The scoop on 'Hidden Springs Nursery'

Hidden Springs Nursery

170 Hidden Springs Ln
Cookeville, Tennessee 38501-9178 (United States)

Phone: (931)-268-2592

Comments:

Positive RnoelR
Montgomery, TX
August 11, 2014
I bought two Paw Paw trees from Hidden Springs last winter, they came in a timely manner and the little brown twigs were well packaged and in excellent shape. I planted them according to the instructions and this spring they came out and with a little TLC they are doing great even in the heat of a Southeast Texas August.. Didn't know if Paw Paws would do here or not but wanted to try. With the help of Hidden Springs I am now the proud Pa Pa of two fine Paws Paws.
Positive ericb
Yadkinville, NC
February 6, 2013
I couldn't hardly recommend Hidden Springs more highly. I've received at least 4 orders from them over about the last 7 years. Everything has been top notch. One jujube from one order failed to grow from above the graft, and they went above and beyond my expectations in replacing that tree at no cost to me. Great selection. Great people/service. I've ordered from at least 5 other fruit nurseries, and none of them outshines Hidden Springs.
Positive Nordlaw1
Mena, AR
June 20, 2012
Ordered 2 paw paws, 2 cherries, 3 jujubes and 2 persimmons in October 2011. They were promptly shipped and though small where very healthy plants which are all doing great. They offer good plant at an excellent price. I will order from them again.
Positive Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
May 21, 2012
I purchased five grafted pawpaws from Hidden Spring nursery this year, and of the three nurseries I bought from they were the only ones that ship bare root. I was a little nervous about getting a pawpaw bare root since they have fragile root systems, but two months after planting all of the pawpaws they sent are doing well.

The trees I got were $20 (plus $4 shipping) each and were about a quarter inch in diameter. I would have been outraged if I had paid that much for apple trees of that size, but in the world of grafted pawpaws thatís a reasonable price.

The one downside to Hidden Springs Nursery I found is that their website does not appear to be updated very often and it lets you purchase things through paypal that they do not have in stock. Luckily, they are reasonably quick about letting you know if something is not available and issuing refunds.

Overall, I was pleased with Hidden Springs Nursery and would certainly order from them again in the future if I was looking for some of the more unusual fruit trees and vines they carry.
Positive 1marc1
Newbury, OH
April 15, 2012
They are a small company, but they respond very quickly to emails. They were helpful during the buying process and the medlars I bought showed up in great condition.
Positive eclectuswife
Benson, AZ
April 13, 2011
I ordered 2 Che trees, 2 Crandall currants, 2 rabbiteye blueberries, 1 Morris Burton persimmon, 1 Jonathan pawpaw, 1 Overleese pawpaw, 2 goumis, and 1 male Hardy Kiwi. Customer service was great, I had added on more plants to my original order and that was not a problem. I was informed that the Morris Burton persimmon was out of stock and I chose a Prok persimmon instead.

When I received my order, I found that instead of a Prok persimmon, I received a Prolific pawpaw accidentally. I contacted Hidden Springs about the mix up and the Prok was no longer available, so I asked to have a Morris Burton shipped to me the following spring. Instead, I got an email a few days later that they were able to find a Morris Burton in cold storage and it was being sent to me immediately! I am thrilled, as that was what I wanted originally.

At this point the male Kiwi is just beginning to leaf out, the Morris Burton is still dormant, and both the Jonathan and Prolific pawpaws are just leafing out...but the Overleese though appears to be dead. Good think I wound up with that Proliflic!!! The rest of the order is quite healthy and is leafing out dramatically.

I would definitely order from them again, all the plants arrived quickly, were well packaged and otherwise in good condition. And customer service was great.
Positive daedelus902
Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b)
May 5, 2008
I asked a couple of email questions prior to making my order and got same day response. I then ordered an LSU Gold fig for April delivery. It came in well packed with a very good root system and was very healthy. I think the fig was about 24 inches tall (but concerning figs, the height is not so important as a good root system). I was very pleased with everything about this nursery and will certainly order again from them.

Thanks Hidden Springs!
Positive rws92
New Braunfels, TX
April 23, 2008
Ordered a couple of quince, goumi, autumn olive and a few months before that a few figs. They were great about emailing me back with answers to questions I had and letting me know what other varieties of quince they had on hand (not in the online catalog) when the one I originally chose was out of stock. The plants came very well packed and in great condition. On top of that they were bigger than quoted on the site.
Positive djballington
Reidsville, NC
December 1, 2006
I can't add anything to the above positive comments--this is a very fine company!
Positive raddog
De Soto, KS
November 29, 2005
I purchased 3 melon (aka "Che") trees, a Russian persimmon, a wellington mulberry, 2 paw paws (mango and lousiana native) and 2 serviceberries from the kind ladies at Hidden Springs this fall.

The trees were awesome! In great condition, full and healthy roots, suprisingly larger trees than I'd expected, and extremely well packed.

In addition the owners were super patient with me, and let me tell you I asked question after question of them, so that was a bigger challenge to one's patience than you might normally think! They answered every question, made suggestions, and were just great to deal with.

If you try to contact them, I recommend email versus the phone. I came to the conclusion they spend most waking hours out in the nursery, and I had much better luck via email.

My experience with Hidden Springs Nursery was great. I highly recommend them to you.

- john ferguson, kansas city
Positive slubberdegulion
Roanoke, VA (Zone 7a)
November 3, 2004
I received my first order of fruit trees and bushes from Hidden Springs and I'm very impressed by the quality and size of the plants. All traveled quickly and were still moist, and the size was astonishing for the price. I had no problem ordering "the old fashion way" and they replied via E-mail very quickly. I can't wait to see my latest acquisitions in the Spring! I would recommend this nursery without hesitation, especially to anyone seeking "unusual" fruit trees like medlars, jujube, goumi, etc.
Positive forestgarden
July 1, 2004
I had a fairly large order from Hidden Springs - lots of fruit trees and bushes - 40 or so in all. We planted them and all of them are doing well (its five months now).

The communication was good via email, and the service was excellent. The owners had some good suggestions which helped a lot. The prices very reasonable. I really liked that they have a sustainability focus / organic approach toward growing trees. They have a good selection of unusual, edible, trees and shrubs.

I will be buying more next winter, and giving some gift certificates to family members for Christmas.
Positive adksam
East Berne, NY
April 24, 2004
I have several years experience ordering from these folks, and have been very happy with the quality of the plants. The packing is a little lo tech, but works. They are VERY good at fulfilling backorders - even if it is a year later and you didn't even call to remind them. I have 3 Autumn Olives about 5 years old that produce more fruit than I can eat. (It's pretty tart!) Does anyone have any recipes?
Positive Oklahawg
Collinsville, OK
March 14, 2004
Surprisingly good communication, given that this is a very busy time for the nursery trade. The plants were MUCH bigger than I anticipated and arrived safely. Good follow-up communication.

Now, if I can keep from killing them...I'll be a very satisfied customer. And if I kill them it has nothing to do with the quality of product provided!
On May 4th, 2005, Oklahawg added the following:

Ordered a second time and am even more impressed than the first. Plants (bare-root edible shrubs) were the most substantial I've ordered from ANY mail order. And, I enjoy getting to help a company with their priorities straight. They will get an order annually, just for principle, as long as the quality remains this stunning.
Positive calpsychik
Santa Cruz, CA
July 28, 2003
The owner helped me pick plants that would grow well in my area and that would give me sweet fruit. The plants arrived in a good shape and my pawpaw is doing very well. I hear that pawpaws can be difficult to transplant, but I had no problems. They have plants you can't get anywhere else and are very friendly. I very highly recommend them. The plants are grown organically and they've selected varieties that are very disease resistant.
Positive klz001
Columbia, SC
July 11, 2003
I agree with everything cathykelleher wrote. Be advised, though, that since they are small and low-tech, customer service may not be up to the level some of you expect. However, their plants are in great shape, and very reasonably priced.
Positive cathykelleher
January 17, 2003
I have ordered from this company several times. They carry a nice line of unusual edible plants and the cost is very reasonable for the size and quality of the plants. They are definitely low tech, contact is by mail or phone but they are knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.
Positive nturland
April 30, 2002
Fine. I called about availability of a medlar tree and a grape vine, and they were able to confirm they had them in stock and could ship straight away. I sent my order and a check off (they don't do credit cards) on a Thursday and received the plants by UPS the following Thursday. They were in a paper sack, so I was concerned they might have been damaged, but they were fine when I opened the sack. Good plants and very efficient service. I ordered these at the end of the shipping season when I realised Southmeadow Fruit Gardens (see their entry) would not deliver. Hidden Springs Nursery is quite good when it comes to professionalism and customer service! They have a nice list of unusual edible plants, mainly fruit and nut trees.