Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.
Use this book to grow your own fruits and berries, and you’ll discover the joys of tree-ripened peaches and vine-ripened cantaloupe just bursting with farm-fresh flavor. Suitable for both beginners and experts, it's the perfect resource for anyone engaged in America’ #1 hobby, gardening. Not only do you learn how to grow your own fabulous fruits and berries, The Farmer's Wife will tell you what to do with all the produce you harvest!
In the garden, you’ll learn how to:
· Find space for fruits and berries in your landscape, or even on your patio in pots
· Select the varieties that are right for your tastes, climate and property limitations
· Plant and care for each type of fruit or berry
· Espalier fruit trees into unique shapes
· Repel deer and other pests using inexpensive methods that work every time
For each fruit and berry included, you’ll know:
· When to expect the first harvest
· When and exactly how to pick the fruits and berries
· How much yield to expect
· How to store and/or freeze the fresh produce
· How to prepare it for eating or cooking
In the kitchen, you’ll have hundreds of fast, easy and absolutely delicious recipes for serving your harvest. For each type of fruit or berry, you'll get recipes for:
· Ice creams that take only 20 minutes from start to serving, including low-fat variations, if desired
· Ices (like sherbert or sorbet without any dairy products)
· Butters and sauces, old farm staples at every meal
· Pies from scratch using the generations-old farm wife recipes
· Cobblers, biscuits, crisps and more!
Nothing can match the fabulous flavor of home-grown fruits and berries — and this book will have you eating your own in no time!