The scoop on 'Ison's Nursery & Vineyard'

Ison's Nursery & Vineyard

Brooks, Georgia 30205 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-733-0324

Visit Ison's Nursery & Vineyard at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative chstrcopperpot
Morehead City, NC
March 25, 2014
I bought grapes, elderberries, and on impulse a pineapple guava. I bought the pineapple guava simply because I wanted to feel like I was getting a good deal on shipping. I got the shipment and the bare root plants look like normal bare root plants, just a stick. The pineapple guava (an evergreen) had lost all of its leaves but two and was not very supple.

I tried repeatedly to call them, but got no answer or return call so I took pictures and emailed them to ask about the plant. I kept calling and eventually got through and they said that it shouldn't look like that and they'll send a replacement. Then, I get an email asking if want a refund because all the pineapple guavas were damaged by the extreme cold. I respond that I would rather have a refund than a plant next year and then they send me another plant. It gets to me and there are no leaves on it.

When I called, I was told that I should just wait and see if it leafs out and that damage in shipping is normal. This doesn't appear to be shipping damage and I paid for what I assumed would be healthy plants. I suppose I should be happy I got two for one, but I didn't order dead plants.

This makes me worried about the grapes and berries that won't leaf out for a while yet.
Neutral backyardgrowing
Littlerock, CA
February 9, 2014
Posted on July 9, 2013, updated February 10, 2014
Posted on June 16, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I ordered three table grapevines (concord, neptune and reliance). Of the three only neptune and reliance had good root systems. The concord vine was small and had a weak root system.I planted all three and 1 month later my suspicion was correct. The concord vine did not leaf out and was dry/dead. I contacted them 3 TIMES VIA e-mail with no response. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THEY HAVE NO REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
On July 9th, 2013, backyardgrowing changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Update:

They responded to my e-mail. In order to get a replacement I have to pay half of the original purchase price. They send me a dead grape vine and yet i have to pay half for a replacement. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO WITH STARKBROS.COM OR GROWORGANIC.COM
On February 9th, 2014, backyardgrowing changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Last month i received a free replacement from them. Better communication on their part would avoid bad feedback. Their prices are reasonable and one of the cheapest prices. Thank You Ison's Nursery & Vineyard.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:30 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so sorry to here of the problems you had with our nursery. I cannot explain why it took so long for you to get a response to your emails. I have several on staff whose job is to respond and address the needs of each email we receive daily. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

If any customer is not happy with the plant at the time they receive it, they have 30 days to ask for a replacement or a full refund. We do have a policy that if your plants fail to leaf out by July 1st that we will replace the following year at half price. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the care the plant receives after it is planted, the conditions in which it is planted such as soil quality nor can we guarantee the weather. We have had many customers who have planted their vines and never watered or fertilized them. For that reason, we implemented a 50% replacement policy. We are a 3rd generation family business and do our best to meet every need of our customers.

We would like to provide you with a full refund of the cost of the vine that you ordered. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us. We would also like to offer our apology for the problems you experienced with our nursery. Our customers make our business and we do all that we can to meet the needs of our customers and provide excellent quality plants for their home garden needs.

We do our best to send out the highest quality plants. Unfortunately, we cannot get up all the orders personally ourselves as owners and depend on our staff to fill orders. I sincerely regret that you received a substandard plant and will do everything possible to ensure your satisfaction. We have been in business since 1934 and pride ourselves in our longevity and quality service we provide.

Please contact us as soon as possible and allow us to take care of this for you. Sincerely, Janet Ison

Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
September 1, 2013
Posted on July 16, 2013, updated September 1, 2013
Posted on December 18, 2012, updated July 16, 2013
Posted on September 26, 2012, updated December 18, 2012
Posted on February 9, 2012, updated September 26, 2012
I have been very pleased with Ison's. I contacted Ison's both before and after placing my order. I called with general questions, once to change my order, and a couple of times to check status of the shipment. They always answered promptly and were knowledgeable about their products.

I ordered 5 varieties of blackberries, 2 blueberry bushes, 3 muscadine vines, and 3 types of trees. I received the order about a week and a half ago. For the most part, everything appears healthy and as described on their website.

I'll need to keep an eye on a couple of the blackberry plants. The Navaho had no branching and the stalk was approx. 1 inch in diameter, which seems very thick for a young plant. The Arapaho has branching and is of the correct size, but appears to have severe die back. I'll keep a close eye on both of these over the next several weeks and report back.

The remaining blackberry, blueberry, and muscadine plants all look good. The fig tree also looks nice and is much larger than I expected. The almond tree is a little shorter than described, but has very nice branching. The Jujube description indicated the tree would be 4-5' branched. The tree was of the correct height, but all limbs had been completely pruned away leaving just a long stick. However, this could be normal pruning for this type of tree.

Overall, considering the great customer service, the user friendly website, and the good condition of most of the plants, I am very satisfied. I just wish I had ordered one or two more muscadines!
On September 26th, 2012, RobThomas added the following:

I wanted to give an update since my original posting.
The three trees I ordered (jujube, almond, fig) have all done very well. The almond tree put out a lot of growth over the summer. The jujube is a slow grower, but is very healthy. The fig had die back from a late freeze, but put out new growth from the base. The blackberry plants have grown like crazy. Looking forward to fresh blackberries next year.

The only issues I've had have been with the muscadine vines. I placed two orders for a total of five vines. Sadly, only two survived. From reading reviews here and elsewhere, it seems bare root muscadines have a tendency to leaf out, but then die back to the ground. They may or may not resprout from the roots. All of mine leafed out, but on most the leaves would later turn brown and fall off. The original vines died, but a couple did sprout from the roots. I didn't ask for replacements since all the plants did leaf out before dying back.

Overall, considering the good customer service and quality plants, I still give Ison's a positive rating. I'm just not sure I'd order bare root muscadines again.
On December 18th, 2012, RobThomas added the following:

No muscadines this time, but I did order and receive two pomegranate plants. These are the hard to find cold hardy "Russian" type poms. The introductory price of $16.95 for 2' - 3' plants was very good. The actual plants were taller than advertised- 3.5' - 4' and very well branched with good roots. Very pleased when a company provides better than expected products and/or service.
On July 16th, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I sent Ison's an email in May advising that one of the two pomegranates had never leafed out, and that a scratch test showed the tree to be dead. They replied with, "Sorry, they are sold out for the season. We will send a replacement in the fall". That response was perfectly acceptable - a no hassle offer of replacement. However, nearly two months later I receive a letter in the mail stating that they will replace the tree for 1/2 cost plus shipping. If that is their standard policy then fine, but that wasn't the offer I received via email. They can offer any guarantee they want, but to make one offer of unconditional replacement, then renege on that offer later is unacceptable and goes against any standard of customer service.

I'm not one to lightly rate a company below "positive", and of my multiple company ratings, Ison's is the only to ever get anything less than positive. But, considering that three of five muscadines died back to the ground (which I never asked them to replace), one of two pomegranates were dead, and the renege on the offer of replacement, I think a rating of "neutral" is more than generous.
On September 1st, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I've just recently read Ison's response to my review. I appreciate that they have reached out, and I do believe they truly value customer service. I haven't contacted Ison's yet, but am changing my rating back to positive based on their efforts to make things right.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

In regard to your posting, I wanted to respond and offer my services in ensuring your satisfaction with our nursery! I apologize for the misunderstanding as far as our replacement policy. We will be happy to replace your pomegranate tree at no costs to you.

Our replacement policy is posted in our catalog as well as our website. We try to make sure it is accessible to our customers. I do agree that the email you received was misleading and not clear and for that I am very sorry!

We want to ensure your satisfaction and that you have quality plants from our nursery. Please allow us to replace the muscadines you lost as well as the pomegranates that did not leaf out. We have been shipping bareroot plants since 1970 and have not had any problems with these types of plants. We actually plant bareroot vines in our vineyards and have great success with these vines. There are many factors that can affect the reason your vines died back. For that reason, it is not always possible to determine the exact cause.

Please contact us immediately and give your information so we can get your plants replaced this coming shipping season. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will do all that we can to ensure your planting success!

Thank You! Janet Ison

Negative pecantreesucker
Houston, TX
August 8, 2013
POEPLE,RUN,RUN,RUN,FROM ISON'S. IF YOU LIKE MAKING THIS COMPANY MONEY BUY PURCHASING THEIR DEAD PLANTS AND TREES THEN YOU GOT THE RIGHT PLACE. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WOULD SEND OUT A PECAN TREE WITHOUT ANY SIGNS OF GROWTH, YES JUST A 3 FT STICK, AND THEN WANT ANOTHER 50% TO SEND ANOTHER TREE OUT. NOT ME SUCKER, STIFF ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU,STIFF ME TWICE SHAME ON ME. CUSTOMER BEWARE THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW GREAT THEY ARE BUT YOU ARE ROLLING THE DICE,GOOD LUCK

On Aug 13, 2013 4:11 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I would like to sincerely apologize for the poor service you have received from our nursery. We strive to provide the highest quality trees and service to our customer. Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes do happen. We would never intentionally send out a tree that is not alive and/or in poor condition. Unfortunately, we as owners cannot fill every order ourselves and depend on our staff. Sometimes they fail to provide our customers with the highest quality possible. We will continue to work on ensuring that does not happen again.

We will be more than happy to send you a full refund for the pecan tree you ordered from us. We do have a policy that if you receive a tree from us and are not happy with it when you receive you, that you have 30 days to let us know and we will issue a full refund. If you plant it and it fails to leaf out by July 1st we will replace at half price the following year. I am so sorry that we disappointed you in our business. We are a 3rd generation family business and provide ourselves in offering our customers the best service possible.

If you could contact our office and give us the information we will immediately issure you a refund. Again, please accept my deepest apology for the poor service you received. In the future, I hope you will give us another try and you can ask for me personally. Just ask for Janet Ison.

Negative imaginefarm
Perry, GA
July 5, 2013
I have ordered from Isons in the past and been very pleased. I tried to order from them in the spring of 2013. I called, I sent emails, no contact. I was trying to spend money and they would not return phone calls. Very poor customer service.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:46 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so sorry with the difficulty you received trying to contact our nursery. We begin our potting season in the Spring of 2013 and have a smaller staff in our office. We have had issues with our email provided and have since resolved these problems. Our customers are very important to us and are the sole reason our business is successful!

Please allow us in the future to assist you. My name is Janet and I am one of the owners here. We will be fully staffed back in the office in September and we are currently answering our emails daily. We will begin our shipping season in early November.

We have been in business since 1934 and we are a 3rd generation family business. My grandfather started our business on a small scale growing muscadine vines. We have since added products and grown to what we are now.

Again, I am very sorry for the difficulties you had with contacting our nursery! I hope you will give us a call again and feel free to ask for me personally!

Sincerley, Janet Ison

Positive grablejc
Roanoke, IN
April 30, 2013
I ordered a bunch of Gooseberry, Currant, and Elderberry plants (36 in all) in February 2013. Plants shipped in early March and since it was still cold in Northern Indiana, I heeled them into a couple of pots in the garage.

Most all of the plants are now planted outside and are leafing and budding like crazy. A couple of the currant plants didn't look well but I believe they recognized that because there were a few extra. The plants had huge root systems.

I am very pleased and have added them as a favorite. Will buy from again.
Positive BecwarGardeners
Manvel, TX
April 1, 2013
We ordered 2 muscadines almost two years ago now. We actually ended up receiving one that was mislabeled and then a replacement. So... three grapevines total in the end. All three are THRIVING! We are anticipating a great little harvest of grapes (can already see tons of little ones) this year. As a result, we are EAGERLY awaiting our latest order of a Persimmon, a Pineapple Guava, a Fig, a Goji Berry and ANOTHER grape! We love their service, and their products thus far. We have already recommended highly to friends!
Neutral NicoleC
Madison, AL (Zone 7b)
March 28, 2013
Posted on March 15, 2013, updated March 28, 2013
My favorite regional walk-in/mail-order nursery did not have the bare root strawberry variety I wanted this year, so I tried another regional nursery: Ison's. The Chandler strawberries I ordered in early February arrived in late February but appeared to be nearly dead; roots dried out and the stubs of leaves rotting. Nothing like the last two times I received bareroot strawberry shipments. I hoped they were dormant, even though Ison's is in a warmer climate than mine and my other Chandler strawberries were already blooming. Strawberries are quite tough, so I planted them in the bed that had been prepared for them and waited. 3 weeks later, only 14 of the 25 plants show signs of life. Meanwhile, some extra plants I moved from my other bed are growing vigorously in the same spot.

To be fair, I did not contact the company to express my disappointment, so I don't know if they would have shipped me new plants. If these are the caliber of plants they are shipping, I don't want a replacement -- these plants will not possibly produce any fruit this year.
On March 28th, 2013, NicoleC changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

March 28: I received a surprise box in the mail today. It seems Ison's saw my negative review, figured out which one was my order and sent me an entirely new order with an apologetic note. The new shipment certainly looks much better than the last -- firm healthy roots, no smell of rot and signs of top growth.

I am upgrading my new to "Neutral," because I feel Ison's is going above and beyond trying to make their customers happy.
Positive samantha78
Austin, TX
January 19, 2013
Recently placed an order with Ison's and I was very pleased with their service and products. Shipping was fast too. I'm looking forward to planting my new fruit trees and blueberries.
Positive Grapes2Grapes
Mint Hill, NC
January 19, 2013
Highly recommend this company. We have been doing busines with Isons Nursery since the early 1990's. We have ordered plants that were shipped to our farm many times and have also had the pleasure of visiting the nursery and meeting the Ison's. Bill Ison even gave us a tour of his vineyards during harvest season many years ago. It is good to know that there are still some family farms around. Greg Ison has spent a lot of time with us over the years answering questions and offering much needed advice. Always pleased with the outstanding plants and service. Also want to thank Ms Kim for good service. I like buying from the grower. A+
Negative lexus2004
Oxford, NC
January 7, 2013
I placed an order 11/21/12. Order was never shipped. Finally filed dispute with Pay Pal. Received refund for order on 1/7 13 no explanation I never got the plants that wanted. WHAT A SHAME!
Positive TRHoffman
Lugoff, SC
November 2, 2012
Quick shipping and what appear to be good, healthy strawberry plants. I ordered 50 strawberry plugs this fall and received them in 48 hours. Prices were reasonable - or at least in line with what I could find from other growers on-line. Overall, a good transation and I will consider buying from them again.
Positive GNgoDDS
White Oak, MD
September 13, 2012
Posted on August 23, 2012, updated September 13, 2012
Posted on July 29, 2012, updated August 23, 2012
I had ordered 6 muscadine grapevines from them. The grapevines arrived but one did not sprout at all. I notified them and they said they would put me on the list for a new order the next planting season. Within a week, two more plants croaked after barely sprouting buds. In my 2nd notification to them by email, I got no response. This is the first mail-order company I have ordered plants from that has such poor customer service. It has been almost a month since my second email and I have not heard anything from them. I gave a negative rating because of the 6 plants ordered, only 3 actually survived, although I have been giving them TLC daily. I am still watering the dead ones, hoping maybe a miracle will happen and they would sprout leaves from the spot I planted (No more stem evident since they disappeared.) In fact, I had order two male plants to pollinate the four female plants. Both male plants are completely gone.
On August 23rd, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Recently, Ison's nursery contacted me my email. They explained that they had cut down their staffs during summer months. Anyways, they just sent me the replacement grapevines which I immediately replaced. The leaves did not survive the transport but the vines look green and viable. I will give them sometime to recover from the transport shock. I will update in a later time.
On September 13th, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

It is now mid September and all the plants shipped or reshipped have turned out very healthy. Thank you Ison.
Negative zyphia
May 13, 2012
Posted on May 13, 2012, updated May 13, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2010, updated May 13, 2012
I ordered nearly $200 worth of 5-6' peach trees (4 Saturn peach trees) from them and received 3-4 ' single "twigs" and 2 of them were dead. I emailed them and it took more than 2 emails to get their attention and when the raplacements arrived they were apparently the 5-6' original ones that should have been sent in the first place but they too were DEAD. They were ordered in late fall 2009 and the replacements were just sent in March 2010 and I am still waiting to hear from Ison's about a replacement or refund. My husband said it looks like I can kiss that money goodbye and maybe it is an expensive lesson I have learned. I will NEVER order any plants via mail order again and will warn others about this. I live in Georgia and ordered from Ison's because I wanted to make sure the trees would grow here. My experience was VERY VERY NEGATIVE.
On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following:

Here it is, 2 years later and guess what......the trees have begun to produce fruit and THEY ARE NOT EVEN SATURN PEACHES!!!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT....they are not even what I paid for and emailed the company about and finally got replacements for...sigh sigh..you would think I had learned my lesson, huh? But nooooo....stupid me. Now I have another email fired off to them to see what their excuse is going to be. I bet they will say "but you are mistaken, we never sold the Saturn peach"...haha..but little do they know I kept meticulous records of every purchase. I canot believe they not only sent me twigs the first time and the second time they sent me the wrong tree. I wonder if they duped other customers too. Stay tuned. If they do not make this right I am contacting the Better Business Bureau. I noticed Greg Ison made a comment someplace in another post about making my problem *right*..let's see what he does about this one and my fake peach trees.
On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following:

Company representative comment on May 16, 2012:
On May 16, 2012 3:38 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

We never want to have a disappointed customer! And it has always been our policy to do everything possible to make it right if a customer is not satisfied or if there is an error in an order.

We are a third generation family owned nursery and grower. We take pride in the plants that we grow and the value and service that we offer. We have also worked hard and are proud of our At rating with the Better Business Bureau.

We are saddened to see Ms Widenerís post and that she was disappointed with her plants. We contacted her long ago to address her concerns. Her original order was dated 10/24/2009 for Galaxy Peach Trees in the amount of $130.75.

When she contacted us originally about her order and told us she was not satisfied we reshipped the order, plus we issued her a full refund. And as a gesture of good will we also included a $100 gift certificate that she could use on anything she wanted. She redeemed the gift certificate for kiwi plants and an instant orchard pear tree that were shipped in the winter of 2010/2011.

We called her once again today as a sign of good will and concern for one of our customers after seeing her post.

We truly do care and strive to be the best mail order nursery in the country.

Positive BeulahRanch
Siguatepeque
Honduras
February 11, 2012
I would highly recommend Ison's Nursery. I have been dealing with them for the past 25 years and have been well satisfied with their plants and service. I bought a lot from them while living in MS and also since living in Honduras.

On February 6, 2012 I again called them to place an order for some berry plants a wanted to try down here. I asked if there was any way they could send them out the same day or Tuesday so that I would have them in time to bring them down with some other plants I am planning to bring. She said she would make sure they go out on Monday. On Wednesday the 8th (2 days after ordering) we received the plants in MS in good condition. I couldnít wish for a more accommodating company.
Positive stdno2man
Stone Mountain, GA
January 30, 2012
I have a 4 acre fruit tree and nut orchard. I ordered approximately $500 back in October 2011. Each time I called I received good customer service and was told when the trees would be available. In Jan it was very warm so I decided rather than wait I would drive the 100 miles down to pick up the trees. I called first and they said my order would be ready. When I got there they got everything together for me. The trees were in outstanding condition. Moreover I enjoyed speaking with the male who I think owns the place. He was very helpful and very friendly. I ended up purchasing and additional $400 worth of trees. I normally only purchase trees through Johnson Nursery in Ellijay whom I am very fond of and very pleased with. However since this nursery is closer I will definitely be doing my business here.
Positive jimfrankmartin
Scott, LA
January 26, 2012
In early January 2012 I ordered one seedless Concord grape, one Ison black self fertile muscadine, one Tiftblue and one other blueberry from Ison's. The plants arrived healthy, clean and correctly and clearly labeled. The growth on each
plant was vigorous and impressive. The root systems on each plant were breathtaking. I wonder how such a thick, dense substantial root system could grow so quickly on plants so small and young. These folks clearly know how to develop roots in the young nursery stock they sell. I found myself impressed that they included separate planting instructions for each species of plant. I will later this year post a progress report on the growth of these clearly superior plants from a conscientious and highly professional firm.
Positive rich1955
Buna, TX
January 25, 2012
Made an order online one night....the next morn called and made some changes, after I hung the phone...I thought... that was to easy, and expected some glich in my received order....you know what I'm talking about. " Didn't happen ". They were willing, friendly, fast, an efficient.....and the packaging was excellant, no skimp, you can tell they are in it to do a good job. My compliments.
Positive patrickb
Atlanta, GA
January 22, 2012
My wife and I made our first trip to Ison's this past Saturday. We purchased two "instant orchard" apple trees, a couple blueberry bushes, three raspberry bushes, and a bundle of 25 strawberry plugs. We live in Atlanta and did some research on the internet for fruit nurseries within an hours drive. I found an article about the Georgia Organics fruit tree sale in 2010 and figured if Georgia Organics sold Ison's trees they would probably be a good choice. Our experience was fantastic. I had ordered the trees earlier in the year (10% discount for early orders - I think it was October), and they called me this past week to let me know everything was ready to be picked up. When we arrived the staff was very friendly. They helped load everything in our car, gave us information about the plants, and applied the 10% discount to a number of other plants that we added on to our order. The woman that rung us up also gave us a free pack of Tree Saver because she forgot to add it to our order. All of the plants look healthy and very much alive. There were a few broken limbs on the apple trees, but they had to be pruned anyway. Obviously I can't comment on plants that are shipped through the mail, but if you live in Atlanta and don't mind a short road trip south (near Peachtree City) this is a great place to get fruit trees, fruit bushes, etc.
Positive ruthie20111
Menlo, GA
March 29, 2011
I have never had a problem with Ison, great plants, so I have to give Ison a AAA plus, you don't get that service just anywhere.
Positive gopals
Sidney, TX
March 25, 2011
Very good experiences with this company so far. Their variety selection for the South East and Deep South is excellent. All the trees and vines I've ordered have been robust with excellent root systems and healthy stems. Everything seems solid. Pretty good prices and the trees got here fast. Very highly recommended.
Positive mar9lina
Panama City, FL
January 7, 2011
I recently received an order from Ison's for Blackberries, Raspberries, and a 2 year plus Muscadine. The Blackberries and Raspberries were in good shape and had a few extras of each. The Muscadine seemed to be in good shape but much smaller than advertised. I contacted them to let them know. They immediately (within days over Christmas Holidays) shipped me a new much bigger vine and told me I could keep the smaller one as well. I am very satisfied with Ison's and will definitely order from them again.
Negative sssperry
Marietta, NC
January 1, 2011
Been gardening 40 years. Isons the worst experience ever. Last year ordered 5 trees, 6 bushes, 2 goji plants. Really wanted goji plants which is why I ordered from them. After many calls looking for my order & getting a different excuse each time, the order came
minus the goji plants although order indicated they were there. After calling was told Sorry, we didn't have any (but they did charge me for them) We called them a few months later to let them know that only one tree grew, everything else was dead. They promised to make it good this season, but have not done so. In forty years, we have had one or two items fail during that time, but never an entire order.
Positive acamp
Harrison, TN
December 30, 2010
Posted on December 30, 2010, updated December 30, 2010
Had two recent orders, one for muscadines and one for blueberries. Received promptly, excellent plants and root systems. Would recommend ordering from Ison's Nursery, a good family business.
On December 30th, 2010, acamp changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Neutral Stu77047
Houston, TX
October 27, 2010
Posted on October 25, 2010, updated October 27, 2010
January 2009 I ordered two vines from Ison's order number #101686 in case anyone from Ison's reads this. I ordered one Nesbit and One Fry Seedless. I get them and plant them as directed even though one appears dead and dry.

After one grows for about a month, I call to get a new Fry Seedless sent out, because that is the one that was dead and dry. After trying about 10 times to get a hold of someone, I finally do. Don't expect a callback. Leaving messages is useless. They send out a replacement. I let it go as bad customer service.

About June of 2009 the dead vine shoots up a sprout. So I guess it all worked out for the best right. Well this year I get grapes from my vines. Vine one - supposed to be a Nesbit (Black grape) is a white grape that is aweful tasting. Vine two and three- supposed to be fry seedless (red grape without seeds) turns out to both be late fry from what I can tell, not a bad grape but not even close to what I ordered. Late fry is a bronze grape with seeds.

Last week I rip out the vines and order some new ones. I did not realize it until I got the conformation email today that I had ordered from the same people. I cancelled that order and decided to write a review of my experience.

Overall they have bad customer service and do not ship what you order. Overall I get the feeling that they just do not care.
On October 27th, 2010, Stu77047 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am changing my rating to neutral, because I received a call from Ison's and I felt like they genuinely want to make my order right. I will update as things progress.
Positive Malatchie
Newnan, GA
October 12, 2010
One of my favorite nursery companies!! Three generations of my family have been buying from them (father Bill and now his children!)
They have been exceptionally honest and true to their products. I have purchased fruit trees (apple, cherry, fig, crab apple) for over 20 years and have always been treated fairly. Their specialty of course is muscadines and that is where their knowledge and vines really excel. I have not had any experience with their shipping, as I always pick up at the nursery since I drive past it almost weekly. They have been very willing to leave products for my pick up after hours and that has really helped my weekend gardening projects. The Sugargate, Supreme, Black Beauty, and Darlene varieties are my favorites and the vines I have purchased have exceeded any I have seen for sale anywhere else!!
Edward
Negative reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
May 24, 2010
Posted on May 25, 2010, updated May 25, 2010
Posted on May 25, 2010, updated May 25, 2010
I ordered (2) Muscadine Grape Vines and received them in January. Both were in poor condition but one did grow this Spring. I've spent the past 2 weeks now trying to contact someone by telephone and emails for a replacement. They don't answer the phone (let voice mail answer it) and they haven't responded to 3 emails I've sent. It seems that once they have your money, they really don't care what happens to you or your plants. I'm very disappointed with their lack of basic customer support. Unless I hear from them soon I cannot recommend them and will not buy from them again.
On May 24th, 2010, reeve1 added the following:

I will also be reversing charges on my credit card if someone does not contact me by close of business Tuesday, May 25th. You've had 2 weeks.
On May 24th, 2010, reeve1 added the following:

Positive tgrayner
Covington, GA
May 3, 2010
I ordered 2 fig and 2 cherry trees from another supplier and have yet to receive them. I placed an order with Ison's I received an email the same day telling me my order was being processed the next day I received a tracking # for my order. I received my trees the following day and they were in the ground that evening. I ordered the trees on Tuesday and on Friday I received and planted them. AWESOME. The trees seem to be doing fine have only been in the ground 3 days.

Positive skinnejj
Bellville, TX
April 16, 2010
I was waiting to post this comment until I knew if one of the two trees I ordered was going to make it. It looks like it will, so almost all I have to say is positive. I ordered two 5-6' Jujube trees on April 2. I received three different emails from Ison's that same day confirming my order and providing me with additional information. On April 7, I received an email with a FedEx tracking number so I could track the shipment to my door. On April 9, I received my trees. At first I was pretty nervous because the box the trees arrived in was badly crushed and damaged. Opening the box, though, revealed the two trees looked like they weren't banged up too badly. One tree had several limbs that had been broken off, but the other looked fine. Both had good-looking root systems and their roots had been well wrapped in plastic with plenty of terra gel to keep them moist. One of the trees already had a few green shoots coming out. I put them both in the ground the day they were received. Yesterday, April 15, not quite a week since they went into the ground, the other tree has started putting on sprouts. Bottom line, this was a good experience. The only improvement I would request they make is in their packaging - maybe adding some paper in the box to cushion the plants in transit. Other than that, great communication, fast shipping, good price and the plants I requested... I wouldn't hesitate to order again.
Positive luxor68
Decatur, TN
March 10, 2010
My experience this year:
Muscadine - healthy, no problems
Gogiberry - VERY puny, I don't look for them to survive, but we'll see
Mulberry - very nice specimen, no complaints at all
Blackberries/Raspberries - average - not great size, but ok

Positive overall experience, but not the best I've ever seen.
Positive OrgnicHomestead
Tuckasegee, NC (Zone 6a)
February 5, 2010
I have an organic homestead in Western North Carolina. I have placed two orders with Ison's Nursery for 2010. Both orders were shipped and recieved on schedule. The grape, blackberry, and goji plants were professionally packed and properly boxed for Fed-X shipping. The grapes had extensive root systems and were of proper caliber (1/4") diameter. The goji and blackberry plants were smaller, but that is ok. The availability of the perfect plant is not always possible. I have 62 years of farming experience which includes a 500 fruit tree orchard. The plants from Ison's Nursery appear healthy and ready to grow. Your customer service on the phone was prompt and showed that your employees had great knowledge of your products.

Thank you.

Organic Gardener
Negative swedey
Winnie, TX
January 26, 2010
concerning isons nursery. they keep changing the sending date on me and the last one (today) was a week from today. the lady said they didn't get the walnut trees in because of the cold weather. Huh? seems to me warm weather might slow things down but you need cold weather for dormancy. it now remains to see what the trees look like if i get them. if they are good i'll upgrade this report. i have a heartnut and thomas black walnut in the ground since they were shipped by another nursery in dec. when i put in all my orders.
Positive gwtx2
Killen, AL
November 22, 2009
My third order from them was received this week. This one was placed several weeks ago, and I was aware that my stuff (two muscadine vines) would ship after they go dormant. Apparently, that happened sooner than I expected because the weather has been mild, and so I received them in mid November. The vines were healthy looking, with the bare roots in very good shape. No problems with them in the past. Highly recommended. Every nursery is going to goof up every now and then. Don't take a few negatives as fact that a company is bad. Read between the lines.
Positive MasterGarden55
Alexander City, AL
May 18, 2009
Very good experience.

We have been small backyard growers and satisfied customers of Ison's for many years. As we are now approaching retirement and we have a little land to play with we are launching our own fresh fruit business - beginning with an acre and will grow to include more.

This year Ison's spent a lot of time with us explaining the market and choosing the varieties that will work best for our goals. Plants arrived - packed very well - in great condition. During the intitial planting we called several times with questions and each time we were given advice and direction. The plants have all come out of dormancy and are doing well.

As we approach retirement we are looking forward to this stream of income. We highly recommend Ison's to others.
Neutral dealhound
Eagle Springs, NC
May 18, 2009
Poor (No) Service followed by Poor Customer Service. Spoke with Darlene (an owner) on the phone early in April. Discussed varieties available and placed order. Had not received order by end of April. Called and was told they could not find my order, even though they had sent me a confirmation email with order # and charged my credit card. Said they would reorder my order (except for the one item no longer available) and ship it the following Monday to receive on Wednesday. Did not receive over the next 10 days. Emailed several times to Darlene. No response. Called and spoke with customer service. Stated she could not find my order, even with order #. Order had never been placed. Now out of most of my order and rep said anything ordered now would be picked over. My vineyard will be a year later because of their incompetence and they seem to not care. Specifically asked rep to have Darlene call me or at least email me with an apology or explanation as to why this had happened and have not heard from her. Did get refund several days after my final conversation.
I beleive company fundamentally honest but ordering process and customer service is incompetent. Can't speak to the quality of their vines, as I never saw one. Have an empty vineyard to look at until this winter when I will obtain stock elsewhere. A simple apology would have gone a long way, but instead, I am left feeling as if I am totally not valued by the Ison family. Order from them at your own peril.

Tim Martin - Eagle Springs, NC
On May 25th, 2009, dealhound changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am upgrading Ison's review that I previously made to a neutral with the thought that a good experience combined with a bad experience cancel each other out. This is what happened. I posted the above review on 5/18, about two weeks since I got my refund from them. On 5/20, I received a Fedex from Ison's mailed on the 18th and with a note of apology for my experience from Greg Ison. Also included were my originally ordered grape vines - in triplicate! And at no charge. So, I am not sure, but I guess that Greg got my review from this site and did his best to rectify the problem. I very much appreciate Greg for his efforts, appreciate the vines and am happy that my vineyard will not be a year later. And Greg, if you are reading this, I am watering my vines well and thanks for fixing the problem. I will happily reorder from Ison's next year and hopefully it will all be smooth.
Negative terrawhistle
Cumming, GA
May 15, 2009
Tim Wilson, Cumming, GA:

I ordered blueberries in February. It is now May, and no plants.

When I called customer service at Ison's Nursery, the guy said the plants were mailed parcel post in February.
There's no way to prove they were ever mailed without a tracking number, so I assume that they forgot to send my plants.

The customer service guy's response to my inquiry was to tell me he had to ask one of the owners if I should get a refund.

Five days later, no call back.

I just sent another Email inquiry about my missing order.

I'm sure Ison's doesn't defraud their mail order customers purposely.
They are probably just incompetent, and customer theft is just a byproduct of that.

My expectation is that I just lost $37.50.

But the other side of the coin is that Ison's lost a repeat customer, and anyone who is near enough to hear my story will not become an Ison's customer either.

Positive GreenNhappy
Raleigh, NC
May 2, 2009
In the past year we moved and built a new house. This meant I had to re-establish our fruit orchard. We purchased $800 in fruit and berry plants from Ison's. We were well pleased with the size and quality of all of the plants recieved. They were promptly planted and now ALL have leafed out and look healthy. It looks like we will have berries in June on the Blueberries. A good experience for us, best prices we could find and the quality was great. We recommend Isons to others.
Negative Disillusioned
Ranger, GA
May 1, 2009
I purchased a number of fruit trees in January of this year. Since some were not available, I was told that these would be shipped. After calling a number of times I finally received all but two of the trees in my order. Time passed and when I finally spoke to a representative in April, she told me that these two items would not be available this year; therefore I would receive a refund. When the refund did not arrive in what I thought should be a timely manner, I telephoned and since I never spoke to a live individual, I left messages, then e-mailed. As of today, two weeks have gone by and there has been no returned call, nor e-mail other than the automatic response, and, more importantly, no refund. Maybe tomorrow?
Positive justjab
Jacksonville, NC
April 20, 2009
The two-year old muscadines I ordered actually came with well established rootballs. All are now getting leaves. Unlike those I ordered from another company which came with a few straggly roots and appear to be mostly dead twigs. More on that later. I heartily recommend Ison's.
Positive SC_weedz
Gilbert, SC
March 22, 2009
My order was shipped on time, well packed, and the plants appeared healthy. I would recommend this company.