PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sun Cherry'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sun Cherry

Regular Leaf

By dorisv
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by dorisv

Positive lemonwater On Feb 2, 2008, lemonwater from Mountain View, CA wrote:

I grew this plant for the first time last season (07) and loved it! It did well when all my all my other tomato plants did not. It ripens very early (58 days) and constantly produced tons of small but very sweet, thin skinned cherry tomatoes.One plant produced enough tomatoes for me to share with friends and family and I had absolutely not problems with cracking or pests either.

Sun Cherry is definitely the best tasting cherry tomato I have had so far and I will certainly be growing many more of them this upcoming season. Tomato Growers describes it as the "red-fruited sister to the popular orange Sun Gold". I have not tried Sungold yet so I can't compare the two, but I will be growing both this season to compare taste. Sun Cherry also stayed alive and well into January for me, still producing some sweet tomatoes. It never did end up dying, so I eventually pulled it out to prepare the soil for next season. I'm very surprised this tomato isn't very popular!

Positive Suze_ On May 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Good flavor, very sweet. One of the better tasting truss type hybrid red cherries, imo.

Neutral DrDoolotz On Apr 30, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

Trying for first time in 2006. Since this plant is a hybrid, seed collecting is not recommended because it is unlikely to come true from seed.

Los Altos, California