The scoop on 'Just Fruits and Exotics'

Just Fruits and Exotics

30 St. Frances St.
Crawfordville, Florida 32327-4257 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $3

Visit Just Fruits and Exotics at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive milehighgirl
Denver, CO
October 21, 2013
I emailed JF&E in October 2012 to be put on the wait list for a Smith's Best and Great Wall persimmon. In July 2013 I received a phone call asking if I still wanted them. I was then sent an email with a pre-order invoice. In October 2013 I received a shipping reminder. I then emailed and asked to have a che tree added to the order. On October 18, 2013 my three trees arrived in awesome condition with awesome packaging.

This is how business is supposed to be run!!! I will most definitely order from them again.
Positive hamartolos
Panama City, FL
October 4, 2013
Perhaps this review exceeds the ambit of "mail order." I ordered by telephone to reserve two trees for pickup. Being new to gardening at my present residence, I thought the price for the Persian and kaffir lime trees was high, until I picked up the trees. They were huge, had difficulty fitting them into the car. The Persian had fruit on it. Since bringing these trees home, both have begun to bear fruit even while still in their pots. No leaf loss experienced. The purchases were well worth the price. This company gave me a flier that explains how to care for citrus trees. Other companies in this part of the Deep South are rip-offs. In contrast,Just Fruits & Exotics is a reliable nursery devoted to our success as gardeners.
Positive Strawther
Chickasaw, AL
July 7, 2013
Hello,
I've ordered about 10 fruit plants from Just fruits. All arrived with healthy root systems and the first tier limbs already started at about 2.5 feet. The support staff at Just fruits is helpful and knowledgeable. Anything that I buy from them I know will grow and fruit well in my area. I've bought from many online nurseries and they are one of the best, an exceptionable company.
Positive tallynole77
January 13, 2013
Just Fruits is a fantastic nursery for fruits, veggies, plants and flowers. The prices did not seem as high to me as some are complaining about, but I live close enough I can drive over instead of using mail order. They are higher than Lowes, but the difference in quality is no comparison. You get what you pay for. I have bought several apple trees, pear trees, pomegranates, an orange, a mulberry, blueberry bushes, elephant ears and angel trumpets from JF and all are doing well at 1.5 years post planting. I was very impressed with how helpful their staff is and how they ask questions to make sure what you are buying grows well in your zone. They will continue to help you along by phone or email if you run into snags down the road. They have a wide ranging selection, so they are definitely worth checking out if they are a drivable distance from you. I plan to go back soon.
Positive forgottenfl
Crawfordville, FL (Zone 8b)
September 1, 2012
This spectaular nursery is just a couple of miles from my home and since I have been trading there for 16 yrs or so, this review is long overdue. When I first moved to the area I began purchasing plants for my garden; in those days it was pretty much Brandy. Through the years the nursery grew and the plan they laid was fulfilled. I cannot think of a better group of people than Brandy, Ted and the others involved in this business. Their professionalism, knowledge and commitment to their customers is very evident. I most certainly am hooked!
Positive lysis
Scottsdale, AZ
April 26, 2012
Bought several plums and apples that I couldn't get anywhere else. Prices were above average, but the plants came well rooted and have done very well.
Positive jeffhagen
Fort Lauderdale, FL
November 15, 2011
These guys are top notch. I ordered a Hachiya persimmon from them. Today it came, and it's extremely nice and healthy. The shipping was fabulous, and the customer service was outstanding. 5 stars for these guys.

Jeff
Positive candb
Cypress, TX (Zone 9a)
March 4, 2011
I ordered a Tropic Snow peach tree from Just Fruits and Exotics on February 24, 2011. I received the tree yesterday. WOW!!! What a beautiful, healthy, nice-sized peach tree! My husband and I were both blown away. I am thoroughly impressed, not only with the tree, but the customer service was excellent, as well as the secure (and eco-friendly) packaging and fast shipping. I should have ordered all my trees from them! I will definitely order from them again in the future.
Positive carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL
January 20, 2011
Second time I've ordered from them and my experience both times has been positive.

They're not the cheapest place, but their stuff is healthy and their customer service is top notch. Plus they have an amazing selection of fruit. Each tree comes with a PDF on care and fertilization, and they are willing to guide you through what's best for your area. When I called in my order, the lady on the phone actually tried to discourage me from buying a particular variety of orange as it wasn't on a hardy rootstock, until she knew I lived in a zone that could support it. That's integrity!

Order was shipped exactly when they said it would be, and arrived the next day, well packed and in good condition. A tracking number was provided.

Like another commenter, my only complaint is that they're too far away for me to just drive to, otherwise, I have really nothing bad I can say about this company.
Positive PARRISHNM
Dade City, FL
December 1, 2010
I purchased over 10 fruit trees this last summer, and all are very healthy. The assistance we received from their nursery staff was excellent. I had decided to pick up the plants because of the disasters we had purchasing from the south Georgia nurseries by mail order. I walked the nursery field with their staff and picked the plants that we wanted from their stock. I didn't see any poor stock or sick plants. All their plants are extremely well cared for and healthy. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them by mail order.
Positive cowpea123
Coushatta, LA
November 18, 2010
Great company! Shipped my order when they said they would and did not charge my card until it was shipped.The plants were larger than I expected and very healthy and robust. Will order from them again!
Positive Landstander
Gainesville, FL (Zone 8a)
October 15, 2010
I have bought over 15 Trees(citrus, peaches, plum, nectarines, pomegranates figs and persimmon) and a slew of blackberries and blueberries. They are always healthy trees and bushes, and they are all doing quite well. Whenever I had a question, they would take the time to answer via email or over the telephone. The different variaties can not be beat. The only problem I have is that it is over 3.5 hours away, but you can not find one that pays close attention to detail as this nursery.--Tim
Positive bobcauthen
Meansville, GA
April 30, 2010
Several months ago my wife and i drove 5 hrs for a pineapple pear and other trees. i had spoken with them on the phone and they were wonderful. the service we recd was outstanding as were the plants. planning another road trip for more.
Positive bodhi_woman
Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b)
July 12, 2009
Not only does this company have a fantastic variety of fruit trees, they sell the best performing vegetable plants I have ever purchased. I have bought some of the most unique varieties of eggplant there, as well as many herbs, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Their plants outperform all plants from other sources!
They are really nice folks!
Positive J_R_S
Carrabelle, FL
June 23, 2009
I have to echo what all the other positive reviews have said -- the people at Just Fruits and Exotics are all dedicated and passionate gardeners in their own right who run a commercial specialty nursery with the same commitment. Incredibly friendly, super-knowlegeable and always ready to make an extra effort. After having so many bad mail-order experiences, it is wonderful to find a place that *really* packages their plants well for the rigors of shipping and they include the UPS shipping bill so you know you only paid for the actual shipping charge and nothing extra. They are constantly expanding their already wide collection of trees and plants and keep their prices reasonable. Not cheap, but reasonable for the quality and service and help you get. If you want cheap you should shop elsewhere -- but if you want real value for your money and know that it's the time and effort you put into growing the plant once you get it home that is the real cost, then you can't go wrong putting that effort into growing something you got from these folks.
Positive DennInMI
Manistee, MI (Zone 4b)
February 7, 2009
Just wanted to comment about "Just Fruits and Exotics."

I contacted them about their hardiest varieties of Asian persimmons for a very marginal climate, where I'm trying to "push the zone." Through several e-mail conversations, they were extremely helpful. I finally ended up ordering 2 trees from them, which were shipped in early December.

The trees were by far the best quality persimmon trees I've ever received from a mail-order nursery, about 4 feet tall, very thick trunks, healthy looking. The packaging job was like Fort Knox to open, but it did a great job protecting the trees in shipment.

I'd highly recommend this company.
Positive firebirdbandit
Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b)
January 3, 2009
I went to check out this nursery today and it is very nice. The people were very friendly and everything was nicely organized and everything was marked clearly. The prices were decent too. I couldn't believe how many citrus trees they have. I can't wait to start gardening when I get a house soon.
Positive Delisa
Wildwood, FL (Zone 9a)
October 29, 2007
I made an order by phone for pickup this fall from Just Fruits and Exotics. I have never had such excellent service and the person (Brandy) that I was making the order with even helped me pick out the type of fruit trees I would need for my zone and for depending on what I was using the tree for. When I went to pick up my order (they also ship) the nursery gardens were beautiful and full of butteryfly garden plants. Everything was neat and organized. Brandy, who had taken my order a couple months ago, also pruned my fruit trees for me while giving me a pruning lesson. I guess you can tell I was totally impressed by the service. The fruit trees were also very healthy and large. They will be having strawberry plants ready in a couple of weeks for your fall strawberry gardens in the south. I took home 50 of the strawberry plants also. This year the strawberry plants offered are the 'Festival' variety. It is a commerical type strawberry that has a high fruit yield. This nursery has many fruiting trees that are hybrids developed by the University of Florida for warm zone growing. Although some customers may feel that the price is a bit higher I am thrilled to even find an apple and pear tree that will grow and fruit in Central Florida. Yes, I will be returning to this lovely nursery.
Positive Johnboy07
Covington, LA
September 23, 2007
Excellent customer service. Honest as the day is long. This company cares about its customers and will go the extra mile to prove it. Every time I have called, the person answering the phone has been friendly and helpful. The owner has taken the time to speak with me and answer my questions. She is extremely helpful. First class all the way. I am glad that I have found this company.
On October 16th, 2007, Johnboy07 added the following:

I was able to visit Just Fruits and Exotics almost two weeks ago. My drive was approximately 6 hours each way,and I must say that the experience was well worth it. The persimmon, mayhaw, loquat and blueberries that I purchased were absolutely beautiful. I had to write again now that I have experienced more than their customer service over the phone. I will be a long term customer and look forward to both future mail-orders and a return trip. These folks really care, and are nice. Thanks again Brandy, Ted, Marquetta and crew for your caring, hospitality and for getting it right.
On November 2nd, 2008, Johnboy07 added the following:

Once again I have made my annual late summer journey (driving almost 7 hours to get there and 7 back) to Just Fruits and Exotics. The following will detail my experiences.

First, the persimmon and other fruit trees that I purchased in 2007 are flourishing. All of my trees have put on at least 12 inches or more of growth. Some would have produced, but I removed the fruit the first year to give added strength to the trees.

Second, the persimmon and other fruit trees that I purchased this year were high quality and first class in every way.

The owners of this company and their employees are the best that I have ever dealt with, and I have been a gardener for over 43 years. They are honest, price their stock fairly, and go the extra mile. I very highly recommend them by either pick-up or mail order.

The travel time and cost is worth it in every way. These are truly superior plants. I am looking forward to my visit again next year. I truly appreciate Ted, Brandy and Marquetta.
Positive perak
September 15, 2007
I love the fruit trees they sell, very good quality and good knowlegde of the trees they sell, will buy from them again
Neutral Damascus
Haughton, LA
January 30, 2007
Incredibly high prices, nearly double the average price I have seen shopping about 40 other nurseries (so far). I have never heard of any type of business claiming it cost them more to do mail order than the old fashioned way either.
Positive ccarter756
Gulf Breeze, FL (Zone 8a)
October 26, 2006
We decided to drive the 200+ miles from Navarre to Crawfordsville rather than mail order, and I am glad I did! Yes, it's a long way to drive for a peach tree, but the website offerings are only a sample of all of the wonderful things available at this place. They were gracious enough to help me pick a tree, and to give me a pruning lesson. Along with their fantastic selection of southern fruit trees and shrubs, they have a great selection of tropicals, lots of native trees and shrubs, a small but very unusual herb section and lots of gorgeous pots and garden art. The nursery has lots of small gardens which provide great ideas for design. Everything is clearly marked with great information about the cultivar, and reasonably priced. I'm already planning my next trip.
Positive hamster26
Ocala, FL
September 30, 2006
I bought a pomegranate (Wonderful), blackberry, and an olive by mail order last year and was completely happy with the plants. I live in Ocala, FL and the trees are growing very well. Have already placed another order for the fall. Great customer service!
Positive cowboy
cairo, GA (Zone 8b)
April 23, 2006
i contacted them about blueberry plants / e mail. they helt back for me the 3 i wanted untill i could go down and pick them up. my fellow plant collector and i arrived, they got my plants, and we looked for round a hour or so. they are an excellent nursery to visit and purchase plants from.
i met brandy in '01' when the southern fruit fellowship stopped there as part of our meeting. they are very knowledgeable, and it is fun to shop there. i'm from grady co. (cairo), ga.
Positive borged
Thomasville, GA (Zone 8b)
April 18, 2006
I live in Thomasville a little over an hour away from Crawfordville. We made it a family trip to check them out. We were greeted as we walked in and I told the person what we were looking for. They pointed us in the right direction and we browsed around for a while. Once we were ready to select our plants (2 apples and a satsuma) we had no trouble getting help. The employee answered our questions thoroughly and helped us select our plants. Prices were reasonable and the plants were healthy. We were given several pages of information on how to plant, care for and trim the trees. We'll be buying from them again!

I'm very happy to report all 3 trees we purchased are doing very, very well.
Positive BurmesePython
April 9, 2006
I live in Tallahassee, and try to stop by this nursery every time I pass through Crawfordville. They are very knowledgeable about what grows here (Zone 8B) and have many plants that I have been unable to find at other nurseries - jujube, cold-hardy citrus (Tiwanica lemon, Changsi orange, etc.), various kinds of kiwi vine, the list goes on and on. They also have a large selection of ornamentals and the plants are always in tip top shape.
Positive England57
Jacksonville, FL
May 9, 2005
Wow! What a great experience. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and decided to take the 3-hour road-trip to Just Fruits and Exotics to stock up on various exotic plants. I got lost and happened to arrive at the place with exactly two minutes to spare before closing time. I was expecting to be rushed out the door. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Brandy and her staff took all the time I needed to make my selections. Brandy was especially helpful and patient as I asked her question after question. In the end, I stayed there nearly 2-hours (which made her and her husband late for a dinner engagement) and I drove home with a van full of plants. Brandy and her husband and staff clearly love their plants and their customers. I can't say enough good things about this place.

I'm writing this several weeks after my trip to the place. Every single one of the 17 plants I bought are doing great and growing well! This is a remarkable feat in itself but, considering I don't have a green thumb, this is a true miracle.

I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone.
Positive ATHagan
Gainesville, FL
March 14, 2005
I'm not big on mail ordering plants so for four years running now I have made a 300 mile round trip to the Just Fruits folks to purchase from them. They are the single best source of Florida adapted fruit trees and vines that I have found to date. They've been very helpful about providing advice on culture and variety selection. They have a number of selections specific to them that were discovered on homestead of the surrounding Florida countryside some of which I am trialling now.

Like any nursery though call to be certain they have want you want actually in stock. Some times they sell out of given varieties.

I would not hesitate to purchase from them again and will be making my fifth annual trip to Crawfordville come January 2006.

.....Alan - Gainesville, FL area.

Positive tallydad
January 18, 2005
I've done business with Just Fruits several times, both in person and through a friend who also shops there. It's been a uniformly positive experience: very nice folks, good product, patient and informative service, and reasonable prices. I recommend them highly.
Positive egelhoff
Rockville, MD
January 14, 2005
These folks couldn't be nicer. They didn't have a hard-to-find item I needed, but they hunted down a phone number for me of someone that did. Highly recommended!
Positive Ryck
April 30, 2004
I don't usually (have never) participate in these things, but I can't let the opportunity go by to let you know how positive my experience has been with these folks. Brandy is one of those rare "salt of the earth" people who communicate more effectively with plants, animals, and birds than to people. She's very shy until you get her talking about greatest love - her plants. She learned from a master - her Father. I've ordered from all over the south with mediocre results. I was thrilled to learn, quite by accident, these very dedicated and knowledgeable people are right in my back yard (I live in Tallahassee). Everything I bought from them has not just survived, but thrived, even under my brown thumb. You couldn't find a better friend when you need help with any variety of fruit plants.
Positive mayree
Leonia, NJ (Zone 6b)
April 10, 2004
A wonderfully pleasant experience. I live all the way in N.J. and received very helpful instructions. Love the catalog and now the web site--"http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com" Check it out!
P.S. I grew up in Tallahassee and my niece designed the web site but I'm not partial--it really IS a good place.
Positive rockmaker
February 7, 2004
Great nursery! Ordered four trees, they arrived in great shape and were of good size. Nice people to talk to, also.
Positive frseraphim
Virginia Beach, VA
February 5, 2004
I contacted Just Fruits and Exotics by e-mail several weeks ago and got an immediate response. A catalog arrived in 3 days. I asked for advice about when to order certain plants and got 2 rapid responses with good advice. I made my first order last Sunday, Feb. 1, 2004 and had a nice and encouraging talk with Brandy--one of the owners. My plants, Muscadine Vines, arrived 3 days later in great shape and are healthy, beautiful vines. Many directions were included. This is a wonderful place to do business!

Fr. Seraphim Stephens,
Virginia Beach, VA
Positive Jodiels
December 10, 2003
I have dealt with many nurseries in the past 35 years and Just Fruits is my greatest find in a nursery close by with the greatest selection of unusual plants and by far the greatest selection of fruit bearing plants! Ted and Brandy are a real pleasure to deal with and both have a vast knowledge of the plants they sell. This nursery is well worth a road trip to visit!
Positive pfgetty
November 16, 2003
I have dealt with many fruit nurseries in the past several years, and this is my favorite. They are friendly, informative, and polite. The products have been wonderful......the stock is very sturdy and healthy. I love their catalog.
Paul Getty