The scoop on 'Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, Inc.'

Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, Inc.

Dolgeville, New York 13329 (United States)

Comments:

Positive itsmesue
Canton, IL (Zone 5b)
August 18, 2014
Posted on April 14, 2014, updated August 18, 2014
Posted on April 12, 2014, updated April 14, 2014
My violets arrived and they are wilted, one may be dead. Soil had fallen out of all the pots and the plants themselves fell out of the pots when I removed them from the package.

I have sent an email to Lyndon Lyon and am waiting to see if I hear back from them and what they are going to do. That will help me decide if I will switch this rating to a positive or change to a negative.

But at this point I am not very happy with what I got from Lyndon Lyon.
On April 14th, 2014, itsmesue changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

ADDED TO PREVIOUS REVIEW: I was contacted this morning personally by Paul (owner of Lyndon Lyon) about the email I had sent about the violets. I sent the email on Saturday, and since they are not open on weekends, he did not receive my email until today. He immediately called about the order. He was very nice and we discussed my order and the shipment. I am more than pleased with how it was handled and am impressed with Lyndon Lyon.

I have no issues about ordering from them again, and look forward to doing so.
On August 18th, 2014, itsmesue added the following:

I wish I could do a new separate rating, because I would love to mark '' Positive'' for the order I just got.

I ordered about 10-12 violets and am absolutely thrilled with them. They arrived in excellent condition, well packed, beautiful healthy plants. Two were even blooming and another plant has bloom buds on it.

I would have no problem recommending that people buy from Lyndon Lyon.
Neutral mrsearlgrey
Summerville, PA
June 7, 2014
This is neutral but I won't order again. On April 2, I placed an order for African violet leaves and paid for the winter (express shipping) which cost $26.00. This was acknowledged on 4/8 by Paul Sorano who said that it should be shipped in about a week. On 4/23, I emailed to find out what happened, and was told that they had a lot of orders and were working through them. I called on 4/24 and finally got my "express" order shipped. They had said they could include two varieties in a previous phone call, but substituted those instead. The "express" shipping cost $26 and almost a month.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
June 2, 2013
Posted on November 20, 2008, updated June 2, 2013
I just received my first order from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouse. Wonderful. All the plants were in great shape. I will definitely order again.
On June 2nd, 2013, divvajacko added the following:

I'm still ordering from LLG. I order 2 kohleria and 1 episcia. the quality is first class. I go to their website first if I'm looking for Gesneria. Always a pleasure.
Positive leisure500
Indianapolis, IN
March 9, 2012
I've purchased several orders of African Violets from Lyndon Lyons starting in 2007.

Having now purchased from several other growers, I find Lyndon Lyons the most dependable to have ready-to-grow plants that are true to their descriptions.

I have many, many Lyndon Lyon supplied violets gracing my home and hobby room.

I'll still purchase an AV from another vendor, but I'll always check with Lyndon Lyon first.
Positive perdews
Henry, IL
September 17, 2011
lyndon_lyon has the best gesneriads available by mail. this company ships quality plants fast. highly recommended
Positive ericapayne
Bloomington, IN
January 4, 2011
Just got my order from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouse, arrived in great shape despite the cold weather.

Here is what I ordered:

Sequins 'n' Ribbons
Wrangler's Swinging Blues
Ian Minuet (Russian)
Carnation Sprinkles (Chimera)

Many of the violets were in bud/bloom and the size of the streptocarpus plants was great.

I have found that it isn't possible for me to grow the starter streptocarpus plants that are usually offered for sale on ebay as they don't make it through the summer months indoors here in Indiana even with central air conditioning. It takes a larger plant to survive for me and these should make it given their size. I have no problem with violets but prefer them as large as possible so that I don't have to wait for flowers.

The flowers are just as gorgeous in person as on the website, Carnation Sprinkles is particularly pretty and I'm delighted that everything I ordered was in stock and ready to ship.

I will not hesitate to order again and hope to snag some at the shows as well.

Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
June 27, 2008
This is my first order with Lyndon Lyon Greenhouse and won't be the last.
Got in four, healthy, nice-sized African Violets: Berry Splash, Eventing Splender, Simpler Times and Blue is Blue.
Prices are very reasonable considerinig the types of AV's and size..
AV's were well-packaged, each individually wrapped. Toni
On September 5th, 2008, Toni05 added the following:

Received two nice size, healthy Episcias. Cleopatra and Ember Lace..
Each plant was carefully wrapped, then placed in peanuts.
Fast shipping. Less than a wk after order..
Positive Keyring
DC metro, VA (Zone 7b)
May 31, 2008
Very happy customer. Just received an order of over a dozen plants. Each pot wrapped in a plastic bag with soft shredded waxy paper to cushion the plant. Most either in bloom or bud, and roots coming out of the bottom of the pot - these are not new cuttings. Note order was placed in April - just before their shipping season. I believe shipment is mostly on a first ordered, first shipped basis - I got mine about a month later, which is about what I hoped for.
Positive gessiegail
Taft, TX (Zone 9a)
July 18, 2007
What an outstanding grower and "guaranteed good plant material delivery". UPS literally baked my plants by leaving them on a truck all day when the heat index was over 106 that day. UPS denied any responsibility for perishable goods while Lyndon Lyons was so easy to work with in replacing plants. This was my first order from them and it certainly won't be my last. Thumbs up for Lyndon Lyon!!!!!!!!!!
On October 15th, 2007, gessiegail changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I sent a friend a gift of three items from Lyndon Lyons........I specifically asked them to substitute only if they could match the beauty in another begonia. My friend not only didn't get what she wanted, she received a very common Walmart rex instead of Escargot. She has only had them a week and the one begonia had but one leaf on it. She is watching it die. So, I am sending her one I picked up at Walmart which is the dying one that LL sent.
This is a big big disappointment and quite embarrassing. When I am looking for gifts, back to Brennan's I shall go.
On May 31st, 2008, gessiegail changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I must say that Lyndon Lyons is a fantastic grower. The wrong zip code was put on my package and I didn't get the package for 10 days. The eight plants look great now 3 weeks later and I didn't think it was possible. I will order from them again and again.
On July 19th, 2008, gessiegail added the following:

Plant material exceptional as always, but I just can't pay the shipping LL charges now. Although the actual costs of mailing was 14.50 for 15 plants, the shipping charges amounted to 26.00. Sadly enough I will have to find a new source for my gessies. Great company but I can't afford them.
Positive dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY (Zone 5a)
April 1, 2007
I visited this greenhouse yesterday after seeing their booth at a local garden show. I love streps and never realized that a fantastic grower was located 35 miles from my house! The streps were healthy and big for a 2" pot, the varieties were numerous and the staff very helpful.
I am not an African violet fan, but if I were I would have needed a moving van for my puchases. I have never seen so many varieties and such robust plants.
I spent over 2 hours there and plan many return trips to purchase other types of plants. I may even let an African violet slip into my basket.

On August 3rd, 2008, dbsmith2 added the following:

I went back to the greenhouse yesterday. I had fried some streps in my greenhouse and needed replacements. I bought some lovely fantasies and asked for some other unusual flowers - and the staff picked some beauties!!! I also got rexes that were very healthy, and a huge (I mean HUGE) Black Beauty rex hanging basket rex for $21. I'm going back in the spring when they have more baskets because they are well worth the money. I resisted the violets despite attempts to woo me with chimeras. If you love AVs, this is the place to buy from. And for those within driving distance, it is worth the trip.
On June 3rd, 2009, dbsmith2 added the following:

I went back over the weekend to pick up 6 rex baskets that I ordered in December. They are beautiful! Although I promised that I would not buy any more streps, 4 found their way into my order. I also purchased an orchid for the first time. I'm still resisting the violets, but if any of you are interested in the micro minis, they were fantastic. I cannot say enough about this business. His African violets are the most beautiful I have ever seen.
On July 31st, 2009, dbsmith2 added the following:

I made the trip again to buy during Paul's half price sale on streps (that I read about on DG). Bought 16 streps, all wonderful plants, and was again helped by Paul's staff. Other plants jumped into my box, columneas and sinningias, unusual and beautiful plants. I also observed the care with which the staff packed the boxes for shipment. It takes quite a while to gather plants, wrap them safely and box them. A first class operation.
Positive PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO (Zone 6a)
July 27, 2006
My experience with Lyndon Lyon has been a very positive one.

I ordered only AV's and streps. The AV's that I received were of nice size and very healthy. Most were in bud or blooming. The plants were packaged very well--only two leaves were broken.

The streps that I received would be considered huge when compared to some that I have purchased from another popular New York vendor or some e-bay sellers. One was in bloom. Again, they are all healthy and were well packaged. No leaves were broken or even bent.

Only one plant was substituted and that plant was from a list of substitutions that I provided.

Shipping was rather expensive and was the reason that I hadn't ordered from Lyndon Lyon before. However, the quality and size of the plants is well worth it and I will definitely order from them again.
On May 16th, 2007, PlantMomto3 added the following:

I just received another great order consisting of 15 AV's and 3 sets of leaves. 11 plants were loaded with blooms. Approximately 5 were chimeras in full bloom, which is nice because I know these plants are blooming true.

The plants were well-packaged, very healthy and were again nice-sized. No leaves were broken during transit.

I received 2 Bonus Plants as a result of a special and these plants were in full bloom also.

The only suggestion I would have is to notify the customer via e-mail prior to shipping. Otherwise, absolutely no complaints and I would highly recommend Lyndon Lyon.
Positive blugirl97
Jacksonville, FL
June 25, 2006
I was very happy with the African Violets that I received from this company. I placed my order before the Spring shipping had occurred, and out of six varieties that were ordered, one was out of stock when shipping occurred. They allow you to give a substitution list that they will randomly pick a plant from to substitute for the one they are out of stock on.

The little plants were packaged very well with a lot of effort placed in ensuring safe delivery.

The only thing that was a little odd was the fact that I placed my order in February, and then received no confirmation emails or further communication until my order was shipped on May 8th. I wasn't actually sure if I was even going to get the plants since I hadn't heard anything.
Positive rcn48
Lexington, VA (Zone 6a)
August 26, 2005
Found this nursery after another member posted a link in a forum. I checked out their website and was impressed with their collection of Rex Begonias, so placed an order immediately! Fast email response after placing my order on a weekend and plants were received 4 days later! Excellent quality for a 2.5" pot, well established plants. Bumped them up into a 4" pot upon arrival and a month later they have more than doubled in size! Will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
August 25, 2005
My recent order of gesneriads (non-African violet selections) arrived in good shape, packed with expert care. The plants (since transplanted) are doing well and several are in flower. I found the catalog to have interesting selections and prices are fair.

It would be helpful if the website were updated more frequently to note sold-out items (I received a refund to cover several Streptocarpus that were unavailable).
Positive rusty2004
Lodi, CA
June 8, 2005
I received beatiful plants, packed very well, their customer service
was excellent, problem with my charge @ and called me , and let me know they were shipping order.
Not my 1st order from lyons. Always happy with orders.
Positive Jillene
Lexington Park, MD
August 25, 2004
Paul Sorano has beautiful healthy plants that have grown well for me. I have enjoyed talking to him on the phone and at MAAVS.
Positive SLC
May 4, 2002
Lyndon Lyon african violets are awesome. You cannot beat them for health, size and beauty. I've ordered the same plants from other growers and was amazed by the comparison; there is no doubt Lyndon Lyon plants are superior.

Paul Sorano, owner of Lyndon Lyon, surprised and delighted me by personally answering my email questions about culture and plant pests. I wouldn't have expected that from most larger growers, but Mr. Sorano evidently believes in the personal touch.

I highly recommend their website and catalog. They offer other exotic plants and leaves besides african violets (epicias, rex begonias, lipstick plants, that sort of thing). I have total confidence in Lyndon Lyon and Paul Sorano. And NO, I am NOT related to these folks, in case you're wondering! Just very happy with them.