The scoop on 'Evergreen Y.H. Enterprises'

Evergreen Y.H. Enterprises

Anaheim, California 92817 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Negative veniacharya
Boulder, CO
April 25, 2012
I bought 8 varities of oriental seeds from Evergreen Y.H. Enterprises (EvergreenSeeds). NOT EVEN A SINGLE SEED SPROUTED. I try to contact by email .No response. No phone number on the web page. I am totally Disappointed.
Negative AnitTina
Eustis, FL (Zone 9a)
May 6, 2011
The shipping experience was positive no issues with this. However, I’ve had issues with the seeds and germination rate plant consistency. I tried every way possible to get these seeds to germinate out of full packs of seeds I ended up with 4 tomato plants 7 squash plants the beans did fine the pepper seeds did nothing the egg plant 3 plants I used entire packs of seeds planting every two weeks to try to get something to grow. Out of the whole pack of lettuce seeds planted thick I got 7 heads of lettuce. The squash I used the whole pack of seeds to get the plants I have and some of the squash are bottle shaped and light green others are dark green and oval same pack of seeds but the icing on the cake was the onion seeds for the red bunching onions I finally picked a few of them today every single one is white I could have gotten the white seeds at walmart for .20 cents.
I bought the winged beans and I know they are hard to germinate so I took care to soak scrape and work with the seeds I finally got 2 to germinate but the plants after months of care are still only 7 inches tall. I named them Marge and Homer because I spent so much time babying them. Cucumbers ˝ of them germinated that was one of the better ones. The cabbage seeds did nothing. I have written the company twice and had zero response to my emails. IMO I will never order from this company again. My order was over $40 I am not even sure what I have growing out there now. I planted in pots direct sow tried pre soak every trick in the book and nothing. I purchased from Gurneys no problem I bought from burpey wal-mart lowes home depot no problems with these seeds. If it was one pack of seeds I would not have taken the time to write the company or this review but it was pretty much the whole order other than the purple asparagus beans.
Positive DonFromNJ
Secaucus, NJ
May 7, 2010
Posted on April 29, 2010, updated May 7, 2010
There are far more positive than neutral or negative comments about this company. The negatives seem to be with shipping and customer service. I am now in the midst of this problem. It is 10 days since I got an email from them advising that my order had been shipped by first class USPS, April 19. I have not received my order as of today, April 29.
My email to them has not been answered. Their website has a notice that it has been temporarily closed down: April 23-May 5. Maybe they had a personal emergency or something. It would be reassuring to have some contact or clearer information available. Now it seems I have to wait a week more just for contact. I do hope that the seeds arrive in the meantime.
On May 7th, 2010, DonFromNJ changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I finally received my seed order on May 6. They never contacted me regarding the delay in my order. Their web site is back in service. I would believe that there must have been a serious situation to have caused this interruption in their business. Problems due arise, and I try to be understanding, but it would be helpful if an explanation would be available at the time. Others have complained about a lack of a phone number for contact. Perhaps a language problem? If there is a valid reason in terms of communication, it would be helpful if it were explained. I am pleased that I got my seeds and wrote them a note of thanks.
Positive twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b)
November 3, 2009
I ordered 17 packs of seed on 10/29 and was very surprised to find them all in my mailbox today on 11/02. That had to be next day shipping since it was1st class mail. I'm very pleased and will certainly order again.

Their website specifies "small pkg." and I was a bit concerned over what I might receive. I'd say the quantity of seed is about normal for what you'd find on seed racks. The info on the packs is also easily understood and the prices are reasonable.

This company specializes in warm climate seeds which is an under served market in my opinion. I've already had amazing results from one of their warm weather cauliflowers and can't wait to try these others. I highly recommend this company for the fine service I've received.
Neutral shireena
Falls Church, VA
September 11, 2009
I ordered about $20 orth of seeds for Fall crop. The responded promptly and said they sent the package out. It took a really long time to get it (nearly 2 weeks) for first class mail. Maybe it was the Post office that was slow, couldn't tell because there was no postmark on it.
Negative seedoffaith
Saint Louis, MO
May 27, 2009
I placed my order on May 18 but still haven't receive my shipment as of to date. I emailed them but have not hear back from them. Same like previous complaints, I couldn't find any contact number that I could call.
I placed an order with Kitazawa on that same day and received the shipment on May 21. In the future I would buy from Kitazawa first before I consider Evergreen.
Negative arride21
McConnells, SC
April 29, 2009
On April 11, 2009, I order some Asian seeds from Evergreen Y.H. Enterprises about 30 different kind of seeds and it cost me $825.00. I received the order on April 25, 2009. They did not sent all the seeds that I ordered. They was 4 different kind of seeds that are missing and they still charge me the full price on the order. I e-mail them 4 times since then and they never response. I search them on the internet (Google) and find a phone number which is 714-637-5769 but it was only a fax number. I know a good company will give their contact information out to their customer. I am scared because I am not able to get a hold of them at all. I don't know what kind of company that will not give their contact information to their customer. I know all good company strive to do their best to served they customer but Evergreen Y.H.enterprises did not do that. Instead they hide their contact information from their customer. Help please, If anybody know how to get a hold of this company. I need to talk to them. They took some much money from my credit card but did not provide me with all the products that I order.
Negative hstrahl2000
Hemet, CA
April 24, 2009
There is no way possible to contact anybody in this company. I placed my order on the 21st and have tried to email them and call them to see when my order will be shipped the email was not valid and the phone went to the fax instead. How do you get hold of a company like this. They have already taken money out of my account. I would love to resolve this if I can get a hold of somebody.
Negative blancetts
April 23, 2009
Positive otinkabel
Encinitas, CA
May 22, 2008
This company has an outstanding collection of oriental seeds displayed in an easily navigable set of pages. THe turnaround time on my order was remarkable. I had mistakenly forgotten to update my shipping address on the Yahoo shopping cart. At my request, they promptly sent me a new set of seeds to the updated address - sincerely appreciated.

I will be back with an update on how the seeds performed!
Positive NBS
Willard, MO
February 1, 2008
I have been gardening for over 40 years, most of it with oriental seeds. The last 5 years exclusively with Evergreen. Tremendous assortment, great quality and sure delivery. I would recommend this place to anyone serious about oriental vegatable gardening. One of the best comapnies I have ever dealt with.
Positive aqmdtran
San Antonio, TX
April 18, 2007
Ordered my seeds on 4/14 got my seed on 4/18. That's fast service. The seeds are package neatly in packages with very clear and precise direction. Will see how it will grow. Learned from the packaging that gourd needed to be manually pollinated. No wonder I didn't get any gourd last year. Going to order some more today.
Positive Lamiaceae
Granville, OH (Zone 6a)
September 13, 2006
This is a wonderful company. Their selection is unmatched, with many vegetable and herb varieties found nowhere else. Prices are good for the most part, and seed quality/quantity was excellent. My order was shipped the same day I placed it!

The only complaint I have is that they got some of the scientific names wrong; the mini bottle gourd was labelled "Momordica charantia" (it's Lagenaria siceraria) and the azuki beans were "Vigna radiata" (Vigna angularis). Just something to watch out for, I think.
Positive petit_potager
May 23, 2006
A treasure trove of Oriental vegetables that will delight the Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, and Vietnamese cook.

They offer more than 300 varieties of Oriental vegetable seeds. They have convenient Asian vegetable horticultural information explaining that, “Actual seed conditions can be very much different among the varieties in the same vegetable group and even among the different seed lots of the same variety.”

Their seed has always preformed well and their service is equally good.
Positive jxmc
Tallahassee, FL
January 30, 2005
only place I could find seeds for east Indian eggplants

web site easy to use

order came quickly

will see how well seeds germinate
Positive kc55112
June 10, 2004
Good selection of Asian vegetable seeds. Seeds were delivered quickly. Good germination results.
Positive gracek312
May 25, 2004
This company was quick to ship, and the seeds were in top shape. All of them have been planted and are leafing out nicely.
Also, the seeds they had available are not readily available in the US and was most impressed they were carrying the varieties!
I would buy from them again!
Positive NickiK
Portland, OR (Zone 8b)
May 24, 2004
This company has an excellent seed selection; I just received an order for some fairly obscure seeds and the packets are very generous, and the germination is better than I was expecting (I ordered mostly salad greens). The individual packets have helpful information on them that is very clearly explained as well. I will be putting in another order with them when I get my next paycheck
Positive mydogcisco
Austin, TX
November 2, 2003
For the variety of Asian vegetables, excellent descriptions and web site design/usability, this company cannot be beat. I have ordered many items from them and the seed germination has been excellent. The intrigue of my fellow community gardeners over the "new" vegetables was by itself well worth the price of the seeds. Eating the vegetables was a much enjoyed bonus! Please give them a try...you will not be disappointed.
Positive fruittree
May 3, 2003
i got malabar spinach and some miniature mellon seeds ,seems like every one germinated. quick excellent service and verry fresh seed . fruittree micco fla....
Neutral sleepycookie
February 6, 2003
bought a few varities of bittermelon. they seem to have a great selection. i couldn't find these vareties anywhere else on the net, very ahppy to find it at this site. customer service is very helpful. bought a few seeds, will see what turns out
On February 11th, 2003, sleepycookie changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

got my seeds. very little amount of seeds, about 10, but it's a packet, so it's understandable. only problem is that i paid 3.50 for postage but actual price was 60 cents.
Positive BakerCreekSeed
Mansfield, MO (Zone 6b)
February 10, 2002
A great company, with great oriental seed!
Positive pepperpepper
February 9, 2002
This is the only specialty catalogue that I use. My japanese, vietnamese & chinese customers have all been thrilled to have veggies like they have when they visit the old country!

The selections of yard long bean alone are worth ordering from the catalogue. Hyb. & o.p., for mild/temperate, hot summer AND sub-tropical climes are offered!

The packets of the fanciest hybrids are small, the prices range from 'ok' to 'no way'. But I order from them every year anyhow.

If your cukes peter out in the hight of summer give one of theirs bred in taiwan a try. It will laugh at our idea of 'a hot summer' & keep on turning out bitter-free beauties.
Positive Violet
Springfield, MO (Zone 6a)
February 7, 2002
Excellent selection, very thorough descriptions of the often misnamed asian varieties of vegetables. They have several varieties of each product which are difficult to find anywhere else so easily.

Excellent and informative, well designed web site, great service.

I highly recommend.