Peace Lily 'Mauna Loa Supreme'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spathiphyllum (spath-ee-FIL-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Mauna Loa Supreme

Columbia, South Carolina

Broaddus, Texas

Victoria, Texas

On Aug 1, 2008, movewithmel from Houston, TX wrote:

I need help with what I believe to be the Mauna Loa variety of the Peace Lily. I just received two large ones (that look like dark banana plants) as a pool warming. Bad idea. Clearly, none of us (the givers or the receivers) knew this was an indoor plant or one that shouldn't be kept anywhere over 75 degrees. We're in the middle of a hot, Houston summer, and temps are nearing 100 degrees. We also placed them in full sun. In one day they had severely drooped, so we immediately repotted them, thinking that was the problem. Our friends called them banana plants so we had no idea the temperature could be affecting them. The next day they were black, and I noticed the little tag for the first time, which said they were Peace Lilies and were indoor plants.

On Jun 10, 2008, hmbgerl from Folsom, CA wrote:

This plant loves water! If you should ever come home from a few days away and find this plant completely wilted, just give it some water and in an hour or two it will be back to normal. We bought ours from Costco a year ago and we've had lots of new leaves but no flowers yet.

Update: We double-potted ours to keep the soil from drying out and it hasn't wilted since then. Both plants have flowered. Flower stays a long time before turning brown.

On Sep 19, 2006, keonikale from Lexington, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Have had this plant for about a year and a half now, never really new it was a "Supreme" variety, but always figured it had to be different from regular Spath's given it's giant size. The flower is also huge. After blooming I noticed the new leaves get a lot smaller for a few months (I guess the bloom drained the plant), but they are back to normal now.

Our plant loves water... almost to the point it likes the soil moist all the time.

If it's truly called Mauna Loa Supreme, that's ironic. It previously was the only plant we had in our apartment that didn't have a tie to Hawaii. I guess now it does.

Great plant though. Would highly recommend to others.

On Apr 16, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is an attractive, large-leaved Spathiphyllum variety. I'm not sure if it is 'Supreme', 'Mauna Loa Supreme' or another hybrid. Still, because of the beautiful, all-green (when mature) large flowers (much larger than the normal 'Mauna Loa' variety), I think it is 'Mauna Loa Supreme' (see the photos I posted).

The 'Supreme' Spathiphyllum varieties have large, green leaves that are often oval-shaped to somewhat pointed, and are wider than other Spathiphyllum varieties. 'Mauna Loa Supreme' has lush, lance-shaped, tropical dark green, shiny foilage leaves that are large and wide. The young flowers are all-white and pointed when just emerging and growing under the leaves (they are closed, rounded, pointed and too young to open then). Once they poke just above the leaves, the s... read more