PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Black Prince'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Prince
Additional cultivar information: (aka Czerno Prinz)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by KCorley

By KCorley
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by KCorley

Positive cephalo On Sep 6, 2013, cephalo from Huntsdale, MO wrote:

If you want to make tomato sauce, THIS is your tomato. Very good, rich and sweet flavor with lots of meat. For the ultimate sauce, use these with some Brandywine thrown in and don't use sugar.

Positive nwh On Sep 8, 2012, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

I planted 2 Black Prince this year. The tomatoes are very delicious and I would say the best tasting black tomato I have tried yet. I definitely will plant again. However, it seems like the individual plants vary a lot as to production. I have got about 2 dozen fruits off one of the plants and it is still producing. The other plant seemed very delicate at the beginning of the summer, it was just not growing as quickly, and I have only had a few fruits from it. They both are in the same location. So I would recommend planting more than one.

Positive score2000 On Aug 6, 2012, score2000 wrote:

Great plant in nc, 1 cluster is almost ripe, tennis ball to baseball sized and they're turning a deep brown color, one has cracked. I can't wait to taste them.

Neutral Calalily On Jul 31, 2012, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

Delicious tomato but cracks easily.

Positive EdgarFriendly On Jun 6, 2012, EdgarFriendly from Hermitage, TN wrote:

My first year trying these and have had no harvest yet. However, the plant is very bushy, about 5 feet tall and currently has about 20 tomatoes about egg size right now. Very impressed so far - will update on ripe flavor.

Update: very nice. Smaller size fruit but very tasty. Not acidic. Very prolific.
I'll try them again next year.

Positive KCorley On May 21, 2012, KCorley from Houston, TX wrote:

Black Prince really impressed me and I will definitely increase its use next spring. The flavor is truly unique and very rich and complex. Plants were somewhat below average producers for me, producing mostly smaller fruits, but with some large specimens mixed in. Fruit is ripe when it feels ripe, even if it has some green streaking left on top; below that it should be dark burgundy. Inside should be the color of merlot, without any green or white.

Positive fwfarm On Jan 17, 2012, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

We've grown this most years for 7-8 years now. It's a reliable, early, tasty tomato that produces a large number of smaller, salad size fruits, reliably dark - more mahagony than purple. They are somewhat prone to concentric cracks. The plant itself is the large side. The staff at Nichols, where I got my seed, say their fruit is larger, in the 3" or more range, and that there's variability (but all mine, at two locations, have been smaller fruit)

Positive vadryn On Oct 31, 2011, vadryn from Logan, UT wrote:

Plants grew huge, prolific small fruit with excellent, sweet, fruity flavor. Not acidic or sharp tomato tasting at all. Wonderful sliced on sandwiches. Mixed in with San Marzano for my roasted tomato sauce and WOW! Best sauce we've ever had, hands down. Experimenting with new varieties next year, but not at the expense of this one! Black Prince has a permanent home in my garden now.

Positive azruss On May 17, 2011, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Smaller tomatoes, but delicious ones and the plant is very prolific. It is also good for container gardens because the plant, in my garden, tops out at about 4 feet tall. Will definitely grow again--something I can't say for many varieties here in the dry, dusty desert of Baja Arizona. Waiting to see if it will survive the scorching heat of summer to produce again in the fall.

Positive YardJoy On Sep 1, 2010, YardJoy from Midland, MI wrote:

I bought this plant at the local home improvement store, determined to find a worthwhile heirloom for my Michigan garden. This tomato has been wonderful! The taste is excellent, the fruit is uniform and unblemished, and production has been amazing for my small space. The plant is an aggressive grower and requires diligent staking, but it is well worth the effort. Will definitely plant again in 2011.

Positive LisaGirl187 On Aug 5, 2010, LisaGirl187 from Prescott, AZ wrote:

I had to go out of town for a week and found that my mater-sitter lacked a green thumb. My Black Prince died down to the ground and only had a small stub of a stem about a half inch long. I decided to build a very tiny, make-shift greenhouse to see what would happen. As of this morning, my plant stands 4 feet tall and has approximately 30 tomatoes on it, almost ripe for the picking. I had to re-stake it, as it is so wide and heavy and has outgrown it's tomato cage. This is the healthiest tomato plant I've ever grown, and we live in the high deserts of Arizona, just outside of Prescott. They usually don't do this amazing here. I can't wait to taste them.

Positive jimh6278 On Nov 24, 2009, jimh6278 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

Very sweet, early and prolific. As others have mentioned, it is a small, soft tomato better off eaten fresh. I will always include one BP in my garden plans.

Positive SLO_Garden On Jul 6, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Black Prince is a good tomato. It is prolific and tasty with a classic "black tomato" flavor. I had no problems with disease. My only nit-pick is that the skins were somewhat thick and as a tomato that is best eaten fresh (too soft to can), that was a bit of a problem for me personally. Otherwise, a quality tomato.

Positive dmj1218 On May 14, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very good flavor, an excellent tasting black tomato (one of the best to me); but poor production. One the upside, fairly small indeterminate plants. 64 days in my spring 2006 garden. If I try this variety again, it will definitely be for the flavor--black tomatoes are my favorite.

Positive QueenB On Jun 26, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Plants are large and sturdy, producing several small to medium fruits in a cluster. Ripe fruit have a dark red to maroonish pulp that is mildy sweet and surprisingly low in acid. Great for slicing and cooking as the seed chambers are small and there is a lot of "meat" in them. The only drawback I have found is that they have a very short shelf-life after harvesting, going mushy in a few days time. Some occasional zippering of the fruits may occur.

Pirkkala,