The scoop on 'Keith Keppel'

Keith Keppel

Salem, Oregon 97305 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $2 (refundable w/order)

Comments:

Positive kaydiehl
Pasadena, CA
July 29, 2012
There are not enough good things to be said about both Mr. Keppel and his irises. When the box first arrived, I was suspicious, because it was so heavy. My order was not that large. Were there rocks in there, or what??
Inside there were no rocks, but instead the most humongous rhizomes I'd ever seen, including a very generous number of freebies from some of his most recent collections. Could not be more pleased.
Positive clematisdave
Pylesville, MD
July 19, 2012
Posted on August 22, 2011, updated July 19, 2012
What a treat to open a box of plants from Mr. Keppel. I was over a good friends house to watch her open one up and man what an order. And then it was my turn and even though it was a smaller order this irisarian is most generous. Thanks Mr. K
On July 19th, 2012, clematisdave added the following:

Just received my 2012 order. I really wish something could be said to match how generous Mr. Keppels extras are in his shipments. These are off the chart GREAT! Thanks for the double copy of Oreo Keith. These will truely light up the new iris row next May. WOW!
Positive tveguy
Janesville, WI
July 14, 2011
I have ordered from Keith Keppel's Irises the past two summers, and eagerly await the arrival of this year's order. I'm always surprised by the extra bonus iris he includes. He has always communicated any issues promptly. The quality of the rhizomes has been great, and I have had good luck with them growing and surviving Wisconsin winters to bloom the next year in most cases. They are always fresh looking when they arrive, and take off growing right away. I have also found that if I have questions, he is more then willing to share his wealth of knowledge. He will continue to get my business.
Positive Terri2
Roswell, NM (Zone 7a)
August 26, 2010
Posted on October 5, 2003, updated August 26, 2010
WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!! Super large rhizomes and healthy,
he sent sssoooooo many extras (newer intros) I will ALWAYS order from Keith Keppel.

Terri
On August 26th, 2006, Terri2 added the following:

I wrote Mr.Keppel late this season to make sure the ones I wanted were still available,He informed me,Yes, as long as I did not smaller than normal rhizomes, I didn't. when the box of Iris arrived, I danced a jig,,small rhizomes? I think not!! his small iris are larger than most others..And what a NICE guy!!
I ordered 11 iris ,,he sent so many bonus's..I had to dance another jig!!:)needless to say I am anxiously awaiting next years catalog so I can order more...THANKS

Terri
On August 26th, 2010, Terri2 added the following:

Recieved my order ,as always the iris were huge, healthy, and the extras he sends are wonderful and so many of them.
I do not think it is possible for him to grow a bad iris.Happy ,happy happy, looking forward to next years catalog.Thanks Mr. Keppel,
Sincerely, Terri
Positive moored
Spokane, WA
January 16, 2009
Too many times, small iris businesses have such inferior plants and poor customer service as to discourage people from growing irises at all. The opposite is true of Keith Keppel's operation. From the catalog request to the unpacking of his perfect iris plants, I am always totally satisfied with every element of Keith Keppel's operation. Over the 20 years I have been buying and growing irises, his name would always top my list as my favorite hybridizer. Over that time, I was amazed to find that he also had time to run an iris retail business. Every time I purchase irises from him, he exemplifies what all small iris growers should follow; consistent and excellent customer service and iris plants. Keith, I can't wait until July!
Positive Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA (Zone 6a)
September 3, 2008
Fantastic !
good communication
delivered exactly when promised
beautiful rhyzomes
great bonuses

Can't wait till next year !!!
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
September 1, 2008
I have done business with Mr. Keppel for a couple of years. I love the new iris that he offers.
Positive Cheesy
West Bend, WI
July 31, 2008
Top marks for this garden. Keith sends top quality irises, bursting with increases, when they are promised, for excellent prices. Very generous gifts and the customer service is flawless. I had ordered a few years ago and always received great stuff so this was no big surprise. Love his descriptive catalogs, he always makes me smile. He includes pedigree info too which is fascinating even if you're not necessarily into hybridizing.

His list is shorter than it used to be but everything in there on offer is fabulous. Primarily his own intros with some select others.

Visited his place twice in the last 8 years and it's a wonderland of beautiful blooms. The irises he hybridizes are magnificent and it's a great place to see and appreciate them in person along with Barry Blyth's irises, from Australia.

Keith, well, he's REALLY nice too. ;-)
Positive bonjon
Raleigh, NC
May 15, 2008
Keith Keppel was unbelieveably kind for a year of contacts prior to my first order last year. He sent a prior year's catalogue for free, answered numerous questions with good detail and humor, and was incredibly gracious when my outgoing mail lost his order. He filled what he could, specifying they might be undersized. The order came in ten days, and OH MY the bonuses! Lots of long fat roots, and HUGE rhizomes. I'd let him know which I was chosing between, and most bonuses were the almost chosen.

Last May I had an opportunity to visit. oh WOW - I had to invent an entire new iris rating system. Reclassified MUST HAVE to MUST HAVE +, ++, +++, and ++++.

I will be ordering EVERY year! Worth twice every penny. He only carries his own new intros and select Barry Blyth new intros.

And they are like bloomin' fools in my garden - every one so far has bloomed and increased.
Positive flowrgirl1
Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
March 7, 2008
I have not yet ordered from keith keppel but i have spoken with him via email. He was full of kindness and willingness to help an aspiring hybridizer such as myself. I do plan to order this year for the first time and I know it will be a great experience.
Positive tj0504
Saint Louis, MO
September 2, 2007
This was my first year ordering from Keith, and it was an excellent experience. My rhizomes arrived at the requested time, and they were large and healthy, several with doubles. There were many bonus iris included in the order. There were no outages.

Soon after I ordered, my computer went down and among the info lost, was his order. He sent me another copy, without any fuss, and with some humor.

Great experience overall. I will order from him again.

Positive pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a)
July 31, 2007
I just received my first order from Keith Keppel. I was astounded by the size and quality of the rhizomes he sent me and the extras he gave me including one of this year's into's. Not only are his iris stunning, but he sends excellent quality.
On August 21st, 2007, pajaritomt added the following:

Ordered from Keith Keppel for the first time this year and was I ever impressed! Rhizomes, all the results of his hybridizing, were huge. Order arrived promptly with generous bonuses. Keppel's irises are magnificent and his business runs as smoothly as silk through the fingers.
Betty Gunther
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
July 18, 2006
Absolutely wonderful place for top quality iris. The iris were large,freshly dug,clean and shipped quickly by priority mail.The root system on these were the best I've ever seen, and Keith answered email questions very quickly. I also recieved fantastic bonuses that were on my wish list.Would love to purchase from them on a yearly basis, and recomend this company to all.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
August 11, 2005
I will always place an order with Keith Keppel. As if the large, fresh rhizomes and great packing weren't enough...he sent me two 2005 intros and four 2004 intros as bonuses! WOW!!!!!
Positive cls009
July 8, 2005
I placed a rather large order this year and it was shipped right on time, with huge rhizomes and many bonuses...most were his last years intros. Will definately order from him again!
Positive tazzy
Sand Springs, OK (Zone 7a)
January 10, 2005
always large iris with lots of increases and good packing and shipping >A+ 20 years of good service to me .
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
December 7, 2004
I've ordered from Keith Keppel for a number of years now. His iris are always fresh, large, correctly named, and he sends very nice bonuses with his order. I also like how he responds quickly to E-mail questions. Highly recommended.
Positive irises4you4ever
April 7, 2003
Keith ships HUGE top quality rhizomes. He gives generous extras and is an extremely ethical hybridizer. You can't go wrong ordering from him!
Positive AISMasterJudge
March 17, 2003
Keith Keppel has outstanding iris! His catalog is now limited to his own introductions.

I have been very happy with the iris received. I also know Keith to be a very nice person.