The scoop on 'Steele Plant Company'

Steele Plant Company

Gleason, Tennessee 38229-7912 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on January 23, 2003:
We have a new website called sweetpotatoplant.com. We sell 10 varieties of sweet potato plants and several varieties will grow anywhere in the U.S.Some varieties mature in 90 days which makes them great for Northern gardens.We also sell onion plants in several varieties.Everthing you need to know is on the website.Please visit us. Our family owned business would love to here from you.

Comments:

Negative qterhrs
Friedens, PA (Zone 5a)
June 1, 2012
Posted on January 2, 2009, updated June 1, 2012
I ordered onion and sweet potato plants from this company. The onions arrived with prefect timing for planting. Very nice plants that grew beautifully.
The sweet potato plants were a different story. They were tiny dead plants. I tried to nurse them back but no luck. I called the company and told them I might be able to still save 4 plants (they did end up dying) but the company sent me an entire new order that I received in 2 days. The new order was big plants that grew beautifully. My only thought is why I didn't receive the big plants in the first order.
I will order again from them this year.
On June 1st, 2012, qterhrs changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I have been ordering from this company for a few years now and have always had small problems that I overlooked but this year was the worst.
First my onions came at the beginning of March. I called them to let them know it was too soon to plant in my area but CS blamed me for not choosing a date to ship.
Called last week about where my slips are and they said they were shipped 2 weeks ago and they would reship when they had a chance. Got my slips and had 4 grow bags set up to plant, 3 per bag. Low and behold there are only 9 plants! Am I to wait longer for them to ship the remaining plants? It's not like I ordered a huge amount and was shorted a couple, sorry someone who works there cant count to 12.
Ordered the beginning of Feb and was charged at that time so they know my orders long in advance. There is no notification or tracking of when your orders are shipped, so you just watch your mail for live plants when they show up. The last straw is needing to call every seaon because of errors on their part and they are not as nice as they where in the past. Do they think I like to call long distance with problems? I will not order from them again.
Neutral eldonk
Glencoe, MN
January 21, 2012
Posted on July 30, 2010, updated January 21, 2012
I ordered some sweet potato plants last winter from Steele and they finally shipped on the 23rd of May ( a bit late for Minnesota). I notified them that the order was short and a bit late and that the plants did not look good but I planted them anyway. Did not receive the rest of the plants for another week. The balance of the Georgia Jets also looked bad but the other varieties looked fine. Their literature said the plants would do well even if they looked bad when received but all but about 6 of the 50 ordered survived. I had noticed on their web page before I received my order that they were not accepting orders for any more Georgia Jets because they did not have enough. I assume that is why they shipped plants they would probably not have normally shipped. I have sent them one notice that the plants were very sickly looking and another email early July telling them the mortality on the Georgia Jets I planted and they have not responded. Their Web page states that they will not accept responsibility for plant that do not produce because they can't control how they are treated after they are received. Since the other varieties I received did fine I believe they are fully aware that the problem is in the quality of the plants they shipped but refuse to acknowledge it or to compensate me. All of you readers know that there is a lot more involved in bad starting plants than just the cost of the plant but the vendor should at least make good on that part of it, especially when they know full well that the plants they shipped were not good quality.

If you buy from them you may get good plants; some of mine were good, but if they are not - it is obvious that they really don't care!
On January 21st, 2012, eldonk changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

They did call back weeks later (result of this rating?). They did replace the bad plants and all of them grew fine the following year. Had they responded when I was having the problems and explained the problem and promising to replace them, I would probably change rating from neutral to positive.
Positive PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO (Zone 6a)
June 2, 2010
Recently placed an order for two varieties of sweet potatoes. Received my order in a timely manner and did receive a generous number of slips. I've ordered slips from numerous sources over the years and I can say without hesitation that these slips are the best.
Neutral Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA (Zone 7a)
May 15, 2009
I sent an email asking about ordering slips and if snail-mail or phone were the only options.

I received a 1 line email in response that said, "We are out out for the season."

Good or bad, first it didn't answer my question and second customer relations must be last on their list in my opinion. I'll find a friendly company that is interested in the home gardener.
Positive MarkP
Missoula, MT (Zone 4a)
May 7, 2009
Onion plants received just as website stated and, in good shape. First order with them and if the sweet potato slips arrive in time in good shape, well, we have a winner!
Positive dave
May 20, 2008
The order took longer to ship than I was originally quoted, and the communication from the company was non-existent, but the plants arrived in excellent condition and I was pleased to have ordered from them.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
May 6, 2008
Excellent plants and they ship early enough for planting in Middle Georgia. They respond quickly and courteously to inquiries. They also have a good selection of the better modern cultivars.
Positive markc125
Winthrop, ME
April 2, 2008
Super great transplants and service. I've grown sweet potatoes for three years and I am amazed at the harvests, even in Maine. People are surprised when I tell them how easy they are to grow. Try them!
Positive GroundHogKiller
Kennett Square, PA
June 5, 2007
I would prefer to order online, but their site only allows an order sheet to be printed and then faxed. I had ordered late from them as I was having problems getting the sweet potato plants from another company. Their customer service was friendly and it was apparent that they were part of the parent company and very knowledgeable. They shipped when they told me and there were more than 30 very healty plants for an order of 25. I will be using them again in the future.
Positive DrCochran
Mammoth Spring, AR
May 31, 2007
I called them in a bind as my usual local suppliers were coming up very short on slips. The lady I spoke with told me my plants wouldn't be shipped for about a week and a half after I ordered causing them to arrive while I was on vacation. When I explained this to her she pondered a moment; then she squeezed me in on an earlier shipment. The slips arrived better than promptly, though I did pay a dash extra for expedient shipping. The slips were healthy and the shipment was generous. Now the yields are up to me. I will trade with them again despite their prices being somewhat higher than the local farm store as they seem much more dependable and have much more variety.
Positive GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ (Zone 8b)
April 11, 2007
I called Steele appx 2 weeks ago to order slips for Sweet potatoes. They were very helpful helpful with specific information about the varieties I was ordering. Never grown them before so I needed guidance. The slips arrived Monday in great condition with a booklet on how to plant and care for them and a flyer of recipes. Can't ask for better service!
Positive dranged
December 10, 2003
I ordered sweet potato plants in 2001 & 2002. When I called the company in 2001 to make my first contact, I found the staff friendly, knowledgeable and informative. Being somewhat casual about my gardening and a novice at sweet potatoes, I was very pleased with the yields I received.

In 2002, I also ordered onion plants (Texas 1015) and was delighted with the quality of the plants both upon receipt and at harvest time!

I expect to order from the Steele Plant company again in 2003.
Positive NewEnglandGardener
Auburn, ME
July 3, 2003
Not too expensive. They only ship in-season. Personal service meaning someone from the farm called me. They do not appear to be using an answering service or boiler-room order processing service. Good sweet potato plants, extra slips, labels, and thorough planting instructions. Even a little cookbook!