The scoop on 'Nichols Garden Nursery'

Nichols Garden Nursery

1190 Old Salem Road NE
Albany, Oregon 97321-4580 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-422-3985
Fax: 1-800-231-5306

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Nichols Garden Nursery at:

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on August 9, 2003:
Nichols Garden Nursery is a family owned seed company and herb nursery located in Oregon's Willamette Valley. We are dedicated to providing quality products, service and information to home gardeners and market growers worldwide, through our extensive catalog and online store.

In our more than 50 years of business we have introduced many distinctive new plants and seeds, including Elephant Garlic, true tea plants, Saffron crocus, Legend Tomato, Betty's Blue Lavender, unusual salad blends and our Ecology Lawn Mixes. We offer a continuously expanding selection of organic certified seed. Best known for our herb seeds and plants we carry over 600 varieties of vegetables, herbs and flower seed for the gardener cook.

Nichols is proud to be an original signer of the Safe Seed Pledge and carries no GMO seeds.
Your gardening success and customer satisfaction are our first concern.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
June 2, 2013
Nichols have become one of my favorite sources for seeds. I like their selection and prices and on top of that they have a great newsletter and wonderful sales!! Explicit cultural information is printed right on the front of the seed packets, which I really like. I have never ordered plants or anything else from them, but I have no complaints about the seeds or the service I have received, everything has been great!! Highly recommended.
Positive gourmetgardens
Cookeville, TN
April 28, 2013
Great plants!!! I ordered 3 Yacon plants from Nichols Garden Nursery. They arrived on time and in perfect condition. I will definitely order from them again. Matter of fact - I will research this farm more just to see what other unique herbs and veggies that I want to experiment with. Thanks guys!
Positive janeholbrook
Riggins, ID
April 9, 2013
EXCELLENT results. I have ordered for 2 yrs. Received products quickly and in great condition. 100% germination; at the time specified on the envelope. Prices are great, all heirloom unless otherwise marked. Elephant garlic was huge. Even plants with a reputation as difficult to start did awesome, eg., echinacea. I have so many tomato starts I will have to sell the extra at the Farmer's market!! I love their product and great customer service. They are very responsive to email feedback.
Positive kitchengarden
Beltsville, MD
November 19, 2012
I ordered Du' Janski marbled purple stripe garlic this November from Nichols and received my order in two business days. The garlic heads were absolutely beautiful and in great shape, even at the end of the planting season. The shipping and handling charges were reasonable and the customer service was excellent.
Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
October 31, 2012
I recently ordered elephant garlic bulbs from this company (near the end of the fall planting season when it seemed as if everyone else was sold out). Bulbs were shipped promptly and looked to be good healthy stock.

Good experience.
Negative nashnewbie
Nashville, TN
September 28, 2012
I had always heard great things about Nichols but never had occasion to buy plants from them until last month. I wanted unsprayed (or organic) herb plants for a birthday gift. I ordered them via the website, but the order never went through. When I learned that (several weeks later), I re-placed the order, which went through. The plants were being sent to SF (from Oregon), so I wasn't concerned about the shipping via USPS 1st class, and they did arrive within a week. However, from what the giftee says, the plants were not in good condition. The most expensive plant, a Bay Laurel, was tiny and the leaves were tattered. I am/was very disappointed and wrote a note to Customer Service on their website, but have not heard anything back. I'm very surprised that they sent out plants that weren't in good shape. Perhaps it isn't a good idea to buy plants except in the spring.
Positive Flyingpiggs
(Zone 5a)
May 30, 2012
Placed my online order of three live plants (two kinds) on Sunday, and on Monday, I got an email saying it was shipped out. Two days later, I received two of the three plants I ordered, along with a note saying the other kind of plant I ordered was not growing as well as they wanted so it would be sent when ready.

About another week later, I got the other plant I ordered.

I also just recently ordered some seeds with them. They have one of the cheapest seed shipping costs of any companies I've ordered from, and it took about a week to arrive. They also gave me an extra packet of squash seeds for no reason.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 20, 2012
Posted on November 29, 2011, updated April 20, 2012
I can't believe I have waited so long to review this wonderful company. I have been ordering from them for years and years, off and on, in spite of changing gardening interests and sometimes even lack of gardening space. They always provide wonderful quality seed and plants at great prices, and always have some unique selections that are available nowhere else. Shipping has always been prompt and efficient. Nichols Garden Nursery is truly a national treasure.
On April 20th, 2012, Ispahan added the following:

Received an order for herb plants this week. Everything was healthy and well established in their pots. I love this nursery!
Negative priapuss
Ayden, NC
April 15, 2012
Sells seeds that were packed for an earlier year. For example, gretel eggplant seed (the fruit of which is very small with tough skins) sold to me in 2010 came in a packet that said "packed for 2009."
Company representative comment on July 16, 2012:
On Jul 16, 2012 1:21 PM, Nichols Garden Nursery responded with:

The seeds you refer to were sold and listed as clearance at a much reduced price and indeed were packed for 2009. We do, however, run germination tests on all discontinued items.

Positive WillysWoodPile
Kalamazoo, MI
November 18, 2011
I ordered... and 2 1/2 days later, I received my order. Now that's fast! Your shipping department employees should get a raise.
Positive LilyLover_UT
Ogden, UT (Zone 5b)
July 9, 2011
Nichols is one of my all-time favorite seed companies. I've been a customer for about 16 years. They are very generous with the number of seeds per packet, and the prices are quite reasonable.

I look forward to receiving the new catalog every year and spending many weeks planning my next vegetable garden. Thank you!
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
May 6, 2011
I have been quite satisfied with this company. I was able to order some out-of-the-ordinary seeds this year (corsican violet, golden hop vine, cardoons, an excellent mix of cabbages & a rare ruffled morning glory. All the seeds are sprouting as is the hop vine. Their prices are also quite competitive.
Positive crazyboutnonGMO
Saint Joseph, MO
March 12, 2011
Just got my order delivered today, everything nice packed and in good condition with very clear descriptions. I'm convinced that I found an avenue for my needs to start planting things that I can't buy and miss so much. Talked on the phone in a way that I expect customer support should be. E-mails were answered almost immediately. Great Job! I'll give them a 10 out of 10!!!!
Positive summerwynde
Dublin, NH
January 28, 2011
I ordered for the first time this year, so cannot report on germination. I was pleased that I received my order in a week after placing it. I will report back later with more information.
Neutral magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
October 5, 2010
Posted on October 4, 2010, updated October 5, 2010
I recently ordered Bogatyr (Marbled Purple Stripe garlic) and Georgian Fire (Porcelain Garlic). Even though their website allowed me to add it to my cart, their customer service team phoned to let me know that the Bogatyr was out of stock. Okay, it's pretty late in the season: no problem, just send me the Georgian Fire, which is the cultivar I most wanted, anyway. Well, my order arrived today. It most definitely was NOT Georgian Fire; it clearly wasn't even in the Porcelain family. It's unambiguously a Glazed Purple Stripe, probably Purple Glazer, since that's the one they carry. I emailed customer service back, only to be told "That's how our Georgian Fire looks this year." Well, unless Georgian Fire bulbs have eight - ten slenderish cloves, with thin, satiny-white bulb wrappers, and beautiful dark purple clove skins with silver overtones, I'm pretty sure they sent me the wrong thing. Just to make sure, I held a bulb of my own bonafide Georgian Fire Garlic next to these from Nichols, and asked my husband, who doesn't know a Porcelain garlic from a hole in the ground, if they looked anything alike: even he, bless his heart, could spot the difference from across a pretty dark living room. Everybody makes mistakes, but PLEASE don't insult my intelligence. I would hope that's all it is, just garlic that got put in the wrong bag, because I can't imagine that THEY don't know a Porcelain from a Glazed Purple Stripe. I did get a refund, both for the out of stock item and the Porcelain-cum-Glazed Purple Stripe, but I don't believe I'll be doing business again. Shame, they had some cool things in their catalogue, but I want to know that what I'm putting in the ground is what I THINK I'm putting in the ground.
On October 5th, 2010, magnaastra changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Just received an email from Mrs. Nichols McGee herself. I'm impressed that the owner of the company took the time to look into this. Am going to grow these bulbs out, next to 'my own' quality control specimens, and see what next July brings.
Positive kk151200
Cleveland, OH
June 13, 2010
I placed my order on Sunday and received my seeds on Friday. Fast service considering the distance the seeds were shipped (Oregon to Ohio).

Seeds came in packet and with useful information for planting.
Positive anglibet
Albany, OR
May 8, 2010
I have been ordering from Nichols for over 20 years. Always great germination and I love that they print the year that the seed was packaged right on the packet so I can reference it if there's seed left over for another planting. Also love the gummy envelope flap that opens and closes and reopens nicely for successive sowings. Bravo!
Neutral rwouhaybi
Portland, OR
March 10, 2010
Posted on January 12, 2010, updated March 10, 2010
I visited their store this last weekend and was impressed with the collection of seeds they have. I bought a wide range of vegetable seeds and I will report on my experience as I start planting them.
The lady working that day was very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. She definitely knew what she was talking about and was able to offer sound advice for the area (planting times and varieties that work ...). She also told me about their warranty on the germination rate and quality of their products.
On March 10th, 2010, rwouhaybi changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Update: Mar 10th, 2010.
I am not changing my rating of them from Positive to Neutral.
I have purchased 2 kinds of Artichoke seeds (Green Globe & Imperial Star). The germination rate of these seeds has been 40% and the survival rate is half of that; meaning for every 10 seeds I start, I get 2 healthy seedlings. This is quite low, even for artichokes. I tried talking to them during an exhibition in Portland Oregon and they gave me an additional packet of the Imperial Star for free. The new packet had the same rate. I am employing a heating mat and being patient with the seeds but even after waiting for over 3 weeks, the rate is the same. I tried emailing them through their website asking for help and advice 4 weeks ago on this but they never answered me.
I am rating as neutral instead of negative because I had a better luck with their broccoli and tomato seeds.
Positive pamsue
Gresham, OR (Zone 8a)
March 9, 2010
I have been buying seeds from this company for a long time and I usually walk in and buy seeds personally.. I placed an order through the relay service because I am hearing impaired and I got wonderful service from Helen who works there.. She was able to fill my order of seeds at the last minute on a weekend for my friend to pick up for me ( without hanging up on me as companies often do. )
High praise for the excellent customer service and the seeds were all in stock !
I get high germination rates from Nichols
pam sue
Positive Spinonitaliani
Newington, CT
January 23, 2010
I ordered a few packets from them on Monday and received my seeds on Thursday of the same week. All the packets look great and I can't wait to try them. The packets are small and bland, but the service, prices, and planting have been great! Will order again!
Positive A12
Lexington, KY
April 25, 2009
I ordered several packs of seed. All arrived quickly although one variety was backordered. When I contacted them about six weeks later after not receiving the seed, I was quickly sent a replacement variety, as the seed I had originally ordered was still not available. I found the customer service to be friendly and the seeds that have been planted so far are sprouting quickly . I will order from them again in the future.
Positive Tabacum
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
February 12, 2009
2/11/09.....Received my order this week....it was a small order of just seeds with a credit I had from last year....
Ordered two kinds of sunflower seeds, flower corn and
sweet pea seeds.....Half of the sunflower seeds were
curshed, along with a few of the flower corn seeds.....the
sweet peas are a large, hard seed, so they were not damaged......Seeds were packaged in a plain manila envelope.....Perhaps, if they had been sent in a bubble
wrap envelope, the seeds would not of been smashed
during its postage trip.....I hope the company reads this....
charge more postage if needed to protect the seeds that
are shipped....Maryanne, zone 5, Ohio
On February 18th, 2009, cannabinatea changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

2/18/09......Just a note to thank Nichols Nursery for replacing the crushed seeds....did not realize that your
staff would believe this happened...this time seeds were
sent in bubble wrap....they arrived in great condition....
thank you for your time to respond to this....Maryanne,zone5, Ohio
On March 23rd, 2009, cannabinatea added the following:

3/22/09......Received the Flower Corn Quadracolor seeds
as a replacement for those that were crushed during
shipping on my original order.......thank you very much
for your patience with this order.......Maryanne, zone 5.
Negative heirloompumpkin
San Francisco, CA
February 7, 2009
I won't be buying from them anymore. In late November 08 I placed an order with them and was told on the Order receipt that the Yard Long Red Noodle Bean was in backorder. It said, "Temp Out will Follow 2-3 Weeks".

Well, I never heard from them and it's been over a month and a half so I emailed them. I had to emailed them 3 times before they email me back with some stupid comments. Now what kind of customer service is that????

Few weeks later, they finally sent me my backorder and oh my gosh I could not believe the idiots sent it in a flat envelope with no bubble wrap- DUH! So all the seeds were crushed and I emailed them. They said they would send me another packet with a better envelope. Well it's been two weeks since that last email and have not seen my backorder yet.

Positive DarkEarth
Hillsboro, OR
January 19, 2009
I placed a large order the first week of January, including both seeds and bareroot plants. The next day, a Nichols rep. called me to offer to ship the seeds to me directly, as I indicated I wanted to pick up the bareroots when they're available in springtime (I live within driving distance). The seeds arrived just a couple of days later, allowing the slower-growing perennials to get an extra-early start on their first season.

This isn't the first time I've purchased seed from Nichols (my father bought seed from them when I was a child), but their customer service and prompt shipping has impressed me yet again. They offer a broad range of seeds (both food and flower), and lots of heirloom varietys at reasonable prices.
On February 4th, 2009, DarkEarth added the following:

Update - The germination rates have been very good, I now have slightly more onion seedlings than I had planned on. :-)
Positive rosiebards
Hartford, AL
June 11, 2008
On March 15 I ordered two plants and three packets of seeds. The postage was $7.50 plus 3.95 handling. They shipped the seeds and one plant - not too much of a wait. They didn't charge me the $7.95 for the other plant, a stevia. A while later they notified me that the stevia was on back order because the plants were not strong enough to make the trip and that it would be shipped soon. By this time, I'd ordered it from another source, but didn't do anything to stop it until, on May 13, while checking my bank balance, I saw that they were charging me another shipping fee. I immediately wrote and told them that, if they were charging me shipping again, I did not want the plant. I never heard from them. A few days later, the plant arrived. I've written them again and still haven't heard from them. Each plant cost them less than three dollars shipping. I wound up paying $15.00 shipping plus the 3.95 handling. Even though the plants are beautiful and healthy, and they've always been good in the past, I won't order from them again. The cost was too high, and the service was not good.
On June 14th, 2008, rosiebards added the following:

On June 13 they credited $15.45 to my bank account.
On June 15th, 2008, rosiebards changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

This morning, I had a letter of apology from them. Since it took a negative review to get their attention, I really can't change it to positive, but they have finally corrected the problem very nicely. And since I've always gotten good service and good product from them in the past, my conscience tells me that I can't leave this negative. So it is being changed to neutral.
On June 17th, 2008, rosiebards changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I have to apologize to the people at Nichol's. When I went to my mailbox today, I had a letter and check (which is of course being returned) from them. It was written on the tenth. That's before I first wrote to Garden Watchdog. I wasn't expecting snail mail and I just didn't give it enough time to get here. I am sorry.
Positive karyn1
Silver Spring, MD
May 22, 2008
I was terribly disappointed with my order from Nichols Garden. I ordered a Bolivian Sunroot seedling and some Oxalis tuberosa bulbs. I was charged $11.45 S&H for these two items fully expecting the order to be shipped priority, especially because they are on the West coast and I am on the East coast. I received the order today. It was shipped USPS 1st class which was much too slow and the Bolivian Sunroot looks marginal at best. The bulbs appear fine. If it was just a bulb order 1st class shipping would have been appropriate but not for a live plant when we are several thousand miles apart. Not only that but the actual shipping charges were all of $2.87. That's a big difference from the $11.45 that I was charged. I have my doubts that the Bolivian Sunroot will survive. I will never buy from this nursery again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
On June 6th, 2008, karyn1 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am changing my negative comment to a positive. I was contacted by someone from Nichols regarding my complaint and they seemed genuinely concerned about the bad product and offered to refund or replace the item. I chose to have them replace the plant and am happy to say it arrived today in very good condition.
Positive po_pazza
Arroyo Grande, CA
March 30, 2008
I've been ordering from Nichols for several decades. They always come through. Their herb selection is excellent. I've visited their nursery twice, and they offered a 10% discount to current Master Gardeners and lots of advice for the plants I picked up (2 huge Camellia sinensis which are thriving).
Positive glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL (Zone 7b)
January 7, 2008
My order arrived today in very good time. I've ordered before from them and so has my daughter. We've both had good results with germination. They do carry some vegetable seeds that I was unable to find anywhere else.
Positive containergarden
Los Angeles, CA
December 15, 2007
Over the last two years, I've ordered vegetable seeds 3 or 4 times from Nichols and it has become my favorite seed company. The selection is good, the germination rate is excellent, the seedlings are extremely vigorous, and the prices are good.
Positive adadia
Glenmoore, PA (Zone 6b)
October 8, 2007
I ordered garlic, saffron crocus, shallots, and Egyptian walking onions this fall, and the last of my order just arrived this morning. Although the prices are on the high end, these are some great bulbs! I feel they are worth the price. There were no duds at all, every bulb was perfectly fresh, and they are the first place I've been able to order a little late (beginning of september) that still had walking onions in stock (the main reason I ordered from here was availability late in the ordering season; I became aware of this place from their columns in Small Farm Today magazine, a great read.) Although a bit pricey, the quality is worth it, in my opinion; especially the saffron crocus, which are twice the size as the saffron I ordered last year from a flower bulb place. I can't wait to see what happens next spring (and fall, for the crocus)! Recommended.
Positive alinePoythress
Port Republic, VA
September 23, 2007
I have been ordering from Nichols Garden Nursery for nearly 40 years. I have never once had any problems with seeds which grow well here in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, their root stock and bulbs are excellent and arrive here in perfect condition. If you are a newcomer to Nichols Garden Nursery catalogue you will be so pleased when your order arrives. I'd suggest you recommend the catalog to friends. I recommended the catalogue to Spotswood High School's agricultural teacher since we are a heavy farming community and he was delighted with it and the unusual seeds it had to offer. I'd like to say, also, that when I call the nursery I'm always treated very cordially and if there is a question, it's always answered for me.
Negative moondreamer63
Clearlake, CA
September 9, 2007
I ordered Egyptian Walking Onions from Nicholls Garden Nursery. There were supposed to be 15 sets. What I got was 6 sets that were a good planting size, and 9 sets that were miniscule. If they advertise 15 sets, then all 15 sets should be close in size. The 9 were 1/4 the size of the 6 good sets.

I also ordered a set of 2 wooden garden trellises. The picture looked good. What I got was unsanded wood, with instructions that were unclear, accompanied by instructional photos that were impossible to decipher by someone who has had no experience in assembling items such as these. I had to go to my local hardware store so the employees there could show me what the pictures were telling me to do.
Positive biggered
Casa Grande, AZ (Zone 9b)
June 11, 2007
Last spring I ordered a few seeds from Nichols, among them was several packs of sunflower that was supposed to grow to 16 feet. I planted them in early spring and had good luck with germination and the flowers started to grow. the other day I noticed some of them along a 6 ft fence were blooming, which to m e means they are done growing. I sent Nichols an email and followewd it up with a phone call. after my explanation, a lady said they would gladly refund my money and 3 days later, BINGO, a check in the mail. they also said to cut the heads off and let them grow, which I did. mIf they make it to 16 ft, Im sending them the money back. a pleasure to do business with people like this.
Positive callipygian
Fargo, ND (Zone 4a)
April 1, 2007
I ordered from Nichols by mail, on March 15, & the order arrived March 24. Pretty good, I think. I was very happy with the packing and packaging. Other people have reported bad germination rates. I will report back when I know what mine are.
Positive valleygardener
Corvallis, OR
August 29, 2006
Nichols Garden Nursery is where I've been buying seeds and plants for over 20 years. They are located nearby so I like driving over to their lovely herb gardens and getting my seeds and supplies in their homey shop. When out of state guests arrive, this is often the place they most want to visit as they've been happily shopping by mail for many years. Great seeds, selection and knowledgeable friendly service. I think they have the most useful seed selection I've found.
Positive saanansandy
Sue, RI (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2006
I ordered several seeds from nichols in february 2006 and they came within a week of ordering(I ordered online). I started 8 each of jetsetter tomato and Pruden's purple organic tomato and every seed germinated. The plants are doing very well. I would definetly order from them again.
Positive Gabrielle
(Zone 5a)
January 18, 2006
I've only ordered once from Nichols and I was okay with them. The germination rates were mostly good. I would have preferred more information on the seed packets; some had good information on a slip of paper inside, but others had nothing but the name of the seed.
Positive fwfarm
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
September 27, 2005
I've been happy with their seeds, although there was one
tomato that was wonderful but very low germination. Their
selection of unusual greens is unequalled, and those have
germinated fine for me (turns out I don't actually like land
seaweed, but that's not their fault). I get a lot of winemaking
stuff from them. Prices on non-seed items are considerably
cheaper in their store, so I usually stop in.
Positive desertman888
San Jose, CA (Zone 9a)
May 1, 2005
I have been dealing with Nichols for many years. I find them to be very good people to do business with.
Positive johnsonjrbm
Olympia, WA (Zone 7b)
April 28, 2005
I ordered seeds, plants, and Mason bees from Nichols in 2003, and was very happy with everything. I didn't garden in 2004, but have ordered more seeds from them in 2005.