Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
Illustrated with 50 color photos, all the information a reader needs to succeed with a garden in a cold climate:
* Selecting shrubs, trees and perennials that are hardy to zone 5 or colder, and making use of microclimates;
* Planting only vegetables and fruits that will ripen in a short season;
* Designing a landscape that for much of the year will be enjoyed only from the inside looking out;
* Protecting plants through the uses of mulch, cloches, cold frames, row covers,windbreaks, and antidessicant sprays;
* Making use of microclimates; plus lists of the best plants for northern gardens.