The scoop on 'Completely Clematis Specialty Nursery'

Completely Clematis Specialty Nursery

217 Argilla Road
Ipswich, Massachusetts 01938-2617 (United States)

Phone: 1-978-356-3197

Comments:

Positive PatsyGC
Pawtucket, RI
June 9, 2013
Visited the nursery just before bloom time this year. Good selection of healthy plants. Owner willing to discuss pros and cons of each and make recommendations. All are now planted and doing well. I intend to order more from her by internet (almost 2 hour drive for me)

Patsy C, RI
Negative gamekeeper
New Boston, NH
August 20, 2009
Ordered an Artic Queen when it arrive I was shocked it was such a small seedling.Followed all instructions and plant has done nothing .Have in the past had good luck with Clematis from a local nursery and will do all future business with them but thought this company advertising in Fine Gardening would be acceptable.Very disappointed.
Negative catmum10b
Salem, NH
April 11, 2009
I visited the nursery to make my purchases, and although I found the plants to be small and expensive I purchased 7. Out of the7 plants, only 3 have survived and flourished. I have had much better luck with my local garden center plants, which are larger and more reasonably priced. I am however, very happy with the three that made it.
Positive kaisu
Cotuit, MA (Zone 7a)
September 14, 2006
I ordered two plants in April on line. I did have to make a phone call to find out exactly when they were shipping, but the plants arrived well packaged and completely healthy. I do love their website. It has a wealth of info on it, and their selection of plants seems to be quite broad.
Negative babyjane
Vancouver, WA
September 14, 2006
I ordered two Betty Corning clematis and the plants arrived in April. They were very small, but I figured they would grow and be worth the price I paid. One of the plants had a bloom in July and it did not look at all like the picture of the Betty Corning bloom. I sent a letter with a picture of the bloom, to the company. I received an e-mail that said my bloom was the bloom of a pink turtlehead (Chelone) and that it could not have been sent by them, as they do not even have this type of plant in their garden. These were the only plants I ordered from anyone this year, and these Chelone plants were sent to me by completely clematis instead of the Betty Corning clematis. Of this I am positive and truthful. I sent an e-mail asking for them to make it right and they have not answered. I would not recommend this company.
Negative capegarden
Boston, MA
July 16, 2006
This past winter I placed two seperate ordes to Completely Clematis of several plants and received no acknowledgement. However, I have used CC several times in the past and have had great luck with their plants and have found the website to be very helpful so I was not concerned. This Spring however, I found things to be quite different. I had ordered many plants from various vendors around the country this year and had received all orders except the CC orders (CC is actually local to me in Massachusetts). I emailed a couple of times inquiring about the status of the order and heard nothing back. I finally picked up the phone and called. The first time I left a message and received no return phone call. The second time I called again, and actually got someone on the line. I had my order numbers, etc ready, and the person whom I spoke to acted as if she didn't know what I was talking about (despite my several emails, and phone inquiries). She indicated that she would work on getting them out, but could give no real specifics. When I received the order, the plants seemed very small for the price. Since then, one has died. CC charges a premium for their plants, which I have never minded paying in the past given the past quality of the plants/website . However, given the service that I received this year, I will not order from them again.
Positive Twonewfs
Belgium, WI (Zone 5a)
May 2, 2006
I have ordered three clematis over the past three years from this company. One is on its way now. The other two are absolutely thriving and are what I would consider the show pieces of my garden, even though I've only had them for one and two years each. Yes, you pay a little more but it is worth every single penny for such healthy plants and friendly people. I will never buy a clematis from anywhere else again.
On May 24th, 2007, Twonewfs added the following:

Just wanted to update this for this year. I ordered two clematis. They helped me choose one via e-mail. That one is smaller than I have received in the past from them so I'm a tad disappointed. The other (a large size according to their rankings) looks wonderfully healthy and has a number of large buds on it. However, it's the same variety I ordered from another clematis provider and I would say they are of equal quality, yet I paid twice as much for the one from CC. Time will tell how they grow out in comparison.

This nursery is not good at communication, there's no doubt about it. But, as they explain on their web site, they are a working nursery and I guess I'd rather have people taking care of growing great plants than emailing me frequent updates. Still a shipping date would be nice (although they've always shipped when I've requested).

They have a number of unusual varieties so I still think they are a good company for those types of Clematis. But for the more standard types, I think their prices are a bit on the high side. Still, I'm sure I'll order from them again.
Neutral irishbelle
Orange County, NY (Zone 5b)
January 2, 2006
First the positives: The website is excellent and full of information, the listed selection is amazing, the staff are friendly and really try to be helpful.

Unfortunately, my experience also had a few negatives. My first order was placed on line, and I was never notified that the plants I ordered were not in stock -- though I was told, after contacting CC, they would be available in about 4 weeks. As the weather was getting too hot, I decided to cancel the order. I later placed a new (much larger) order for different plants. I also had to call about this order several times. When I received the order, several of the plants which were supposed to be medium were definately not, though the roots were healthy. To be fair, the roots were health on all of the plants. Two of the plants were infested with spider mites and had very few healthy leaves left. I'll never know how customer service would have behaved as it was late in the season. With so much going on, I treated what I could and planted. We'll see how it goes this year.
Positive katiemedarlin
Abingdon, MD (Zone 7a)
January 18, 2005
I ordered two clematis of one variety from Clematis Specialty. Got them in good time and was pleased with the quality and size of the plants. After growing for the better part of a season, it became apparent that the two plants were not identical species. I called and spoke to a representative of the company. She was very nice and even though it was late in the season, she said they would send me a replacement for the incorrect plant. As it was so late in the season, she told me to keep the other plant and use it elsewhere in my garden. My replacement came very quickly. I have been very satisfied and will use this company again.
Positive msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
June 17, 2004
Placed an order for 2 clematis... Order total was $48.00... couldn't deal with that price and called later to cancel - had no problem cancelling...

Will order from again if it is something I can't get elsewhere

DECOBUG
Positive revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO (Zone 5b)
May 25, 2004
I'm totally pleased with this company. I ordered a Westerplatte in late April and received it a couple of days ago, a little worse for wear, but with good roots. I planted it today and am looking forward to my first bloom before the end of the summer. Next year it should do very well.

There is more clematis information on this site than on many clematis sites. The vines come in three sizes, small, medium and large.

The site offers articles that can be downloaded, including a PDF catalog without pictures.
Neutral nursechris
East Greenbush, NY
October 13, 2003
Ordered 2 plants. They arrived well packed and healthy looking but seemed very small for the price. They were both size medium. Might look elsewhere next time. They do have a large selection and emails were answered quickly . Company was easy to deal with. Just seemed pricey for what you get. I ordered Josephine and Betty Corning.
Neutral newc
June 5, 2003
I recently ordered 2 clematis, pink fantasy and vyvann pennell. they arrived very fast. i live in ma. so it's not that far away but i was still impressed with the service. the clematis look very healthy and have been planted out. i was kinda confused as to the pricing as i thought they would be 15.00 each and the invoice said 20.00 each. also the pink fantasy was in a much smaller pot than the vyvyann pennell. the total for the order was 50.00. which included shipping and tax. i think thats a little pricey for 2 plants but if you can't find the variety your looking for locally sometimes you have to pay a little extra. i don't think i'll order again unless i just have to have a certain variety they carry and can't find it anywhere else.
Positive Pittfarm
Sandy Hook, CT
May 12, 2003
I ordered two clematis from Completely Clematis and have been very pleased. They are growing into their second year and thriving. I was very pleased with the customer service given to me as it took a bit of time to find the variety correct for my zone/soil. I recommend this nursery for many Clematis varieties.

Wendy
Positive Lizzytish
Wareham, MA (Zone 7a)
March 15, 2003
I went to visit this company last summer at the end of the growing season after reading about them on another web site.I have just recently become infatuated with clematis and have had some luck with a few verities, but needed some guidence.
The woman who owns this nursery was very helpful and she had about anything you could want in clematis vines, and bush types as well. I made a rather large purchase and was given the gift of a bush verity to try in my garden as I was not aware there were bush verieties. She instructed me on the method of planting and I went happily on my way.
I will reserve judgement on the health of the plants until the spring thaw, but everything that I planted was healthy and robust during the fall growing season.

On May 26th, 2003, Lizzytish added the following:

As our very cold and wet spring weather keeps the plants from thriving and getting out of their dormant state these wonderful clematis that I bought last fall are all doing just fine and have far more growth on them than any I have had before in the first year.
So I am still quite happy with this company and will probably go back when the majority are in bloom.
Positive stevenw
January 15, 2003
Found them last year. I called for advice and they were extremely helpful (I was on the phone for 30 min +) placed an order and received my plants. All were healthy upon arrival. One got "wilt" (which they explained to me was a fungus when I called to explain what was going on) but came back later in the summer as they promised. I'm ordering from them again this year. Can't wait to plant!! I highly recommend them.
Positive carolcohen
May 1, 1999
I've ordered some clematis from them that are not available in local general garden centers. The care instructions in the catalogue are somewhat bullying but for good reason: the plants were young and came in tiny (2" x 1", I think) containers. They needed to be babied the first summer, sprayed with fungicide every 10 days, then planted in their permanent locations in autumn. Five out of six survived. If you are looking for unusual or hard-to-find clematis, this nursery is a good choice. For a popular kind (such as sweet autumn) you might be better off buying it locally.
Neutral silverman
October 1, 1998
I really wanted a nice specimen of Sweet Autumn Clematis and was not having luck finding it locally. I saw the company, Completely Clematis, advertised in a gardening magazine and mentioned as being expensive but okay on some online page regarding clematis. I called the company and was told their four year specimens would be available the next week. So I called the following week and was told they were expected the following Tuesday. I placed my order for a 4-year old Sweet Autumn, which was $24. I was told they had a $30 minimum so I first suggested a second Sweet Autumn but was told that the first would be huge and the second was too much. I ordered a different variety and looked forward to my order. In the interim I found a local nursery with decent Clematis and bought a Sweet Autumn for a friend of mine for $15. When my order arrived, the second clematis was of decent size, but the sweet autumn looked like it had just been rooted. The entire root ball didn't fill a 4-inch pot, when I removed it from the 2-gallon pot it was shipped in. The plant was 1/4 the size of the one I had purchased for my friend. To be fair, when they received my two page not polite letter, they called immediately and suggested I return the plant for a full credit, including shipping, but there was nothing in the way of "Gee, I'm so sorry you weren't happy" - or, we ran out of 4 year so we took the liberty…" or any note of apology.I sent the plants back and the local nursery had a 20% off sale so I got my sweet autumn for $12!
Neutral macyszyn
November 1, 1997
I got their catalog today. No pictures, but there must be 100 clematis listed. They give a description of every plant, bloom time and color. Also tells pruning method.