The scoop on 'Ison's Nursery & Vineyard'

Ison's Nursery & Vineyard

Brooks, Georgia 30205 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-733-0324

Visit Ison's Nursery & Vineyard at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Threestripe
New London, NC
July 7, 2015
Posted on May 5, 2015, updated July 7, 2015
Posted on April 13, 2015, updated May 5, 2015
I bought an asian pear, fig, two grapes and an asian persimmon last spring. The persimmon and the fig never leafed out. One of the grapes died after about three months. The pear is doing well. I called to let ison that the pear anf fig did not live. I did not realize what ison return policy was. They wanted me to pay 1/2 price for replacements. After a lot of discussion they agreed to replace for free. They replacements came this winter. I planted them in large pots this time and did not leaf out again. So out of seven plants only two survived. I am not a rookie. I have a degree in horticulture and manage 20 acres of greenhouse at metrolina greenhouses. I do not recommend to buy from ison.
On May 5th, 2015, Threestripe added the following:

Sent two emails with no response but I still get ad emails from them! Do not buy from them! Very poor customer service!
On July 7th, 2015, Threestripe added the following:

I have called and emailed several times with no response. Janet, how can I contact you?
On May 13, 2015 11:38 AM, Ison\'s Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so very sorry for the bad experience you received from our business. Our guarantee is in our catalog as well as our website. We do guarantee that the plants you receive are alive upon receipt. If you are unhappy with the plants your receive you have 7 days to contact us for a full refund. We state if they fail to leaf out by July 1st we will replace the following year at half price. We take half the responsibility and let the customer take half the responsibility. With you being a grower I am sure you understand there are so many factors involved in if a plant will survive. Weather, soil conditions, quality of plants, care after planted and more. We have had many customers that put their tree or vine in the ground and never water, fertilize or care for it. There is no way we can guarantee the care the plant receives after it leaves us. I wish we could guarantee that every plant we sell will live and produce no matter what but that is impossible. Even when we plant our own plants we consider 80% livability to be a success. Sometimes you cannot determine the exact cause a plant does not survive. So we take half the responsibility.

I am sorry you did not realize this. I do not understand why your replacement plants did not survive. Our persimmons take a long time to leaf out hear and sometimes do not even leaf out until June. I am hoping your tree will still leaf out. I would like to know exactly what we sent you and to be given an opportunity to take care of your problems. Your business is very important to us. I cannot explain why you had difficult experience. As far as the emails, we have had a very limited staff in the last month and unfortunately we sometimes fail to respond to each email.

My name is Janet Ison. Please contact me as soon as you can and let me help make this right. Our customers are vital to our business and each and every one is very important to us. We will do all we can to take care of your concerns and problems. Thanks, Janet Ison
Read more: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1023/#ixzz3a2LpDHhH

Neutral Klytle
Mobile, AL
May 31, 2015
Your website redirects me to a google frame malware site when trying to search through your site. Also when I try to add ANY muscadine to my shopping cart it says you are out of stock. Are you really out of stock of every single plant??? your description states you will send out potted plants at any time of the year. I have bought from isons for many years and have always been very satisfied. i would prefer not to order from another company but it's starting to look like I will have too! It's really hard to maneuver around your website when it keeps redirecting me!
Negative jensjo
Spring, TX
May 16, 2015
Please note this is not a review on the product since I did not receive it. This is about their customer service. I can honestly say I gave them every chance to answer and they were not helpful at all.

I ordered some berries and other things. spent around $70.00. everything seemed OK I got my tracking info, watched it like a hawk. took some time off to make sure I'll be here for the delivery. next thing I know the tracking status is showing delivered! i know for a fact it didn't get delivered because I was there! I send an email to Ison right away. Any how, I figured is not their fault since apparently something got shipped (or at least I think so based on the fact that got a tracking number from them)

so I sent an e mail to them where I explained what happened. 3 days later I got a very short reply saying my order had shipped, then a date, and the carrier. I'm thinking: wow! did you not read my question? I have been tracking it, so yes. I know who the carrier is. I know when it shipped. What I need to know where it is. After all, it's not my fedex account. They should be the ones calling in to check on it.

I was trying to be calm and just e mailed back saying: I know that. I have been tracking it. Please read my original e mail below. They replied something along the lines of we tracked the package and it looks like it delivered on such and such date. At this point I'm getting irritated because all they have done so far is repeat everything I have already told them. so I replied saying please don't repeat what I've already told you can you just check on the delivery? and I haven't heard from them in days.

I'm very irritated with their customer service. I have a job and very little free time. I don't have time for this back and forth where all I get are unusable answers and 0 solutions. I just think It's not fair that I'm taking all the risk here. they got paid and now they couldn't care less. GREAT!

ohh well. I'm over this. no more online nurseries for me.
Negative GreenBugger
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
May 12, 2015
This review is on the mail order aspect of the company. This company may be great if you live nearby or within driving distance, however, this company should not be doing business online because they simply do not care about their mail order customers.

First of all, a mail order company must guarantee their plants/trees that they sell. 7 days is simply not long enough to evaluate whether a plant/tree is going to survive. I received trees in the mail, already leafed out when they should have been dormant, leaves dried and extremely stressed. Their guarantee states that the trees must be dead on arrival within seven days. These trees were alive and COULD make it, although very unlikely. The point being, it is going to take much longer than seven days to nurse these miserable trees back to health, which at that point will be well passed the guarantee. Is this done on purpose? It sure sounds like it, but why would a successful well established company need to do such a tactic to make money? If they cannot ship trees to a location and guarantee them to be healthy and in good shape, then they should not ship to these places. The money they would lose from this would be made up for by great positive reviews and customer feedback, which should bring in repeat customers. That has got to be better than the MANY 1 and done customers that they have now.

Secondly, a mail order company has to be able to respond to customers emails, questions and calls in a timely manner. Many people who order through the mail and over the internet, do not call but choose to correspond through emails instead. Email is the modern form of communication and should be taken seriously. I have emailed this company on numerous occasions, simply receiving an automated email saying something like, "we will get in touch with you as soon as possible". Many emails later, there is NO response. Not one. Why is it so difficult to respond to an email? I do not see how ANY business in the modern age can get by without at least some email communication. Let alone a business that makes its money using an online website, where emails are the mainstream way for communicating with customers.

The final nail in the coffin of this business, is that they don't even know what plants/trees you ordered! No company should ever ship the wrong item to any customer without some explanation as to why they are doing so. Understandably, substitutions occur all the time. But opening up a box and being surprised that a substitution has occurred is not the way to handle the situation. If you do not have the item that was ordered you need to contact the customer and ask if he/she would like a substitution or a refund for that item. Again, this would fall under better communication skills. Although, at this point, I would settle for ANY communication. I ordered trees, which apparently were not available, so I got something else instead. Surprise, way to go, just give me any old tree and maybe I'll be happy and shut up. I probably would have, but maybe, just maybe, this should have been asked first, hmmm?

So what is the point of this negative review? To have my trees replaced and the situation fixed? Of course, I would love that! I work hard for my money after all and I would like to feel good about spending it on something I enjoyed. As of right now, I feel pretty sick that I got mistreated so badly. I feel as if I was duped by a very tricky scam artist and my money is just, gone. I doubt this will happen. If it does, this review will still stay negative, because it does not change the fact that all of these things need to be addressed by this company if they are to stay in business as a mail order nursery. I sell plants myself. I do not sell plants online nor would I ever attempt to do so, no matter how much money I might make. I know my limitations and I know I could not offer the kind of guarantee that I offer my customers in person. Many mail order companies can make that guarantee and are very successful at it. I suggest that Isons contact some of these companies and inquire as to how they go about doing such good business online and through the mail. It can be done. Please stop creating unhappy customers. It's bad for the entire plant/nursery business overall. Fix your problems and fill this page with positive feedback. These reviews do not show us a company that has been operating since 1934.
On May 13, 2015 11:29 AM, Ison\'s Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

First off let me start by sincerely apologizing for the bad experience you have had with our company. Our customer satisfaction is very important to us.

Secondly, let me tell you that we want to do everything we can to make this right for you. Beginning April, we are short staffed in our office to due the operations outside the business. With the extreme difficult winter we had 2014 we lost a lot of plants and had to limit our staff as much as possible until our inventory is back. We have just completed all of our potting and will have an excellent inventory this coming year. When you have a limited staff, unfortunately things don't always get done as they should and for that I am extremely sorry.

We do guarantee that the plants you receive are alive upon receipt. If you are unhappy with the plants your receive you have 7 days to contact us for a full refund. You can tell if the plants are alive even if they are not leafed out. When you scratch the bark you should see green. We state if they fail to leaf out by July 1st we will replace the following year at half price. We take half the responsibility and let the customer take half the responsibility. There are so many factors involved in if a plant will survive. Weather, soil conditions, quality of plants, care after planted and more. I wish we could guarantee that every plant we sell will live and produce no matter what but that is impossible. Even when we plant our own plants we consider 80% livability to be a success. Sometimes you cannot determine the exact cause a plant does not survive. So we take half the responsibility. I understand you got your trees already leafed out. Here they did start leafing out some and our guys did ship them with leaves on them. We have many customers that still want to receive trees and plants in late April and May. That is why we discount the trees during that time as well. By this time alot of plants are leafed out. It definitely is not the most ideal situation but usually the plants do recover and we try to get them to the customer as quickly as possible. If your plants do not survive I will be happy to replace these for you a not costs this coming shipping season and would need to ship them to you much earlier in the season. Here in Georgia, by April and May lots of trees are budding and leafing out.

As far as responding to your emails, with a limited staff we did drop the ball in that area. Our first priority in the office are the customers that walk in the door. After that it is the phones that are ringing. Then we try to respond to our emails. We do respond to most but have been unable to respond to all. Every email is important but we just were not able to answer each one and for that I am tremendously sorry. We are working on a better system to be able to respond and have the staff available to reply. It is difficult to respond to an email when you have an office full of customers and phones ringing as well as other work needing to be done. We hope to have someone dedicated this coming year to do nothing but answer emails so we can stay on top of that.

By the end of the season we are selling out of many products. We do substitute but only when absolutely necessary. There should have been a letter in your invoice stating what was being done and why. Apparently that did not happen as well. We again dropped the ball and failed to provide you with the excellent service we strive for. Again, I am so very sorry for your poor experience.

I understand that your money is valued and we want to make sure you receive what your ordered and the best possible plants. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with our business and would like to do all I can to make this right for you. My grandfather started our business in 1934 and each and every customer is very important to us. I understand we did not get it right with you but I can assure you we did get it right for many many of our customers and they hare very satisfied with out business and happy with our plants. Unfortunately, those customers do not take the time to posts a positive review. You will find it is the customers with bad experiences that do. Yes we got it wrong with you and some other customers but we do get it right most of the time.

Please contact me as soon as possible. My name is Janet Ison. I want to work with you to make sure you get everything taken care of and to let you know we are a quality business that has been providing quality plants to our customers since 1934. We are in NO WAY A TRICKY SCAM ARTIST!!! We care about each and every customer and their needs and will do all we can to help you in anyway. Sincerely, Janet Ison

Positive TwistedCreek
Hillsboro, OH
April 30, 2015
Posted on May 6, 2014, updated April 30, 2015
Posted on April 28, 2014, updated May 6, 2014
NO CUSTOMER SERVICE

I received a 4-in-one-cherry tree several days ago, and it only had three varieties. The 4th graft had failed long ago, as it was brown and healed. The worst part is, they sold it anyway, knowing it was only three, as they put the tag for the 4th variety around the trunk because there was no branch to put it on!

I have tried calling every day, and at different hours. All I ever get is a recording, at both customer service numbers. I left a message - no return call. I emailed. Sent photos. No response.

Don\'t count on getting any help from this company.
If they mess up your order, - too bad, so sad.

FAIL
On May 6th, 2014, TwistedCreek changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am very impressed with the fact that Ison\'s has gone over and above in an attempt to make good on my problem. They are a company that not only takes care of their mistakes, but also works hard towards keeping a customer happy and bringing them back again. How a company handles mistakes and problems says more about them than if the order was correct in the first place. Thank you Ison\'s. You\'ve turned a negative into a positive.
On April 30th, 2015, TwistedCreek added the following:

So now it's a year later, and I have to say that Janet Ison actually sent my replacement cherry tree this spring without me having to do anything. I really didn't believe she would. Just goes to show you that they keep their word.
Negative shorowitz24
Crozet, VA
April 9, 2015
TODAY I was told on the telephone that my tree order of $400.00+ was shipped YESTERDAY and that the price of the trees had been reduced by 30% at midnight YESTERDAY. According to FedEx, shipment info regarding my order was sent to them TODAY and they picked up my shipment TODAY, when the prices were 30% less than I was charged. Not very thoughtful of Ison's, when they had every opportunity to charge me TODAY's current price instead of $125.00 more.
On May 13, 2015 11:40 AM, Ison\'s Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

When you place an order online we have not control of when you are charged and how. We will be happy to refund you the difference in the price. Please contact us as soon as you can and let me take care of this for you.

We do start dropping the prices on items that are overstocked. I apologize for taking so long to respond to your comment.

Please give me a call as soon as possible! Janet Ison

Negative ktuvam2k3
Raeford, NC
April 8, 2015
I had placed an order and had to take a sudden trip so I emailed as well as called Isons to change the date of my shipment of grape vines. I was told this was no problem and they would be shipped out to me in Mid-March. As I was absent, a box arrived in my yard, my neighbor who was kind enough to get it can not read where it was from, so I asked her to open it. My neighbor is classed as Special needs so I can not expect her to care for them so asked her to place the box in my shed. The next day I called and was told if able to send the box back. I explained I would not return home for almost a month and could not return to sender because box was opened. I was told not to worry, a new order will be shipped out on the date I requested. When I got home, the vines were already dried (they snapped like twigs), so I trashed them thinking I'll be fine with my order coming in. I have emailed them starting the beginning of March 2015 as well as calling and leaving messages. At first I was just trying to let them know I was ready for them and they could ship anytime...now after several attempts by emails and messages left, I have not heard from anyone regarding this matter. This upsets me a lot because I feel I'm being avoided and ignored. :(
On May 13, 2015 11:44 AM, Ison\'s Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so very sorry for the poor experience you had with our business. Your plants should have been held and not shipped until the date you requested. I am not sure what happened and I am looking into it. We definitely dropped the ball and I regret that.

I want to ensure that you receive all the plants you ordered in quality condition. Please contact me by phone at the nursery (770) 599-6970. I am in the office 9-5. Our phones are slowing down now and you should be able to get through. If you receive the voice mail please hang up and call again in a few minutes until one of us answers.

Your satisfaction is so very important to us and I will do everything possible to take care of your plant needs. Again, I am so sorry you did not receive the quality service we strive for. Sincerely, Janet Ison

Positive Japple002
Dallas
United States
January 26, 2015
I love this place! Great people and customer care every time I walk in the door is wonderful! I appreciate the time they have taken to get me sorted out on planting new vines, and how much time one associate personally took with me, staying on the line with me while I took all the notes I could as this is their field of expertise. I know I probably kept you from taking other calls, but I appreciate the time you spent on making sure I was planting right in order to see a fruitful harvest. THANK YOU ISONS!!!!
Positive SE_1969
Raleigh, NC
January 25, 2015
Long time customer. I've purchased many fruit trees and muscadine vines from Ison's over the years and have always been pleased with their service and products. Highly recommend.
Negative zaffutos
Loranger, LA
January 21, 2015
I have been a Isons customer for over 4 years. I have bought trees shrubs and over 30 muscadine plants for myself and family members. I tried both calling and emailing them about a issue I had in ordering but could not use my promo code. Never got a answer. Monday I called 01-19-15 asking about 6 muscadine vines that are beautifu vines but have not produced a single grape. I was told Mr. Ison would call me back. since it was 9am I figured I would get a call that evening but did not hear from him. Tuesday I called back and was told he would call me in a few hours. Again never heard from him. Today 01-21-15 3pm and still haven't heard from him. Guess he is to busy to worry about people that have already spent money with them.
Positive FruitbyDesign
Dolomite, AL
November 18, 2014
Have bought plants for years from Isons. Have always been pleased with plants, service and especially prices. All of my muscadine vines, fruit trees and blueberry plants in my home orchard have come from Isons. Happy long time customer. Highly recommend.
Negative agfonthort
July 2, 2014
I ordered 2 raspberry plants and 4 blackberry plants, all bare root, from them in May 2014. A couple looked like they were in bad shape, but I planted them all, as suggested by Isons and waited. Only three leafed out. The others are dead. I suspect that they were dead on arrival. I contacted Isons to complain and also to take advantage of their plant guarantee to replace the dead plants. They never returned my emails.

I won't be buying from them in the future.
Negative carbcarb
Clifton, NJ
May 25, 2014
I purchased several pear trees and a Pakistan Mulberry Tree on March 2013. One pear tree and the mulberry tree didn't leaf out for last summer. Tried to call the company, but never got a chance to speak to someone. Felt very frustrated.

This spring, the appear-to-be-dead pear tree finally leaf out. But the mulberry tree is totally dead after I dug it out and examined the roots.
Negative jujube11
North Wales, PA
May 5, 2014
I bought 2 jujube trees (one Sherwood one Li) from Ison's in 2010, didn't survive in the following winter. Paid 50% of the regular tree price and got the replacement in 2011. Each year, the trees have lots of flowers but not a single fruit. A few days ago, just looked at the record and realized this would be the 4th spring! The bigger disappointment is to my kids who excitedly told me each spring that the trees sprouted then flowered, then came with the same disappointing summer and fall!

Called the customer a couple years ago, although one of the ladies was very nice, no explanations offered.

Negative bessie89
Hearne, TX (Zone 8b)
April 30, 2014
I ordered an Instant Orchard Angel Pomegranate tree in December and received the tree this spring. I was happy to see its size. It being bare of leaves and bareroot did not bother me, as I have ordered/received other plants from other nurseries in similar fashion (this is not new to me). I immediately washed the gel that the root ball was wrapped in and planted the tree according to instructions. Again, planting a bare root and/or dormant tree/plant is not new to me. However, all of my other trees and plants have broken dormancy at this point and are leafed out, some are even rather bushy and have begun to bare fruit. This is not the case with the Angel Pomegranate tree. I don't see how it could be considered an Instant Orchard when it appears to be dead. It has not leafed out whatsoever. I check it every day and no change at all. I tried calling Isons, but was not able to speak with anyone. So, I emailed them several weeks ago inquiring to know if this is normal for this variety (late break in dormancy), but again, no luck. I have not received a reply. When I ordered, I was hesistant due to their guarantee of reshipping at 50% for a replacement but I had such wonderful experiences and results from others, such as Nature Hills and Bay Laurel Nursery that I didn't think anything would be amiss. Well, I regret this mistake. I found another Angel Red tree locally that was fully leafed out and blooming, so I purchased that one for less than the Isons tree, so I don't care to have a replacement shipped out, especially at additional cost to me. I'm sorry I took a chance with Isons and I would not recommend them. Save your money and time. They don't make it easy to communicate with them to help resolve issues. I bet if there was a problem with my method of payment, they would have contacted me immediately.
Negative chstrcopperpot
Morehead City, NC
March 25, 2014
I bought grapes, elderberries, and on impulse a pineapple guava. I bought the pineapple guava simply because I wanted to feel like I was getting a good deal on shipping. I got the shipment and the bare root plants look like normal bare root plants, just a stick. The pineapple guava (an evergreen) had lost all of its leaves but two and was not very supple.

I tried repeatedly to call them, but got no answer or return call so I took pictures and emailed them to ask about the plant. I kept calling and eventually got through and they said that it shouldn't look like that and they'll send a replacement. Then, I get an email asking if want a refund because all the pineapple guavas were damaged by the extreme cold. I respond that I would rather have a refund than a plant next year and then they send me another plant. It gets to me and there are no leaves on it.

When I called, I was told that I should just wait and see if it leafs out and that damage in shipping is normal. This doesn't appear to be shipping damage and I paid for what I assumed would be healthy plants. I suppose I should be happy I got two for one, but I didn't order dead plants.

This makes me worried about the grapes and berries that won't leaf out for a while yet.
Neutral backyardgrowing
Littlerock, CA
February 9, 2014
Posted on July 9, 2013, updated February 10, 2014
Posted on June 16, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I ordered three table grapevines (concord, neptune and reliance). Of the three only neptune and reliance had good root systems. The concord vine was small and had a weak root system.I planted all three and 1 month later my suspicion was correct. The concord vine did not leaf out and was dry/dead. I contacted them 3 TIMES VIA e-mail with no response. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THEY HAVE NO REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE.
On July 9th, 2013, backyardgrowing changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Update:

They responded to my e-mail. In order to get a replacement I have to pay half of the original purchase price. They send me a dead grape vine and yet i have to pay half for a replacement. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO WITH STARKBROS.COM OR GROWORGANIC.COM
On February 9th, 2014, backyardgrowing changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Last month i received a free replacement from them. Better communication on their part would avoid bad feedback. Their prices are reasonable and one of the cheapest prices. Thank You Ison's Nursery & Vineyard.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:30 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so sorry to here of the problems you had with our nursery. I cannot explain why it took so long for you to get a response to your emails. I have several on staff whose job is to respond and address the needs of each email we receive daily. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

If any customer is not happy with the plant at the time they receive it, they have 30 days to ask for a replacement or a full refund. We do have a policy that if your plants fail to leaf out by July 1st that we will replace the following year at half price. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the care the plant receives after it is planted, the conditions in which it is planted such as soil quality nor can we guarantee the weather. We have had many customers who have planted their vines and never watered or fertilized them. For that reason, we implemented a 50% replacement policy. We are a 3rd generation family business and do our best to meet every need of our customers.

We would like to provide you with a full refund of the cost of the vine that you ordered. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us. We would also like to offer our apology for the problems you experienced with our nursery. Our customers make our business and we do all that we can to meet the needs of our customers and provide excellent quality plants for their home garden needs.

We do our best to send out the highest quality plants. Unfortunately, we cannot get up all the orders personally ourselves as owners and depend on our staff to fill orders. I sincerely regret that you received a substandard plant and will do everything possible to ensure your satisfaction. We have been in business since 1934 and pride ourselves in our longevity and quality service we provide.

Please contact us as soon as possible and allow us to take care of this for you. Sincerely, Janet Ison

Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
September 1, 2013
Posted on July 16, 2013, updated September 1, 2013
Posted on December 18, 2012, updated July 16, 2013
Posted on September 26, 2012, updated December 18, 2012
Posted on February 9, 2012, updated September 26, 2012
I have been very pleased with Ison's. I contacted Ison's both before and after placing my order. I called with general questions, once to change my order, and a couple of times to check status of the shipment. They always answered promptly and were knowledgeable about their products.

I ordered 5 varieties of blackberries, 2 blueberry bushes, 3 muscadine vines, and 3 types of trees. I received the order about a week and a half ago. For the most part, everything appears healthy and as described on their website.

I'll need to keep an eye on a couple of the blackberry plants. The Navaho had no branching and the stalk was approx. 1 inch in diameter, which seems very thick for a young plant. The Arapaho has branching and is of the correct size, but appears to have severe die back. I'll keep a close eye on both of these over the next several weeks and report back.

The remaining blackberry, blueberry, and muscadine plants all look good. The fig tree also looks nice and is much larger than I expected. The almond tree is a little shorter than described, but has very nice branching. The Jujube description indicated the tree would be 4-5' branched. The tree was of the correct height, but all limbs had been completely pruned away leaving just a long stick. However, this could be normal pruning for this type of tree.

Overall, considering the great customer service, the user friendly website, and the good condition of most of the plants, I am very satisfied. I just wish I had ordered one or two more muscadines!
On September 26th, 2012, RobThomas added the following:

I wanted to give an update since my original posting.
The three trees I ordered (jujube, almond, fig) have all done very well. The almond tree put out a lot of growth over the summer. The jujube is a slow grower, but is very healthy. The fig had die back from a late freeze, but put out new growth from the base. The blackberry plants have grown like crazy. Looking forward to fresh blackberries next year.

The only issues I've had have been with the muscadine vines. I placed two orders for a total of five vines. Sadly, only two survived. From reading reviews here and elsewhere, it seems bare root muscadines have a tendency to leaf out, but then die back to the ground. They may or may not resprout from the roots. All of mine leafed out, but on most the leaves would later turn brown and fall off. The original vines died, but a couple did sprout from the roots. I didn't ask for replacements since all the plants did leaf out before dying back.

Overall, considering the good customer service and quality plants, I still give Ison's a positive rating. I'm just not sure I'd order bare root muscadines again.
On December 18th, 2012, RobThomas added the following:

No muscadines this time, but I did order and receive two pomegranate plants. These are the hard to find cold hardy "Russian" type poms. The introductory price of $16.95 for 2' - 3' plants was very good. The actual plants were taller than advertised- 3.5' - 4' and very well branched with good roots. Very pleased when a company provides better than expected products and/or service.
On July 16th, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I sent Ison's an email in May advising that one of the two pomegranates had never leafed out, and that a scratch test showed the tree to be dead. They replied with, "Sorry, they are sold out for the season. We will send a replacement in the fall". That response was perfectly acceptable - a no hassle offer of replacement. However, nearly two months later I receive a letter in the mail stating that they will replace the tree for 1/2 cost plus shipping. If that is their standard policy then fine, but that wasn't the offer I received via email. They can offer any guarantee they want, but to make one offer of unconditional replacement, then renege on that offer later is unacceptable and goes against any standard of customer service.

I'm not one to lightly rate a company below "positive", and of my multiple company ratings, Ison's is the only to ever get anything less than positive. But, considering that three of five muscadines died back to the ground (which I never asked them to replace), one of two pomegranates were dead, and the renege on the offer of replacement, I think a rating of "neutral" is more than generous.
On September 1st, 2013, RobThomas changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I've just recently read Ison's response to my review. I appreciate that they have reached out, and I do believe they truly value customer service. I haven't contacted Ison's yet, but am changing my rating back to positive based on their efforts to make things right.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:40 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

In regard to your posting, I wanted to respond and offer my services in ensuring your satisfaction with our nursery! I apologize for the misunderstanding as far as our replacement policy. We will be happy to replace your pomegranate tree at no costs to you.

Our replacement policy is posted in our catalog as well as our website. We try to make sure it is accessible to our customers. I do agree that the email you received was misleading and not clear and for that I am very sorry!

We want to ensure your satisfaction and that you have quality plants from our nursery. Please allow us to replace the muscadines you lost as well as the pomegranates that did not leaf out. We have been shipping bareroot plants since 1970 and have not had any problems with these types of plants. We actually plant bareroot vines in our vineyards and have great success with these vines. There are many factors that can affect the reason your vines died back. For that reason, it is not always possible to determine the exact cause.

Please contact us immediately and give your information so we can get your plants replaced this coming shipping season. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will do all that we can to ensure your planting success!

Thank You! Janet Ison

Negative pecantreesucker
Houston, TX
August 8, 2013
POEPLE,RUN,RUN,RUN,FROM ISON'S. IF YOU LIKE MAKING THIS COMPANY MONEY BUY PURCHASING THEIR DEAD PLANTS AND TREES THEN YOU GOT THE RIGHT PLACE. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WOULD SEND OUT A PECAN TREE WITHOUT ANY SIGNS OF GROWTH, YES JUST A 3 FT STICK, AND THEN WANT ANOTHER 50% TO SEND ANOTHER TREE OUT. NOT ME SUCKER, STIFF ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU,STIFF ME TWICE SHAME ON ME. CUSTOMER BEWARE THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW GREAT THEY ARE BUT YOU ARE ROLLING THE DICE,GOOD LUCK

On Aug 13, 2013 4:11 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I would like to sincerely apologize for the poor service you have received from our nursery. We strive to provide the highest quality trees and service to our customer. Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes do happen. We would never intentionally send out a tree that is not alive and/or in poor condition. Unfortunately, we as owners cannot fill every order ourselves and depend on our staff. Sometimes they fail to provide our customers with the highest quality possible. We will continue to work on ensuring that does not happen again.

We will be more than happy to send you a full refund for the pecan tree you ordered from us. We do have a policy that if you receive a tree from us and are not happy with it when you receive you, that you have 30 days to let us know and we will issue a full refund. If you plant it and it fails to leaf out by July 1st we will replace at half price the following year. I am so sorry that we disappointed you in our business. We are a 3rd generation family business and provide ourselves in offering our customers the best service possible.

If you could contact our office and give us the information we will immediately issure you a refund. Again, please accept my deepest apology for the poor service you received. In the future, I hope you will give us another try and you can ask for me personally. Just ask for Janet Ison.

Negative imaginefarm
Perry, GA
July 5, 2013
I have ordered from Isons in the past and been very pleased. I tried to order from them in the spring of 2013. I called, I sent emails, no contact. I was trying to spend money and they would not return phone calls. Very poor customer service.
On Aug 13, 2013 4:46 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

I am so sorry with the difficulty you received trying to contact our nursery. We begin our potting season in the Spring of 2013 and have a smaller staff in our office. We have had issues with our email provided and have since resolved these problems. Our customers are very important to us and are the sole reason our business is successful!

Please allow us in the future to assist you. My name is Janet and I am one of the owners here. We will be fully staffed back in the office in September and we are currently answering our emails daily. We will begin our shipping season in early November.

We have been in business since 1934 and we are a 3rd generation family business. My grandfather started our business on a small scale growing muscadine vines. We have since added products and grown to what we are now.

Again, I am very sorry for the difficulties you had with contacting our nursery! I hope you will give us a call again and feel free to ask for me personally!

Sincerley, Janet Ison

Positive grablejc
Roanoke, IN
April 30, 2013
I ordered a bunch of Gooseberry, Currant, and Elderberry plants (36 in all) in February 2013. Plants shipped in early March and since it was still cold in Northern Indiana, I heeled them into a couple of pots in the garage.

Most all of the plants are now planted outside and are leafing and budding like crazy. A couple of the currant plants didn't look well but I believe they recognized that because there were a few extra. The plants had huge root systems.

I am very pleased and have added them as a favorite. Will buy from again.
Positive BecwarGardeners
Manvel, TX
April 1, 2013
We ordered 2 muscadines almost two years ago now. We actually ended up receiving one that was mislabeled and then a replacement. So... three grapevines total in the end. All three are THRIVING! We are anticipating a great little harvest of grapes (can already see tons of little ones) this year. As a result, we are EAGERLY awaiting our latest order of a Persimmon, a Pineapple Guava, a Fig, a Goji Berry and ANOTHER grape! We love their service, and their products thus far. We have already recommended highly to friends!
Neutral NicoleC
Madison, AL (Zone 7b)
March 28, 2013
Posted on March 15, 2013, updated March 28, 2013
My favorite regional walk-in/mail-order nursery did not have the bare root strawberry variety I wanted this year, so I tried another regional nursery: Ison's. The Chandler strawberries I ordered in early February arrived in late February but appeared to be nearly dead; roots dried out and the stubs of leaves rotting. Nothing like the last two times I received bareroot strawberry shipments. I hoped they were dormant, even though Ison's is in a warmer climate than mine and my other Chandler strawberries were already blooming. Strawberries are quite tough, so I planted them in the bed that had been prepared for them and waited. 3 weeks later, only 14 of the 25 plants show signs of life. Meanwhile, some extra plants I moved from my other bed are growing vigorously in the same spot.

To be fair, I did not contact the company to express my disappointment, so I don't know if they would have shipped me new plants. If these are the caliber of plants they are shipping, I don't want a replacement -- these plants will not possibly produce any fruit this year.
On March 28th, 2013, NicoleC changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

March 28: I received a surprise box in the mail today. It seems Ison's saw my negative review, figured out which one was my order and sent me an entirely new order with an apologetic note. The new shipment certainly looks much better than the last -- firm healthy roots, no smell of rot and signs of top growth.

I am upgrading my new to "Neutral," because I feel Ison's is going above and beyond trying to make their customers happy.
Positive samantha78
Austin, TX
January 19, 2013
Recently placed an order with Ison's and I was very pleased with their service and products. Shipping was fast too. I'm looking forward to planting my new fruit trees and blueberries.
Positive Grapes2Grapes
Mint Hill, NC
January 19, 2013
Highly recommend this company. We have been doing busines with Isons Nursery since the early 1990's. We have ordered plants that were shipped to our farm many times and have also had the pleasure of visiting the nursery and meeting the Ison's. Bill Ison even gave us a tour of his vineyards during harvest season many years ago. It is good to know that there are still some family farms around. Greg Ison has spent a lot of time with us over the years answering questions and offering much needed advice. Always pleased with the outstanding plants and service. Also want to thank Ms Kim for good service. I like buying from the grower. A+
Negative lexus2004
Oxford, NC
January 7, 2013
I placed an order 11/21/12. Order was never shipped. Finally filed dispute with Pay Pal. Received refund for order on 1/7 13 no explanation I never got the plants that wanted. WHAT A SHAME!
Positive TRHoffman
Lugoff, SC
November 2, 2012
Quick shipping and what appear to be good, healthy strawberry plants. I ordered 50 strawberry plugs this fall and received them in 48 hours. Prices were reasonable - or at least in line with what I could find from other growers on-line. Overall, a good transation and I will consider buying from them again.
Positive GNgoDDS
White Oak, MD
September 13, 2012
Posted on August 23, 2012, updated September 13, 2012
Posted on July 29, 2012, updated August 23, 2012
I had ordered 6 muscadine grapevines from them. The grapevines arrived but one did not sprout at all. I notified them and they said they would put me on the list for a new order the next planting season. Within a week, two more plants croaked after barely sprouting buds. In my 2nd notification to them by email, I got no response. This is the first mail-order company I have ordered plants from that has such poor customer service. It has been almost a month since my second email and I have not heard anything from them. I gave a negative rating because of the 6 plants ordered, only 3 actually survived, although I have been giving them TLC daily. I am still watering the dead ones, hoping maybe a miracle will happen and they would sprout leaves from the spot I planted (No more stem evident since they disappeared.) In fact, I had order two male plants to pollinate the four female plants. Both male plants are completely gone.
On August 23rd, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Recently, Ison's nursery contacted me my email. They explained that they had cut down their staffs during summer months. Anyways, they just sent me the replacement grapevines which I immediately replaced. The leaves did not survive the transport but the vines look green and viable. I will give them sometime to recover from the transport shock. I will update in a later time.
On September 13th, 2012, GNgoDDS changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

It is now mid September and all the plants shipped or reshipped have turned out very healthy. Thank you Ison.
Negative zyphia
May 13, 2012
Posted on May 13, 2012, updated May 13, 2012
Posted on May 1, 2010, updated May 13, 2012
I ordered nearly $200 worth of 5-6' peach trees (4 Saturn peach trees) from them and received 3-4 ' single "twigs" and 2 of them were dead. I emailed them and it took more than 2 emails to get their attention and when the raplacements arrived they were apparently the 5-6' original ones that should have been sent in the first place but they too were DEAD. They were ordered in late fall 2009 and the replacements were just sent in March 2010 and I am still waiting to hear from Ison's about a replacement or refund. My husband said it looks like I can kiss that money goodbye and maybe it is an expensive lesson I have learned. I will NEVER order any plants via mail order again and will warn others about this. I live in Georgia and ordered from Ison's because I wanted to make sure the trees would grow here. My experience was VERY VERY NEGATIVE.
On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following:

Here it is, 2 years later and guess what......the trees have begun to produce fruit and THEY ARE NOT EVEN SATURN PEACHES!!!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT....they are not even what I paid for and emailed the company about and finally got replacements for...sigh sigh..you would think I had learned my lesson, huh? But nooooo....stupid me. Now I have another email fired off to them to see what their excuse is going to be. I bet they will say "but you are mistaken, we never sold the Saturn peach"...haha..but little do they know I kept meticulous records of every purchase. I canot believe they not only sent me twigs the first time and the second time they sent me the wrong tree. I wonder if they duped other customers too. Stay tuned. If they do not make this right I am contacting the Better Business Bureau. I noticed Greg Ison made a comment someplace in another post about making my problem *right*..let's see what he does about this one and my fake peach trees.
On May 13th, 2012, zyphia added the following:

Company representative comment on May 16, 2012:
On May 16, 2012 3:38 PM, Ison's Nursery & Vineyard responded with:

We never want to have a disappointed customer! And it has always been our policy to do everything possible to make it right if a customer is not satisfied or if there is an error in an order.

We are a third generation family owned nursery and grower. We take pride in the plants that we grow and the value and service that we offer. We have also worked hard and are proud of our At rating with the Better Business Bureau.

We are saddened to see Ms Widenerís post and that she was disappointed with her plants. We contacted her long ago to address her concerns. Her original order was dated 10/24/2009 for Galaxy Peach Trees in the amount of $130.75.

When she contacted us originally about her order and told us she was not satisfied we reshipped the order, plus we issued her a full refund. And as a gesture of good will we also included a $100 gift certificate that she could use on anything she wanted. She redeemed the gift certificate for kiwi plants and an instant orchard pear tree that were shipped in the winter of 2010/2011.

We called her once again today as a sign of good will and concern for one of our customers after seeing her post.

We truly do care and strive to be the best mail order nursery in the country.

Positive BeulahRanch
Siguatepeque
Honduras
February 11, 2012
I would highly recommend Ison's Nursery. I have been dealing with them for the past 25 years and have been well satisfied with their plants and service. I bought a lot from them while living in MS and also since living in Honduras.

On February 6, 2012 I again called them to place an order for some berry plants a wanted to try down here. I asked if there was any way they could send them out the same day or Tuesday so that I would have them in time to bring them down with some other plants I am planning to bring. She said she would make sure they go out on Monday. On Wednesday the 8th (2 days after ordering) we received the plants in MS in good condition. I couldnít wish for a more accommodating company.
Positive stdno2man
Stone Mountain, GA
January 30, 2012
I have a 4 acre fruit tree and nut orchard. I ordered approximately $500 back in October 2011. Each time I called I received good customer service and was told when the trees would be available. In Jan it was very warm so I decided rather than wait I would drive the 100 miles down to pick up the trees. I called first and they said my order would be ready. When I got there they got everything together for me. The trees were in outstanding condition. Moreover I enjoyed speaking with the male who I think owns the place. He was very helpful and very friendly. I ended up purchasing and additional $400 worth of trees. I normally only purchase trees through Johnson Nursery in Ellijay whom I am very fond of and very pleased with. However since this nursery is closer I will definitely be doing my business here.
Positive jimfrankmartin
Scott, LA
January 26, 2012
In early January 2012 I ordered one seedless Concord grape, one Ison black self fertile muscadine, one Tiftblue and one other blueberry from Ison's. The plants arrived healthy, clean and correctly and clearly labeled. The growth on each
plant was vigorous and impressive. The root systems on each plant were breathtaking. I wonder how such a thick, dense substantial root system could grow so quickly on plants so small and young. These folks clearly know how to develop roots in the young nursery stock they sell. I found myself impressed that they included separate planting instructions for each species of plant. I will later this year post a progress report on the growth of these clearly superior plants from a conscientious and highly professional firm.
Positive rich1955
Buna, TX
January 25, 2012
Made an order online one night....the next morn called and made some changes, after I hung the phone...I thought... that was to easy, and expected some glich in my received order....you know what I'm talking about. " Didn't happen ". They were willing, friendly, fast, an efficient.....and the packaging was excellant, no skimp, you can tell they are in it to do a good job. My compliments.
Positive patrickb
Atlanta, GA
January 22, 2012
My wife and I made our first trip to Ison's this past Saturday. We purchased two "instant orchard" apple trees, a couple blueberry bushes, three raspberry bushes, and a bundle of 25 strawberry plugs. We live in Atlanta and did some research on the internet for fruit nurseries within an hours drive. I found an article about the Georgia Organics fruit tree sale in 2010 and figured if Georgia Organics sold Ison's trees they would probably be a good choice. Our experience was fantastic. I had ordered the trees earlier in the year (10% discount for early orders - I think it was October), and they called me this past week to let me know everything was ready to be picked up. When we arrived the staff was very friendly. They helped load everything in our car, gave us information about the plants, and applied the 10% discount to a number of other plants that we added on to our order. The woman that rung us up also gave us a free pack of Tree Saver because she forgot to add it to our order. All of the plants look healthy and very much alive. There were a few broken limbs on the apple trees, but they had to be pruned anyway. Obviously I can't comment on plants that are shipped through the mail, but if you live in Atlanta and don't mind a short road trip south (near Peachtree City) this is a great place to get fruit trees, fruit bushes, etc.
Positive ruthie20111
Menlo, GA
March 29, 2011
I have never had a problem with Ison, great plants, so I have to give Ison a AAA plus, you don't get that service just anywhere.
Positive gopals
Sidney, TX
March 25, 2011
Very good experiences with this company so far. Their variety selection for the South East and Deep South is excellent. All the trees and vines I've ordered have been robust with excellent root systems and healthy stems. Everything seems solid. Pretty good prices and the trees got here fast. Very highly recommended.
Positive mar9lina
Panama City, FL
January 7, 2011
I recently received an order from Ison's for Blackberries, Raspberries, and a 2 year plus Muscadine. The Blackberries and Raspberries were in good shape and had a few extras of each. The Muscadine seemed to be in good shape but much smaller than advertised. I contacted them to let them know. They immediately (within days over Christmas Holidays) shipped me a new much bigger vine and told me I could keep the smaller one as well. I am very satisfied with Ison's and will definitely order from them again.
Negative sssperry
Marietta, NC
January 1, 2011
Been gardening 40 years. Isons the worst experience ever. Last year ordered 5 trees, 6 bushes, 2 goji plants. Really wanted goji plants which is why I ordered from them. After many calls looking for my order & getting a different excuse each time, the order came
minus the goji plants although order indicated they were there. After calling was told Sorry, we didn't have any (but they did charge me for them) We called them a few months later to let them know that only one tree grew, everything else was dead. They promised to make it good this season, but have not done so. In forty years, we have had one or two items fail during that time, but never an entire order.
Positive acamp
Harrison, TN
December 30, 2010
Posted on December 30, 2010, updated December 30, 2010
Had two recent orders, one for muscadines and one for blueberries. Received promptly, excellent plants and root systems. Would recommend ordering from Ison's Nursery, a good family business.
On December 30th, 2010, acamp changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Neutral Stu77047
Houston, TX
October 27, 2010
Posted on October 25, 2010, updated October 27, 2010
January 2009 I ordered two vines from Ison's order number #101686 in case anyone from Ison's reads this. I ordered one Nesbit and One Fry Seedless. I get them and plant them as directed even though one appears dead and dry.

After one grows for about a month, I call to get a new Fry Seedless sent out, because that is the one that was dead and dry. After trying about 10 times to get a hold of someone, I finally do. Don't expect a callback. Leaving messages is useless. They send out a replacement. I let it go as bad customer service.

About June of 2009 the dead vine shoots up a sprout. So I guess it all worked out for the best right. Well this year I get grapes from my vines. Vine one - supposed to be a Nesbit (Black grape) is a white grape that is aweful tasting. Vine two and three- supposed to be fry seedless (red grape without seeds) turns out to both be late fry from what I can tell, not a bad grape but not even close to what I ordered. Late fry is a bronze grape with seeds.

Last week I rip out the vines and order some new ones. I did not realize it until I got the conformation email today that I had ordered from the same people. I cancelled that order and decided to write a review of my experience.

Overall they have bad customer service and do not ship what you order. Overall I get the feeling that they just do not care.
On October 27th, 2010, Stu77047 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am changing my rating to neutral, because I received a call from Ison's and I felt like they genuinely want to make my order right. I will update as things progress.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]