Papalo, Papaloquelite

Porophyllum ruderale subsp. macrocephalum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Porophyllum (por-oh-FIL-um) (Info)
Species: ruderale subsp. macrocephalum

Ithaca, New York

Logan, Utah

Gainesville, Virginia

On Jun 18, 2015, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

I like this plant, though the aroma can sort of become overwhelming. I can't really describe the taste or aroma - it's papalo (it does have some citrus notes - and perhaps floral ones too - and a sort of refreshing aroma?) I have to sort of rant THIS IS NOT EVEN CLOSELY RELATED TO CILANTRO. Every plant used as seasoning (in tropical climes) that is unfamiliar is compared to cilantro - and I'm just sick of it. I don't find any similarity in taste or look to cilantro in this plant. The ONLY similarity is it's use. Anyway its quite easy to grow - though the seeds are not that viable (or are variable in germination times) - but they transplant very easily.

On Feb 15, 2009, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got few seeds to germinate, but maybe it needs higher temperatures and more time than I allowed (as an earlier note confirms). Tough, grows fairly quickly, can get leggy and blow over. I prefer the taste and smell to those of cilantro (not fond of that). Seed is very much in the Compositae style, reminding me a bit of dandelion or marigold. Definitely a plant to grow regularly, at least for me.

On Aug 25, 2008, kkane from Davis, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Easy to grow in Sacramento Valley (CA). Luscious. Addicting. Just try a few times and you are hooked. Full son, not picky about water. Grows to ~4’ here, flowers Sept/Oct. Germinates in June. Produces many seeds, which produce volunteers. Seed viability declines rapidly after a year or so. Brush the plant as you walk through the garden…brings smiles. My seed comes from my son, given to him by “Tall Man” when son was hitch-hiking to S. Baja. Favorite exotic herb. Thus, “Tall Man Papalo.”

On Sep 22, 2007, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love the flavor of this plant--much more complex and exciting than cilantro, which is probably the closest familiar plant. I haven't had outstanding luck in getting the plant to really flourish in my climate, but I've enjoyed watching its growth and using its leaves, nevertheless. Apparently, it's supposed to develop some fairly impressive flowers, but I don't think mine will reach that point before frost!

On Mar 7, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This 3' annual is an ancient Mexican herb with unusual piquant green leaves. Sometimes is referred to as "cilantro on steroids". Has a complex nice flavor. In restaurants, papalo is put out in bowls and left on tables for diners to add to their food. Unlike cilantro this herb retains its flavor after it is dried. Good in soups, salads, tacos, beans, meats, etc...

Germ. @75-85 deg F for 2-3 wks.