Threadleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed 'Rosea'

Coreopsis verticillata

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: verticillata (ver-ti-si-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea
Synonym:Coreopsis rosea

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Mount Prospect, Illinois

Westwood, New Jersey

Alden, New York

Wellsville, New York

Wykagyl, New York

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Belfield, North Dakota

Cambridge, Ohio

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Bend, Oregon

Vancouver, Washington

Lodi, Wisconsin

On Sep 4, 2011, Anemophilous from Edgartown
United States wrote:

Does pink-flowered Coreopsis verticillata exist? Or are plants labeled C. verticillata 'rosea' really Coreopsis rosea, a different species?

On Jul 28, 2009, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

Not crazy about this one at all. Way too delicate, very thin foliage, weak stems. The flowers are small and don't really show unless you are close up. I guess I prefer bold colors and larger flowers. Anything near it will overpower it.

On May 3, 2008, makushla from Wykagyl, NY wrote:

hey y'all,

Well, I think the first thing to need to know about this type of coreopsis is that its really different from the yellow coreopsis. The yellow corepsis tends to generally stand up straight and have a huge prescence.

I bought some semi-dying plants from a catalogue in 2007, put them in in partial shade, and they took a while to flower. However, once they flowered, they were delicate and beautiful - heavenly really. In my semi-shade garden, they did not stand up tall like the yellow coreopsis do in the full sun, but they have a beautiful, delicate quality. They tend to flop over a bit, and dead-heading is a real plus. (do it!)

It's June and they are only just coming up. (like once inch plants). However, I'm excited because they r... read more

On Jul 7, 2005, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love it!

On Dec 28, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant has been growing in my zone 4 garden for 3 years now, and although it does bloom, it grows in a ring, with the inner portion dying off each winter. I've left it because it does bloom and is lovely, but not it's not an eyecatcher.

On Jul 26, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have this plant in several places in my garden (4B-5A) and have not had any problems with it's returning from year to year. However, I have also found if you are going to put this one in full sun, make sure the soil is always moist; that's the "difference" between this coreopsis and most other varieties. It is actually quite tolerant of "boggy" sites.

On Jul 25, 2003, pfluggy from Rosemount, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I haven't had good results with this form of coreopsis. I have good luck with tickseed and moonbeam. The plant I have is in it's 3rd season and has yet to produce a bloom. I live in zone 4a and have the plant in mostly sun.

On Jul 19, 2003, mrchala from Lodi, WI wrote:

This plant tends to be picky in colder climates like Wisconsin. You need to cover it with a thick layer of leaves or hay to protect it from the extreme cold.