Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.
Turn bumper crops -- fruits and all kinds of vegetables -- into mouth-watering pickles and relishes as tasty as Grandmother used to make -- in much less the time, with far less salt, and with no chemical additives.
New recipes for today's cooks include:
* Freezer pickles that take less than a half hour to prepare.
* Refrigerator pickles that require no canning.
* Salt-free pickles for dieters.
* Traditional dill crock pickles, including no-fail Half-Sours.
* Variations on old favorites, such as sunshine pickles, bread and butters, pickled okra, pickled cauliflower, piccalilli, dilly beans, and chutney.
* Pickles and relishes made from apples, beans, beets, carrots, corn, cauliflower, cucumbers, Jerusalem artichokes, okra, onions, parsnips, pears, peppers, purslane, pumpkins, summer squash, red and green tomatoes, watermelon, and zucchini.
Dozens of tips guarantee crisp pickles without alum. Illustrated step-by-step pickling methods provide easy guidance for even novice picklers.