Mugwort
Artemisia douglasiana

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Artemisia (ar-te-MIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: douglasiana (dug-lus-ee-AN-uh) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Ogdensburg, New York

Lancing, Tennessee

positive

On Sep 1, 2014, JennyAnne from Dudley, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Mugwort..... This plant should be illegal to sell! It is easily the MOST invasive plant on the planet! A bird must have dropped a seed, or a piece of this plant must have come in a load of mulch I had delivered... I never planted it, did not recognize it, but left this SINGLE stalk alone in my huge perennial garden for one season to see if it would flower. (I've got columbine that appeared in my garden out go nowhere this way) well... This single plant grew over spring and summer and went dormant over fall and winter, only to appear EVERYWHERE in the spring! Thousands of plants on complicated runner highways underground took over my garden. Yes, I pulled and pulled and pulled. I hired a landscaping company to pull it also. We sprayed it, burned it, and covered it with thick black tarps. Ye... read more

On Jul 25, 2014, Siirenias from Oak Park, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a somewhat common plant, native to western North America. Its native range is often associated with Toxicodendron diversilobum or Poison Oak, and anywhere with enough moisture for vigorous Poison Oak growth has enough moisture for Mugwort to grow. In California, it thrives in riparian habitat and some coastal communities. I've seen man-high stands of Mugwort up in Santa Barbara alongside invasive Castor in semi-open chaparral.

Good for soil retention on slopes that either get at least good fog moisture or shade. It spreads by rhizome. In hot, dry climates, it's a slow spreader and population control is no problem. Apparently, it is a much greater problem in places that get regular rain.

Mugwort will often present itself either as lobed-leaved or ... read more

On Nov 11, 2013, cathy166 from Stamford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

This horrible plant sends underground runners that are impossible to contain. I rue the day the former owner planted it along with houttuynia. I can pull and pull, to no end. It just pulls up a 20-inch root that is growing elsewhere in the same bed.

On Dec 10, 2011, Kamanjah from Rancho Calaveras, CA wrote:

I'm not growing this plant, it grows wild on our property. There seem to be two different varieties, one with the lobed leaves and one with the straight leaves shown in the photo with the flowers. The straight leaved ones are quite a bit more fragrant when dried, but the lobed ones are more fragrant when used for smudging.

Does anyone know if these are both douglasiana?

Thanks!

On Apr 7, 2011, skhamby from Lancing, TN wrote:

In my east TN garden, this plant has become a nightmare. It is by far the most invasive plant I've ever dealt with next to lirirope. Spreads via long runners that pop up anywhere and everywhere. I planted two little mounds 3 years ago and am pulling them up 20 feet from the orignial planting site. So- if you want a 3 foot tall plant that spreads like wildfire, go for it. If you don't, then beware mugwort. I give it a neutral rating simply because I should have researched the plant before purchase and thus avoided this battle.