On Apr 25, 2005, SalmonMe from Springboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

There was a beautiful Silver and Gold chrysanthemum in the display gardens at my favorite nursery in Virginia. It's foliage was so striking that I made sure to make a mental note of the name. I have since moved to Ohio and had forgotten about the plant until I came across it in a local nursery. I bought one right away and am very excited to now have it in my garden :) The flowers are nice, too, but the foliage is the real knockout. Great accent plant for it's bold texture and variegated foliage.